50-5 gal grow bags vs. 50 5 gal holes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawaiian5

Reaction score
im leaning more to the bag side. but than again im thinking the plants might get to big for the bags. can anyone shed some light? pros ND CONS FOR BOTH..

The only reason I ever found for growing outdoors in containers, was that the plant could be moved if I thought my grow was compromised. Other than that I like to give my plants a nice big hole, that I turn in all sorts of goodies. I prefer growing in a hole, but at the same time I have been happy on certain occasions when I grew in a container.

Root ball on an outdoor plant can easily fill a 5 gl container. They work, but by harvest you will see that the roots have taken every bit of room. In a hole your roots are able to spread out to find moisture.

Also Pots, or bags, dry out faster, and get hot, so they will require more work from you, which is okay if they are close by, but if you are guerilla growing bags may not be the way you want to go.

I have done both, and I guess I prefer to grow in holes. stealthier, and less work.

Holes all the way. Grown in containers and definately dry out too quick if you get a hot dry spell. Also not really enough room for root expansion. Just dig a nice hole 2ft deep 3-4ft wide and simple ammend the existing soil. You could either get some promix or you could mix up your own stuff perlite, peatmoss, topsoil, or whatever but in the end you will do less work putting them in the ground then attempting containers imho. good luck peace out

That's alot dank. Hope there all fem cuttings. Rent a backhoe and plow a trench. I did that one year and did 10 plants, about 8-12oz each. Took pics if you need. But you get the idea. More root room the better. I cooked kinda lime a sub cool soil and backfilled the trench. Watered with 1200gal pump straight from ice cold river water. No nutes. Ahh, the good old days. Indoor growing is just blah, compared, IMO.

Indoor is allright...but growing like a wild man is good for you...I never felt better than running down a fence line...what a rush. I'm not getting any exercise growing inside. Outdoors is better full circle, it's healthier for you and your plant...and no indoor smoke can ever compare to doing it in the countryside. If you don't believe me take your killer cut, and grow it outdoors, it trumps indo hands down.

But you are working in the open..driving with plants...risking the stormtroopers, hunters, or critters. It has it's downside...by fall it has always turned into a lot of work.

I like to use containers...great for stealth if planes are flying over or rain comes or I have guests or the cable goes out....now if I was growing in a bigger back area very secure maybe I would go into the ground...sometimes we dont know how big plants will get unless we have grown them before...with holes you are stuck with the containers they can be spread out and moved for best advantage.

2Dog I agree if they are in your backyard...yeah I would use containers to...I was comparing to guerilla style. If I could grow in my back yard they'd be in big 10 gallon containers, for sure.

it totally depends on the situation imo... ;)

The bigger the hole/grow-pot the bigger the plant. I also like the outdoor growing with organic materials. I have started my own worn beds. I have a good friend who has an organic dairy farm where I get poo for the soil and I also make a killer cow tea. I go to the fisheries and collect free shrimp and crab shells for mulch. Almost forgot about the kelp. There are so many free goodies for your soil that the ladies love. Those green tassels things that are hanging from the Alder trees now are a excellent nitrogen source. Green blessings to you all peace out

1 of the biggest down falls I can see to growing in growbags is there is no support for the plants to with stand rain and blowing winds. When a plant is in the ground the root system has a hold on the soil, allowing it to withstand the forces of nature better then when it is in a pot/grow bag. If you are able to move them in out of the weather that is great but if the plants are to be outside at all times. I would dig BIG 2' to 3' round by 2' to 3' deep holes for each plant

Latest posts

Back