5 Weeks Flowering, Losing Her?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumbBlackFinger

Reaction score
So my 3 girls are about 5-6 weeks into flower, under 4 48" fluorescents and 2 CFLs. They have all been doing really well but about a week ago one of them took a turn for the worst. Out of nowhere, her leaves are curling down, browning on the tips and the whole plant has become weaker. The stem feels very weak and is even having a hard time holding her up. I havent given them any nutes in a while so i dont think it could be nute burn. I have also flushed her soil and she is still unhappy, at this point im not sure what to do because she is declining but the other 2 are very healthy. Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I guess i'll have to chop her early.

IMG_1560.JPG

wow this is a first. 24 hours and no replies? come on guys, i think she might be dying on me and she smells so delicious!

Whats the soil temps?

dang man sounds like we are having some sillar symptoms here.mine was foing fine and then started getting yellows spots on the lower fn leaves.now the upper leaves are turning down and the tips are getting brown and crisp.i am starting 5 weeks flower also.i transplanted her last night and seems to be doing a little better.not real sure.it didn't hurt her by putting her in bigger pot tho.not sure what to do now.just quit giving her nutes,water only for awhile and see.thats all i know to do.somebody help us out here.

What is the soil temps if using soil?

Whats the bottom temps of grow area and whats the top temps of grow area.

i dont know, my digital thermometer isnt working right now. maybe she is just not meant to be smoked lol.

Man, It doesn't seem to be dying, she doesn't look that bad... I think if you give her some PH regulated water from now on she'll make it to your Bong :D
I hope so... Anyway...

hows her ph? just see how she goes for a week or so :)

Definitely check the pH. Are you using municipal or reverse-osmosis filtered water? pH balancing the water doesn't remove the nasty ions that are in there. How moist is the soil? It looks like they might be suffering from overwatering.

Also, there appear to be yellowing and grayish-wilting leaves at the bottom of the plants, which could indicate a phosphorous deficiency. The soil you get in the stores has about 3 weeks worth of nutrients, so if you are in your 5th week of flowering, you should at least be giving 1/4 to 1/2 strength NPK nutrients.

If you had nute burn, the edges of the leaves would be turning light yellow, then brown, then crispy, and plant growth would stop entirely.

Also, have you considered getting something more powerful than HOs and CFLs? You would see a significant increase in growth rate and yield.

do you keep water in that drain pan all the time?

no there isnt water in the drain pan all the time, i took that pic after watering when i decided to ask you all for help. and yes i have thought about getting a HPS instead of using the fluoros, im just too broke at the moment and this is only my first grow anyways. planning on getting some seeds and a HPS when its affordable. :) the nutes i give them are organic dr earth that are a 5-5-5 mix i believe. 2 tsp per gallon plus a little superthrive. im just confused that this plant totally changed when the other 2 are perfectly fine but they are all living with the same conditions. oh well. time will tell. thanks for all the good advice guys

greenthumb1 said:
looks like you're overwatering her...
those were my initial thoughts when I looked at the pic's.

..a l'il off topic,, but I am seeing more and more "Supa'thrive' referances. Anyone ever bother to research that crap??
"I" am of the school that believes it is nothing more than plant snake oil. I have NEVER had even satisfactory results with it, let alone any "sensational" improvements, as they, there website suggests.
It contains a little B1, which is an effective plant vitamen, and the same defoliate as used in the vietnam eras "Agent Orange".. the rest is a "great mystery" of secret (trade secret) ingredients.. :eek:

Not all are much enamored of Superthrive, and it DOES contain ingredients that WILL hurt your plants if overused. It contains synthetic auxin, the same growth regulator that was used in defoliants in Viet Nam. This question arises soo often, that I saved a synopsis of an experiment I've repeated 4 times, with some loose controls in place. You may, or may not find it interesting, but I am pretty settled with my conclusion(s).
hxxp://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0520013125812.html

The mystery potion sold as 'SuperThrive' gets a lot of press, but you'll find very little information in those paragraphs and endorsements.

Harold Garrett, the Texas 'Dirt Doctor', describes Superthrive as 'A liquid product made from vitamins and hormones. It is a good supplement for flowering plants. Use at 3 drops per gallon at each watering for best results. It can be mixed with other products.'

I don't like that description, frankly. When someone is that secretive, about a plant product, they look sneaky to me. I have to wonder if something's rotten in Denmark. And I am disappointed in Mr Garrett's vague verbage. C'mon - 'a liquid product'? You mean, it's a liquid? Nothing like meaningless information to discourage more questions.

But there's something even weirder about this description (if you can call it that) of Superthrive. THEY (who, we don't know) insist this is NOT A FERTILIZER. My hunch is that THEY have a reason to tell us what it's NOT. Reason being, you have to register Fertilizers in some states. In Indiana, for instance, a 'Fertilizer' is 'any substance containing Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potash, or any recognized plant nutrient that is used for its plant nutrient content and that is designed to have value in promoting plant growth. The term includes unmanipulated animal and vegetable manures.
hxxp://en.allexperts.com/q/Fertilizer-717/additives-superthrive.htm

Ah, faith healing. That's the only way to get an effect with Superthrive.
hxxp://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=cephalotus&thread=538&page=1

To SuperThrive or not to SuperThrive, that is the question.

I don't hate the product, I just wish their marketing was a tad bit less sensational. We all want a quick fix and in the quick fix department that product stands alone. It does it all! Makes you want to charge the doors of the closest retailer elbowing your way to the front of the line to get your hands on those little miracle drops screaming, "Me First! Me First on gardener proof potions, tonics, and elixirs!" I feel so empowered just having owned it that I should go right out and buy a wooden baseball bat to root.
hxxp://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=dionaea&action=display&thread=606

thanks hick ,,,somebody just bought me some of that and ive heard good things about it ,,but allways wondered ,,,i might just use it on 1 plant and see if i can see any of the wonderfullness its suppose to perform :p

I don't rememver who it was said it, but something akin to.. "if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes common knowledge" or something of the sort.. :p

lol too true hick!

Melissa, do let us know how you get on and if their is any difference overall with the one plant with superthrive. - might make an interesting grow journal addition :)

i dont know what to think about that stuff. i got it for free, so i figure i might as well use it. honestly, i think it helps but its probably a scam since it says on the bottle to add it to a fertilizer... hence when the fertilizer helps your plant you think WOW that superthrive really did the trick! i think it helps but isnt as good as it says it is.

Latest posts

Back