A couple quick questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganDude

Reaction score
First, I appreciate the help and advice everyone has given, and if you'll all bear with me, I'm almost done asking questions! :banana:

First, the box dimensions. The box I am building is for autos only right now, and is 2'x1'x5'. I've got everything purchased to start growing...venting fans, ducts, lights, ballasts, etc. So I am in the home stretch, and providing all my testing for temps and such go well, I'll be germing my beans at the end of the month!

Question one is light orientation. I have a 150w HPS I'll be using. I'll be making my own reflector, so the answer here will effect what that looks like. Do I hang the bulb vertically or horizontally? I've read pro's on both. I'm hoping that Hemp Goddess stops by and weighs in, because really, her nick should be The Light Goddess! :hubba:

Second question, I'm not anywhere near a place to get soil like FoxFarms, and I've read too many stories about Miracle Gro, and don't want to fight that battle. I can, though, get some good top soil, sphagnum moss, and some perlite. If I mix this up, what ratios would I use? Also, ideally, what else should I add? I'm a bit limited in what I can find, because the nurseries around me aren't open yet, so I have to depend on Home Depot and Lowes, etc. So, any ideas on other products I could use to build a decent soil?

Thanks in advance for the info! :joint:

okay i hope The HempGodess stops in and helps you. as for soil look for organic potting soil. not top soil

Good morning Michigan Dude.

For a space that size, I would hang my light horizontally. Consider putting the bulb into a cooltube (pyrex bake-a-round)--it makes cooling the space super easy.

Check out Subcool's soil mix (I am a water girl and grow hydro).

Thanks THG...appreciate the help! I'm definitely going to do the cool tube thing. I figured that horizontal would be the way to go, but I wanted to make sure.

MichiganDude said:
First, I appreciate the help and advice everyone has given, and if you'll all bear with me, I'm almost done asking questions! :banana:

First, the box dimensions. The box I am building is for autos only right now, and is 2'x1'x5'. I've got everything purchased to start growing...venting fans, ducts, lights, ballasts, etc. So I am in the home stretch, and providing all my testing for temps and such go well, I'll be germing my beans at the end of the month!

Question one is light orientation. I have a 150w HPS I'll be using. I'll be making my own reflector, so the answer here will effect what that looks like. Do I hang the bulb vertically or horizontally? I've read pro's on both. I'm hoping that Hemp Goddess stops by and weighs in, because really, her nick should be The Light Goddess! :hubba:

Second question, I'm not anywhere near a place to get soil like FoxFarms, and I've read too many stories about Miracle Gro, and don't want to fight that battle. I can, though, get some good top soil, sphagnum moss, and some perlite. If I mix this up, what ratios would I use? Also, ideally, what else should I add? I'm a bit limited in what I can find, because the nurseries around me aren't open yet, so I have to depend on Home Depot and Lowes, etc. So, any ideas on other products I could use to build a decent soil?

Thanks in advance for the info! :joint:

Hey MD.. are you near a green house or garden center?? they sell soil.. as well as Pro Mix BX.. try that out.. works great.. nothing to special but you can add to it thats for sure..
as for you light you seem to have that under control.. and feel free to line your hood with mylar.. works great.. as i made a hood for my 400w and lined it with mylar..
good luck to yas
LH

Thanks LH. I'll see if I can find the Pro Mix BX. So far, ever thing I've found has been all time release.

honestly the mg seedstarter soil is great..you can add to it and it costs like 3 bucks everywere it is not full of mg food so you can make it kick but... I just started growing an it worked amazing for me.. but hamster louis "hl" uses it i believe an his grows are great... look into the mg itis not to bad but has a bad rep.........this is all imo....thanksbbb

Thanks BBB. I've actually been looking for the past week or so for the MG seedstarter, but every place seems to be out of it, or maybe it's not in yet. I guess I'll have to try some of the smaller places. Thanks for the info!

I have not been able to find the seed starter MG either MI Dude...I'm in the same state. I did see that Meijers was starting to get gardening stuff in though, around the "D"...springs right around the corner bud!

legalize_freedom said:
I have not been able to find the seed starter MG either MI Dude...I'm in the same state. I did see that Meijers was starting to get gardening stuff in though, around the "D"...springs right around the corner bud!
Amen brother! Spring can't get here soon enough. I'm 100 miles or so north of you, and Meijers does look like they are clearing out the garden section.

hxxp://foxfarmfertilizer.com/distributors/dist_state.php?state=MI
their product locator shows a lot of retailers in MI with their product..:confused:

Hick said:
hxxp://foxfarmfertilizer.com/distributors/dist_state.php?state=MI
their product locator shows a lot of retailers in MI with their product..:confused:
Yeah, I saw that too. The closest location is more than a 3 hour round trip drive away. That's a bit of a drive just to pick up a bag of soil and some fertilizer. Does that make me lazy? I guess probably. But I rarely go down state, except when I need to fly (I hate the regional airports in Michigan.)

But who knows...I haven't started yet, so I still have time to make the decision to make the drive.

MD that does make you lazy LOL AHAHAHAHAH nawww..
i hear yas man i have to drive 1.5 hrs one way to the nearest hydro store..
sux... that 30$ bag of hydroton just went up another 30 for gas..
if you can wait it out wait it out.. if not.. make a run man.. just remember to make a list.. get all you need for the next few months.. lol
LH

Latest posts

Back