About to chop, no loupe or microscope, help on trichs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poop-dog

alright alright alright
Reaction score
I know I really need a loupe or a microscope but I do not have one. These are as close as I can get on my camera. You can zoom in on the pics. In 3 more days she will be flowering 9 weeks. I do not want to wait to long before I chop since the trichs degrade however I would not mind at all waiting a couple more weeks if she is not ready. I am going for an overall amber to dark amber look. All pics are under 2700k lighting. I am just worried because the pistils are all looking like it is time but the trichs say otherwise.

thanks

gjg.png

gjhg.png

khg.png

if you live in the us go to radioshack and buy one there 12 bucks for small one 25 for large.no way of telling without one

based strictly off your pics i'd say she's got at least another week or 2, maybe more.... as pyro and Eye said, can't tell for sure without a loupe.... the radio shack one is a cheap investment that'll save you from harvesting too soon....

Thanks guys. I am not totally sure what to look for since this is my first grow. It is bagseed and highly Sativa dominant. Can you take pictures through the scope well or at all? From what I read 11 - 12 weeks is where I should be chopping, is that about correct?

thanks

that seems about right for a very sativa dominant strain.... all depends on the strain, grower, and conditions....

****-dog said:
Thanks guys. I am not totally sure what to look for since this is my first grow. It is bagseed and highly Sativa dominant. Can you take pictures through the scope well or at all? From what I read 11 - 12 weeks is where I should be chopping, is that about correct?

thanks

If you want to take pics this is a great toy to hve...hxxp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153C5KY

This is the pocket microscope I hve....hxxp://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-POCKET-MICROSCOPE/dp/B000OVHVVQ

Going solely by your pics they are not ready though...can't really be conclusive without looking at those trichs though....

For goodness sakes, get your hinney over to a Radio Shack and pick up a microscope. You have put all that yime, effort, money, and love into growing this beautiful girl. Do not harvest her before her time!

Now, I'm more of an unedicated ganga farmer (growin on 12 years now, thank u High Times 4 the yrs of invaluable info.) then a "professor" of Botany but...There's more to harvesting then looking at trichs (as alot of ppl obsess on here and everywhere else).
As my training goes, I look for the hairs to be orange/brown/pink/purp and completely receded into the buds, calyxes should be swollen to their utmost and there should be a layer of "frost" of thc on yer buds. There will be a distinctive taste to yer buds if you let them come into their own and develop their respective terpenes and whatnots. Granted, the buds now will be tasty and most likely a Medusa, but if you give her a bit of time to ripen, you'll be that much the richer.

do they meet this criteria, I'm thinking not yet. I AGREE W/ WHOEVER SAID ~2 wks.

BUT...for first time growers, Microscopes ARE great for checking trich color for crystal maturity but there are more factors then trich age, imo.

Much Peace and Nugs,

7greeneyes :D

THE DUNG FLINGING CAN COMMENCE IN: 3...2...1...(go!)

Poopdog, (heh heh, LOVE the name!;))

I have always used a regular old magnifying glass and normal light when checking trich coloration.

7greeneyes said:
Now, I'm more of an unedicated ganga farmer
(12 years now) then a "professor" of herbology but...There's more to harvesting then looking at trichs (as alot of ppl obsess on here and everywhere else). As my training goes, I look for the hairs to be orange/brown/pink/purp and completely receded into the buds, calyxes should be swollen to their utmost and there should be a layer of "frost" of thc on yer buds. There will be a distinctive taste to yer buds if you let them come into their own and develop their respective terpenes and whatnots. Granted, the buds now will be tasty and most likely a Medusa, but if you give her a bit of time to ripen, you'll be that much the richer.

do they meet this criteria, I'm thinking not yet. I AGREE W/ WHOEVER SAID ~2 wks.

BUT...for first time growers, Microscopes ARE great for checking trich color for crystal maturity but there are more factors then trich age, imo.

Much Peace and Nugs,

Now the dung flinging can commence in 3...2...1...

no dung to be flung.... i agree with you.... there are more factors than just trich's....

BUT, yes, there's a but, checking the trich's is the best way to tell maturity according to the type of high that you're searching for....

I am in the wait 2 week club.I see 50% cloudy, 25% semi-cloudy and only 25% light amber trichs. I agree about the swollen calyxes and darkened pistils. Pic 1 shows newly made pistils. Those buds will fatten up and get much better if you wait. For an example , my outdoor white widow was all cloudy with 20% amber trichs on the top third. I give the smoke a 9. On the bottom third, the trichs look like the ones pictured. I give the smoke a 7.5. I wanted to wait for the lower buds to get further along, but mother nature said NO. Chop or lose it, so I did. If you can wait, it is worth it.

hey benny, you should've double harvest her.... chop the mature tops and leave the bottoms another week or 2.... it would've gone from a 7.5 back up to a 9.... they also put on a bit more weight during the extra time....

i've done this multiple times over the years with great success every time.... seems like people are either quick to forget about this method or just unaware of it....

just something to keep in mind for the next grow-round....

420benny said:
I am in the wait 2 week club.I see 50% cloudy, 25% semi-cloudy and only 25% light amber trichs. I agree about the swollen calyxes and darkened pistils. Pic 1 shows newly made pistils. Those buds will fatten up and get much better if you wait. For an example , my outdoor white widow was all cloudy with 20% amber trichs on the top third. I give the smoke a 9. On the bottom third, the trichs look like the ones pictured. I give the smoke a 7.5. I wanted to wait for the lower buds to get further along, but mother nature said NO. Chop or lose it, so I did. If you can wait, it is worth it.

I've partial-harvested for years, taking the top ripe buds and letting the sucker buds underneath ripen abit more. Never had a problem.

fleshstain said:
hey benny, you should've double harvest her.... chop the mature tops and leave the bottoms another week or 2.... it would've gone from a 7.5 back up to a 9.... they also put on a bit more weight during the extra time....

i've done this multiple times over the years with great success every time.... seems like people are either quick to forget about this method or just unaware of it....

darn it fleshstain, ya got quicker phalangies there. I was gonna post the same idear. :goodposting:

sorry, 7.... i'm in the midst of a double harvest right now so it's really fresh on my mind....

7greeneyes said:
Now, I'm more of an unedicated ganga farmer (growin on 12 years now, thank u High Times 4 the yrs of invaluable info.) then a "professor" of Botany but...There's more to harvesting then looking at trichs (as alot of ppl obsess on here and everywhere else).
As my training goes, I look for the hairs to be orange/brown/pink/purp and completely receded into the buds, calyxes should be swollen to their utmost and there should be a layer of "frost" of thc on yer buds. There will be a distinctive taste to yer buds if you let them come into their own and develop their respective terpenes and whatnots. Granted, the buds now will be tasty and most likely a Medusa, but if you give her a bit of time to ripen, you'll be that much the richer.

Much Peace and Nugs,

THE DUNG FLINGING CAN COMMENCE IN: 3...2...1...(go!)

Thanks guys for all the help. I will pick up a microscope this weekend. Do you have a pic of the perfect harvest window or anything else I can take into consideration?

****-dog said:
Thanks guys for all the help. I will pick up a microscope this weekend. Do you have a pic of the perfect harvest window or anything else I can take into consideration?

Look in the Harvesting/curing section. There are multiple pics ;)

fleshstain said:

7greeneyes said:
I've partial-harvested for years, taking the top ripe buds and letting the sucker buds underneath ripen abit more. Never had a problem.

Hey guys- Benny's problem was not doing multiple harvests.....

420Benny said:
I wanted to wait for the lower buds to get further along, but mother nature said NO. Chop or lose it, so I did.

He was having weather problems- specifically mold issues from the rainy season where he is. If he could have waited, he would have. He's a very talented grower. ;)

Hey there ****-Dog!

You are getting close, but I've had Sativas that I've kept for 14 weeks that never ambered up- but the resins started to harden up and the buds became less sticky.

Those new pistils mean it's still growing strong. Maybe like 7greeneyes and Fleshstain suggest you might consider doing some selective harvesting.

I always find it easier to look at them under cooler light when trying to decide harvest.

Looking good though! Happy Harvest! :cool:

Just for new knowledge for those who don't already know:

Pistils, (Hairs), can turn colors, die or stay white, depending on RH, feeding, watering, temps and combinations of those factors. They are virtually useless in determining the exact time to harvest weed.

MJ is kind of like corn....you can look at the dirt, "feel" the air, look at the moon, time it with the tides and ask a witch-doctor, but peeling back the silk and looking at the freaking corn is the best way to tell if it's ripe.

Buy the 12 dollar scope. Take 5 minutes to learn how to use it. Cut a small leaf off near a bud from the top and middle of the plant and just look at the trichomes.

You can even do it right on the plant if you're careful.

No flames from me. Just knowledge. Looking at the trichomes is the ONLY way to tell really.

Timing and Pistils will only get you close. The moon and the tides are pure baloney. Why guess? It only takes 12 freakin dollars to get it right!

Latest posts

Back