A novice's attepmt with Big Bud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar setup and had issues with heat as well. It doesnt look like youre afraid to spend some money on this and thats good. I had to get an ac unit. Ya alot of people dont think you need it, but I beg to differ. My temps went from 85-89 to 73-77. Just a thought... Good luck bro

Well it's been a couple of days since my last post. I was able to vent the exhaust outside. Even with 2 charcoal filters vented outside and an ozone generator there is a slight skunky smell. I guess it is what it is.

Since the exhaust is vented outside, the temp went to 80-81F, probably from the long run outside. I'm going to try an inline fan to help expel the exhaust outside in hopes it helps lower the temps a bit.

These plants have been growing 4 1/2 weeks now, there on average 14 inches tall. The bottom leaves were turning yellow and drying up for a week now. I repotted them into 5 gallon sized containers. There's a photo below that shows how massive the root ball was. Hopefully the repotting will eliminate the dying bottom leaves.

I was wanting to figure out the sex before repotting so I could eliminate the males. No such luck. They are getting close to showing their sex, the nodes are starting to alternate. Won't be long now.

PDRM0266.JPG

PDRM0268.JPG

with the repot and overall health already they should be lush monsters in no time.. keep us updated

Your roots look awesome. What kind of planting mix did you use for the substrate and what was your method for transplanting? Your box is wicked.

Dozingoffaroundthecorner said:
Your roots look awesome. What kind of planting mix did you use for the substrate and what was your method for transplanting? Your box is wicked.

I used straight PRO-MIX BX W/MYCORISE it has mycorrhizal fungi that is supposed to be beneficial for the roots.

I grew big bud as my very first grow,it certainly stands up to its name,the buds are hugh,I couldnt believe how big my colas got,I would rate the smoke as a medium but maybe that was due to inexperiance. I would definatly grow it again though.
Good luck my friend

Well it's been awhile, thought I'd better give an update.

Plants have been growing like wild fire. They're getting so big that even though it's only been 6 weeks, I changed my bulb to HPS and set the timer for 12/12. I'm hoping that some of 'em are going to be males. I need to make room soon they're so big. They measure 27 inches tall.

Before I started the flowering, it looked as though they were all females. Every 1 of them had white hairs. Now what's the chance of them all being females? Being a novice, I had an experienced buddy check also. That's when I decided to start flowering.

It's going to be get rid of the males or weak females, maybe both.

PDRM0295.JPG

PDRM0294.JPG

you should be able to tell sex with preflowers that pop on 7-8 node when plant is 10-12 nodes tall. surprised its been this long for ya.

They look healthy. Now you just have to sit back and wait till they all show themselves, chop down the male and weak. I would rather free up space for a strong female then waste it on a weak line.

ok, it's been 7 weeks, 1 week of 12/12 the plants are 42 inches tall. They've grown 15 inches in a week. How do I keep them from getting to tall or slow'em down? at this rate I'm going to run out of room in 2 weeks. Is 1 week of 12/12 too late to top them?

I did discover 3 males and removed them. That leaves 7 plants left, they seem to be females so far. Without the 3 males, it made for more room, the light seems to get further down towards the bottom branches.

PDRM0301.JPG

PDRM0302.JPG

PDRM0303.JPG

Ok, so it's been awhile. I thought I'd update with some photos. The buds are getting big, the trichromes are appearing. How long before the trichromes go from clear to milky to amber?

PDRM0321.JPG

PDRM0325.JPG

Photo20081028182741139.JPG

Photo20081105164400750.JPG

mpmiller said:
Ok, so it's been awhile. I thought I'd update with some photos. The buds are getting big, the trichromes are appearing. How long before the trichromes go from clear to milky to amber?
usually most indica dominant plants mature between 7-9 weeks of flowering
and its all on you depending what type of buzz you like if you like a couchlock or stupid high wait till all the trichs are milky white some amber if you like an upity high then cut when there just starting to cloud some clear

mpmiller said:

How many weeks of flower are they at. They look like they have a couple weeks left. That is when they really fatten up.

BuddyLuv said:
How many weeks of flower are they at. They look like they have a couple weeks left. That is when they really fatten up.

They've been flowering about 5 weeks, I was just wondering what the time frame was between the change in trichromes from clear to milky to amber. Do I need to keep a close watch in a couple of weeks? do they change very quickly? days? week?

They look great; I reckon in some of the earlier shots your babies are suffering a mild magnesium and or iron deficiency.

Hope it produces plenty of buds for you though.

You should try a scrog in that cabinet next time around.

very nice looking plants buddy, good looking "big buds" good luck finshing up your plants looks like u a cople aweeks away from the harvest of a long hard hall, i am sure them buds will make it all the wild. pease.

P.s. Don't For Get To Stop Giveing It Food, An Start To Flush A Week Befor Harvest

Latest posts

Back