400w MH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnO

Reaction score
Ok, I got my seedlings germed, there in 16oz cups with there two circle leaves out of the soil.... what should the height of my light be above my little seedlings :hubba:

Is it good to germinate roots so there like 5 inches or am i better off just letting them be 1 or 2

JohnO said:
Is it good to germinate roots so there like 5 inches or am i better off just letting them be 1 or 2
im not sure what the heck germinating roots are, but you said only 2 fan circle fan leaves? I would keep that pretty far, they dont need much light, say 15'-20'??

Headband is right with what he said.If you have some CFL's or some flor's that would be better.They are not so intense light and they throw off alot less heat.Them seedlings are a fragile little things.Wait until around the second to third week and then let them have the MH.Hope this helps.Keep it GREEN:D

Get some floros for the first week or so and then start your MH at least 2-3 feet away to harden the seedlings up to the intense light. Just lower it gradually every day. Also, when you germinate the seeds, plant them in dirt as soon as the root tip starts popping out of the seed with the root pointing up towards the top of the soil. The root will curl down and that helps to start a good rooting system. Dont let the first roots get really long before planting them. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Some pics would be great. We love pics. Take care my friend.

You will be fine with the MH bulb jsut watch the distance on it, IMO a foot and a half to two feet off will be good for the first couple of weeks and then you can start lowering it just a bit.

Alright thanks alot and umm what should be the timing on my light for just starters

because you are going with a MH, go with an 18/6 schedule, IMO

whats MH, HPS or CFL, have to do with time differences??? yes, clf is less intense, so 24 would be ok, but same with hps or MH, 24 fine. WE are recreating the sun, which is impossible... like i said 20' away, 24/24. leave the light on all the time, some people use 18/6 but 24/24 is the way to go, faster i assume. Well thats my opinion. i would maby even go 24' just far enough to keep the temps in the low 70's, and not an intense amount of light. You can break em in using floro's, but why would you buy a MH then??? you already have it, and its better than floro's, just use that, farther away than normal, cus they little babies:p

Alright I already had it on 18/6 as what i have it on right now... Might switch to the flouro for the babies cause I do have some quarter foot plants that still need it the MH

oh kay, 24/24 i like, but you do what you like. yea a few 4 ft floros shoud do the trick, till they get a little more mature, then put em in with the other babies.. 1/4 foot. thats like 3 inches tall, those should be put under floros too.

I have used both 24/24 and 18/6 and can honestly say I have seen no difference at all between the two. I use 18/6 because it saves a little on the electric bill.

Starting seedlings with MH I would keep the light at about 28" or a little less for the first week maybe two weeks (careful of stretching) and then lower accordingly. As for floro tubes, I keep them about 1 1/2 inches above the seedlings and for the entire veg process.

24/0 that is 24 hours on 0 off, will produce shrter, tighter node spaceing than 18/6. THAT IMHO, is the only benefit. 20/4 will allow for the bulb and ballast a cooling period if you so desire.

hps = flowering =] 40 watt fluoros for vegg is good

my friend uses them right over the plant and the results are phenominal

its grown to 8 inches (wide) in a matter of days

from about 4

trial and error i guess

just raise the bulbs with the grow

just pay attention to the lumens for each bulb dont buy low lumens

Thanks alot.. Im not going to worrie on the plants i got right now I have some seeds coming in the mail atm with them I will take better care say half foot plants to put under MH?

Latest posts

Back