5th wk flower pale leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420 Murder Ln Garberville

Reaction score
ok...so i started to have a yellowing prob a few weeks back. I have 1 gal pots stacked, coco medium, and used earth juice bloom, molasses, kool bloom each watering 2 times a week. When I first noticed the prob I assumed a nitro (yellowing) prob but that wasn't it. So I added a tsp cal-mag to each gal by itself. No difference so I continued cal-mag along with reg nutes. Bear in mind I am working with Sour D, Bubba Kush and 1 Urkle which I know that the first two demand lots of nutes. My room is 7x3 inside a larger 10x11 room with a ceiling fan and a 24-7 open 4ft window. Off temp= 69* on temp= 89*. I have CO2 running at 2100ppm so that should offset the high running temp from the 1000w hps. Should I just run pow flush since I've pretty much tried everything else? The leaves won't go back green and no new leaf growth is expected. Plants are resinous and hardening up otherwise. Or any other suggestions from experienced people is appreciated.

CIMG1914.JPG

CIMG1916.JPG

CIMG1926-1.JPG

CIMG1927.JPG

CIMG1929.JPG

If you were feeding every watering, I'm gonna assume you got a nute buildup which eventually locked everything out. I would say go ahead and do the flush followed by a light nutrient solution. Just throwing stuff out there though, I might wait for a few other opinions.

so I'll do a thorough flush 2morrow and after that's done I'll add my nutes @ 1/2 the regular dosage. I'm pretty sure that it's a lockout. But I'll follow up as well Thanks

Not sure what you mean by your pots are stacked.
Wanted to ask about watering schedule, how dry does your coco get between feeds? Water twice a week in coco? I HAVE to water every day or they dry out, i've read guys journals who water twice a day with coco and by water that means poring it through till get about 10-15% run off.
Thought i'd ask as if i let mine go too long without water they get droopy and lower leaves start to yellow

Newbud said:
Not sure what you mean by your pots are stacked.
Wanted to ask about watering schedule, how dry does your coco get between feeds? Water twice a week in coco? I HAVE to water every day or they dry out, i've read guys journals who water twice a day with coco and by water that means poring it through till get about 10-15% run off.
Thought i'd ask as if i let mine go too long without water they get droopy and lower leaves start to yellow
Alright...so by stacked I mean that I start off in 1 gallon pots until the end of veg. B4 I flip them to 12/12 I cut the bottoms of the pots off and put another pot full of the same medium underneath as to allow more room for the roots to explore. When I do water I give about an inch to inch 1/2 of water (from the top), let it settle and then top it off with another 1/2 sized shot. I do have runoff on some but others I don't. I don't want the medium to get water logged, but coco is a 1st for me. I'll try a flush, 1/2 strength nutes, and a spritz every 2nd day, even if it's a lesser shot, just to keep it on the moist side to see what happens. I don't want to do too many things at once or I won't isolate the problem!:hubba:

Yeah thats true much better to do little changes as you say.
One thing i will say though is its very very hard to over water once the plants over about 6 inch tall when in coco.
Gona dig something up for you to read, you treat it like your feeding the coco too cos it carries no nutrient value of its own

Its pretty long but it helped me.
The last paragraph is of particular interest.

Growing on Coco: Busting the Myth
by Ralph B. Par

The Indoor Gardener Magazine Volume 3 - Issue 6

Coconut peat has some wonderful physical properties that greatly benefit plant growth. To begin, it is renewable - no stripping of nature's resources. It makes use of the final product left over from cultivating and harvesting the much-prized nut. At the right point in its decomposition, coco peat can be used as a stand-alone medium with no need to add perlite or other persistent amendments. Coco peat itself is fairly pH-stable and buffers the pH well, in a very acceptable range for plant growth. WHile they are fairly solid and big early on, once the peat particles are treated and decomposed to a certain point, they are like sponges with micro-pores that hold water, away form the plant roots but available to replenish the larger pores the plant root can access. This effectively limits excess water while retaining water reserves. These particles hold onto no ions, only what may fill and dry on the particles themselves. So as long as the medium is moist , nutrients are available. At the proper point of decomposition, the particles form the perfect combination of air-to-water, because of the different fractions now present, which can actually mean more air space to water pace, with the micro-pores holding a reserve of water, giving a nice water buffer. Unlike peat moss, it has no oil on its surface, so wetting the particle is never an issue. The key in all this is to decompose the particle to the perfect point. The problem is still that the rate of salt release remains high at this perfect point.

Controlling the decomposition process, adding the correct nutrient buffer to adjust the ratio, feeding the plants the proper ratio of nutrients to offset the coco's "giving off" will produce the perfect growing conditions. When the medium is not taken into account, the results can be disastrous. Even when fed correctly, and the correct "buffer" of nutrient ratio set up, just one watering with plain water will wreck the buffer, sending the plant and medium into shock and rapidly escalating the potassium level. Consequently, plants that do not have enough of some ions like calcium (there are several) due to underfeeding or washing out will show a deficiency in these and other elements. Meanwhile, potassium builds up the plant tissue, ultimately leading to margin burning on the leaf surface, mostly at the tip. The first thing the inexperienced grower assumes is that he is overfeeding and has salt issues. He will decrease the feed concentration and leach the medium. This, of course, magnifies the problem and makes it worse. The key to proper coco growing is to use the right feed to balance the products the coco gives off. Think not only about availability, but about the ratio of one mineral to another as well. It is also important to water correctly.

Coco peat holds about 33% more moisture then similar grades of peat-based mediums if its structure is sound. Since a great amount of this is tucked away in the micro-pores, the medium can look dry but still be plenty wet. The same rules apply here as in soil or soilless mixes: water when the container loses 50% of the maximum water it will hold against gravity (immediately after drainage of a newly watered container). This is done by weight and yes, it does change with time, root mass, humidity, temperature and grower temperament (thumb on scale syndrome).

By controlling the decomposition and particle size closely, there is no need for anything to increase drainage, like perlite, and this removes a disposal concern. Even more air space can be achieved by increasing the fraction of coco fibers and husks. This results in a totally renewable and biodegradable medium that resists compaction. Finally, the pH of the medium, when buffered and controlled, remains constant pretty much throughout its useful life. The medium sets its pH at between 5.2 and 6.2, a perfect range, and will hold it there, unlike peat-based products that try to go back to a pH of 4.5 or less within three months of being planted. By using the correct age of coco with the right porosity, coco potting medium should be able to work through almost a year's worth of crops before being changed. The pH stays correct and only the structure changes, limiting the useful period.

So, we see that by controlling the aging process, using the correct ratio of nutrients, using the correct composition of nutrients, and pre-buffering the coco peat, growers can anticipate getting the perfect medium, correctly balanced, correctly composed, with good porosity, a water buffer, and a lot less headaches then peat-based soilless mix products. That is great for a start, but to complete a crop, it is critical that the correct nutrients be used as well. Consider coco as needing to be "fed" along with the plants. Once the medium establishes a buffer, which it will do based on the nutrients it sees, right or wrong, the grower can wipe this out by applying plain water to the medium. The medium hangs on to nothing and will readily flush away its nutrients; then the plant will suffer until the buffer is restored. Always use fertilizer when you water coco that a plant is actively growing in, at least at about EC = 0.6mS/cm3. This will hold the balance or ratio of the nutrients to each other and insure that the plant gets exactly what it needs.

thanks alot Newbud...I read it all and it's pretty interesting. I'll pass it along to my pals as well. I know that this is good stuff, I just need to get the formula correct and prob water more frequently

Yeah its definitely good stuff, i had no real problems at all.
I use canna A&B which is very good at not building bad salts up so i get away with watering to the point JUST before i get run off, obviously you get used to how much water they take, and then watering till get plenty run off once a week but general advise is to water till run off every time, and to water everyday.

There is different opinions about the never flush with just water bit, some do some dont, but in my own experience i did try watering with just water till get run off then watering with nutes to feed and my plants took a turn for the worse so i never use just water, i always feed with nutes.

Like i said once they above about 6 inch tall it very very hard to over water.
Each of mine in 11L wilma pots but hand watered get 2 and half litres a day in one feed and nothing runs out then once a week they get about 4 litres each so to get run off and flush any built up salts in the bottom.
It can get a little expensive on nutes but its no worse than changing a large res of nutes say once a week in a DWC.

They say about watering by weight and my feeding regime works out perfect as at the same time every day they always feel light and have drunk what they were given, they never still feel damp or like there water left in the coco so if they are using it all that tells you they need it.

Newbud said:
Yeah its definitely good stuff, i had no real problems at all.
I use canna A&B which is very good at not building bad salts up so i get away with watering to the point JUST before i get run off, obviously you get used to how much water they take, and then watering till get plenty run off once a week but general advise is to water till run off every time, and to water everyday.

There is different opinions about the never flush with just water bit, some do some dont, but in my own experience i did try watering with just water till get run off then watering with nutes to feed and my plants took a turn for the worse so i never use just water, i always feed with nutes.

Like i said once they above about 6 inch tall it very very hard to over water.
Each of mine in 11L wilma pots but hand watered get 2 and half litres a day in one feed and nothing runs out then once a week they get about 4 litres each so to get run off and flush any built up salts in the bottom.
It can get a little expensive on nutes but its no worse than changing a large res of nutes say once a week in a DWC.

They say about watering by weight and my feeding regime works out perfect as at the same time every day they always feel light and have drunk what they were given, they never still feel damp or like there water left in the coco so if they are using it all that tells you they need it.
I'll post more pics in a couple of weeks since I have a short time left. Like I said, they didn't get any greener since theres no new leaves, but the bud looks great. I water ever other night and mist on the off day. Things are looking great and I'll post the results here and in the pictures section.

I wish that they were fatter but I just happy that they weren't lost! Bubba Kush with a powerfully pungent odor. If it's in the house EVERYONE knows. About an oz per plant of crystal covered stinky, sticky goodness. I'll be more careful with her next time. I harvested 2 weeks ago and trimmed, etc. so sorry for the lack of updates. Also make creamy bubble right off the plant, no drying, and some devastating honey oil. The Sour D is getting done this week (pics later this week) and will be revegged and harvested in Oct. Here's a couple Bubba family pics and the rest will be in the strains/pictures section. Thanks for all the support

CIMG2002.JPG

CIMG2015.JPG

Latest posts

Back