A question for those who use co2...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

Nug Lover
Reaction score
ive heard the rumors....
"co2 will double your crop."
"co2 will give you 5 times the yield."

what the real deal?? i'm sure it has to do with all the other variables as well. I just want to hear from MP's experience..

my situation... small scale closet junky..
i'm interested in making a DIY small tub style with co2 via homebrew...

any input..?

Thanks everyone. :48:

From the research I have done it seems that Co2 can be a great addition to a garden that is already running at a maximized potential in all other aspects. So basically unless you have maximized every other part of your grow you should look at those other areas for improvement first.

If you do decide to give it a try there are other things to consider in order to make the Co2 be effective.

pcduck posted this in a thread I started awhile back, not sure what his source is but it gives you a good idea of the other requirements that would need to be fulfilled for it to even be worthwhile...

"Studies have shown optimal growth and yields at 90-95°F, 1,500 ppm CO2, 45-50% relative humidity, 7,500-10,000 lumens/square foot of light, and vigorous air movement both above and below the canopy. CO2 enrichment under 80°F, under 7500 lumens/sf, or above 50% humidity is not recommended because plants will not be conducting photosynthesis quickly enough to benefit from the enrichment."

I disagree with above. First, hes right about needing all your other parameters dialed before even thinking about running it. The one thing I like about CO2 is I dont have a fan sucking air from the outside at 2k cfm's a min. Its alot quiter. Now, for the above. I personally would never let temps get beyond 82 and I have 6k lumens a sq ft. But hey, if you gonna do it, then give er a run and see what ya think. I have seen ppl run a small tank and regulator in a tent with great yields.

nouvellechef said:
I disagree with above. First, hes right about needing all your other parameters dialed before even thinking about running it. The one thing I like about CO2 is I dont have a fan sucking air from the outside at 2k cfm's a min. Its alot quiter. Now, for the above. I personally would never let temps get beyond 82 and I have 6k lumens a sq ft. But hey, if you gonna do it, then give er a run and see what ya think. I have seen ppl run a small tank and regulator in a tent with great yields.

Actually nouvellechef, without increased temps, your plants are not respirating enough to benefit from the increased co2. Unless you're only going for 400 to 700 ppm, they are not benefitting from anything above that. I can provide you with some links if you're interested.

Yeah I read and read about it. I am not saying its not true, but I am just too scared to let the temps get that high. And yes they run at 1500. Maybe I will do a test and see what happens, but everything is in one room and I cant take any chances in destroying everything.

ishnish said:
ive heard the rumors....
"co2 will double your crop."
"co2 will give you 5 times the yield."

what the real deal?? i'm sure it has to do with all the other variables as well. I just want to hear from MP's experience..

my situation... small scale closet junky..
i'm interested in making a DIY small tub style with co2 via homebrew...

any input..?

Thanks everyone. :48:

You'd be wasting your time and your yeast IMO.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I know about having everything dialed in first and for the most part I do.
and as far as wasting time and yeast, I'll do it in the name of science!
at least until I can afford something more substantial.

Anyway, at the moment, I'm containing 4 plants in veg that I want to make mommas. these plants are in a rubbermade container that's 13" x 20" x 16" high. and yes, I said inches. translate to feet.. 1.08333' x 1.667' x 1.333'
so i'll round it up to 2.5 cubic feet of grow space... am i still wasting time or making happy mommas?

one moment and i'll get a few pics in here...

spend the lil extra it cost me 18 bucks for 20lbs the setup 50 small investment for 30 percent fuller buds and tight let me see if i can find a pic of the setup

1166.jpg

in the first pic, two jugs of homebrew never to be drank. the one in the green circle was the first to be set up about 5 days ago, hasn't performed any magic yet. the jug in the red circle i believe will be more promising, I put a second hose with an airstone to assist the pushing of co2 thru the other hose into the grow area.. I just set that one up yesterday.

the second pic, shows the ladies and a hose hanging near the top for co2 to dwindle down.

S4020992.JPG

S4020993.JPG

Dahova said:
spend the lil extra it cost me 18 bucks for 20lbs the setup 50 small investment for 30 percent fuller buds and tight let me see if i can find a pic of the setup

right on. any chance i could get a bigger picture of that?

nouvellechef said:
Yeah I read and read about it. I am not saying its not true, but I am just too scared to let the temps get that high. And yes they run at 1500. Maybe I will do a test and see what happens, but everything is in one room and I cant take any chances in destroying everything.

I think that there has been many, many tests already performed already that has shown that it will not destroy your crop. These high temperatures that need to be achieved, so that CO2 to work to its optimal level is a widely known and used effectively for many years.

hXXp://www.gardenscure.com/420/indoor-gardening/65500-co2-enrichment-guide.html

as always change the XX to tt

thanks duck! I got one more small problem.. in the link you posted I quote;
"CO2 can be measured, in parts per million (ppm) of air, using an inexpensive device available in hydroponics supply catalogs and garden shops (approx US$20)."
Where on earth do these inexpensive meters/testers exist??
I've been searching for the past week and can't come up with anything less than $300...

Where on earth do these inexpensive meters/testers exist??

I am also clueless on where these exist. But there again, I do not use CO2, hence never had much reasons for a search...Sorry

HA! found the inexpensiveness!

hXXp://www.ecogrow.com/index.cfm/product/978/mid/16/nid/0/home.html

I just got rid of my co2 equipment. I didn't find it to be worth all the trouble. Yes it does help a little, but not much. If you have good ventalation & intake, you dont need it.

True. But 100's of sq ft of ventilation for intake and exhaust is loud and alot more install.

But 100's of sq ft of ventilation for intake and exhaust is loud and alot more install.

I do not understand:confused2:

to do CO2 correctly a grower still needs ventilation, but with the additional cost having having to automate the entire ventilation system. Plus the proper sealing of the room is also an additional cost.

Only exhaust to veg room at dark time. Scrubb the air in room and recycle it. Room is already fully insulated and sealed. The cost is minimal in the long run and is way way way more stealth then a whole lot of CFM's ripping air from the outside.

Srry should of been more clear. Didn't mean monetary cost. Meant my already limited time.

Latest posts

Back