a couple of problems / advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so, foliar spray with Mg fert? what ratio per liter would you suggest? any particular fert come to mind?

havoc902 said:
I do have a ph pen, I ph (after adding the nutes) to 6.3. as the ph of the runoff seemed to come out to 5.8-5.9 (could have changed now as you say)
should I lower that?

I never worry about run off....I ph everything that goes into my soil to 6.5.
How much growing experience do you have by the way? You seem to have a lot going on with CO2 and what not.

It is a soiless medium, from what i understand the PH is supposed to be closer to that of a hydro setup? I have some experience with smaller setups. got so much money wrapped up in this setup tho, I am a lot more cautious. I always ph'd to about 6.5 for actual soil, but this is apparently different.

what PH should I be at if I am using Sunshine mix #4 Aggregate plus?

havoc902 said:
what PH should I be at if I am using Sunshine mix #4 Aggregate plus?

6.4 - 7.0 for all soiless mediums sunshine 4 is a hot mix and many problems arise from it, as for drainage there is no need with that much soil pretty much like planting it in the ground outdoor i would suggest misting plants 3 hrs after lights off raise your humidity a bit more feed water feed could very well be
plant cupping is a indicator that it wants water cupping hoping to catch rain drops if you catch my drift
IMO i would water plants may need more of it water that is

Sunshine#4 is an inert medium, meaning it is NOT hot, as it has no nutes, only what you add.
Drainage is a must, imo, you want a good 20% runoff every feed in order to avoid lockout and PH issues. Feeding 6.4-7.0 is plain crazy, you want to feed @ 6.0 with runoff. I guess if you don't get runoff, you could feed at a higher PH, but that could lead to issues for sure.

Plant leaves cupping hoping to catch rainwater???? Your trippin' my friend.
IMO, it is the begining stages of a mag def.

Thats my understanding too,,is that cupping is a Mag Deff. And I would not go over 6.0 eather.

Thank you, I was thrown off with that advice.
I dialed back ph to 6.1 yesterday. next feed will be 6.0
So Mg def. whats the best cure? seems like its only early stages, but Id like to take care of it. next feed is supposed to be water. from what I understand, Mg is usually too much Mg in the soil. so a foliar spray? suggestions?

epsom salts if using for a foliar spray.

Is this the Sunshine Mix we are talking about?

hXXp://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=8&brand_id=1

NorCalHal said:
Sunshine#4 is an inert medium, meaning it is NOT hot, as it has no nutes, only what you add.
Drainage is a must, imo, you want a good 20% runoff every feed in order to avoid lockout and PH issues. Feeding 6.4-7.0 is plain crazy, you want to feed @ 6.0 with runoff. I guess if you don't get runoff, you could feed at a higher PH, but that could lead to issues for sure.

Plant leaves cupping hoping to catch rainwater???? Your trippin' my friend.
IMO, it is the begining stages of a mag def.

here are some posts on sunshine 4 mix

Just bought a couple bales of Sunshine Mix #4. After 2 weeks of veg my plants were looking like ****. Obviously locked out. I checked the runoff and PH was 5.0 and PPM was 3200!!! Both bales were like this. Taking this **** back to the grow store and sticking with Fox Farms products!

I called the place I bought this crap from and told them what was up. They said they'd take it back. Cool. I don't understand how they can sell this **** though. What's it good for? Both bales tested way out of range. Who knows what the long term consequences of this setback will be for the 10 plants that got potted in sunshine. Too late to go back now. I flushed them all really well until runoff was 6.0/800. Took me the better part of the day. Hope they bounce back.

Yep! My first bale of Sunshine #4 came with a lifetime supply of fungus gnats! Oh boy, what a pain in the arse! That made my decision to do hydroponics again and avoid the dirt hassle. Down with dirt!
these are some of the issues other growers have had with sunshine 4 ?????
may-be at one time there products were good but like any company that gets huge fast ????
there product suffers and they hurt them selfs at the end my 2 cents worth

Is this the Sunshine Mix we are talking about?

hXXp://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=8&brand_id= 1

Yes it is. #4

Ingredients

Formulated with Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, coarse perlite, starter nutrient charge (with Gypsum) and dolomitic limestone.

nute lockout due to pH being off

DrFever said:
here are some posts on sunshine 4 mix

Just bought a couple bales of Sunshine Mix #4. After 2 weeks of veg my plants were looking like ****. Obviously locked out. I checked the runoff and PH was 5.0 and PPM was 3200!!! Both bales were like this. Taking this **** back to the grow store and sticking with Fox Farms products!

I called the place I bought this crap from and told them what was up. They said they'd take it back. Cool. I don't understand how they can sell this **** though. What's it good for? Both bales tested way out of range. Who knows what the long term consequences of this setback will be for the 10 plants that got potted in sunshine. Too late to go back now. I flushed them all really well until runoff was 6.0/800. Took me the better part of the day. Hope they bounce back.

Yep! My first bale of Sunshine #4 came with a lifetime supply of fungus gnats! Oh boy, what a pain in the arse! That made my decision to do hydroponics again and avoid the dirt hassle. Down with dirt!
these are some of the issues other growers have had with sunshine 4 ?????
may-be at one time there products were good but like any company that gets huge fast ????
there product suffers and they hurt them selfs at the end my 2 cents worth

I guess you don't understand what Sunshine is.
It is NOT dirt haha. Fungas Gnats??? I have ran Sunshine for alot of years with no issues...ever.
Now mind you, I have been running ProMix for the last year or so, but that decision was made because of having to amend the Sunshine with more perlite, and the ProMix is allready a mixture to my liking without having to add anything.

I know many folks that run sunshine 4 and have no issues and kill it constently. Never have I heard of fungas gnats coming from the mix.

Latest posts

Back