Adequate lighting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I've been pricing the t5 4-bulb lamps and the price range from $60-$200. Is there any difference in the brands? If so, which is the better brand?

I cant comment on the brands as dont have T5s but if you leave the doors open you will loose allot of light, wouldn't really be worth it. How tall is the closet? Is this a built in closet?

If it is a built in one then you might want to consider getting a cheap door to replace it with and then hock up a venting fan to the cheap door,

With t5 florescent 4-bulb lamp, do i get all 4 in 3000K spectrum bulbs which is listed as being for bloom or all 4 in 6400k spectrum bulbs which is listed for grow or get 2 in each kind? I'm assuming all four in 6400k which is best since the lamp is going to be used in early on. I think.

I might as well try to get is at right as possible. Thanks again.

Carlo said:
With t5 florescent 4-bulb lamp, do i get all 4 in 3000K spectrum bulbs which is listed as being for bloom or all 4 in 6400k spectrum bulbs which is listed for grow or get 2 in each kind? I'm assuming all four in 6400k which is best since the lamp is going to be used in early on. I think.

I might as well try to get is at right as possible. Thanks again.

Since you are flowering with the HPS I would get all 6400k bulbs, and still use it while flowering alongside the HPS.

Its what Ill be doing with this T5 8 bulb, 40,000 lumens. perfect sized for my 2x5 closet.

specialty-lights_2145_32437371.jpg

Carlo said:
Also, I've been pricing the t5 4-bulb lamps and the price range from $60-$200. Is there any difference in the brands? If so, which is the better brand?

I have the HTG brand, which are the inexpensive ones. I have been happy with these. The tubes are warrantied for a year. I would get the 6400K tubes. I didn't see a 4' 4 tubes fixture for $60?

I have this one: hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-4-Foot-4-Lamp-High-Output-T5-Fluorescent-Grow-Light.asp

And this one (which is a 2' lamp): hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-2-Foot-2-Lamp-PL-55-Tek-Lamp.asp

I was considering the SlimStar 4 Foot 8 Lamp High Output T5 Fluorescent....I believe that would be 40,000 lumen....Is that considered good growth lighting for my 2x6 closet?

Carlo said:
I was considering the SlimStar 4 Foot 8 Lamp High Output T5 Fluorescent....I believe that would be 40,000 lumen....Is that considered good growth lighting for my 2x6 closet?

Yes, 40,000 lumens in 12 sq ft would be great, however, that fixture is 26.5" wide. If you only have 24", it is not going to fit.

You could put 2 of the HTG 4' 4 tube fixtures (linked above) in your closet as they are only 10" wide.

Based on the size of my closet (2x6), I believe that I can fit a T5 4-foot, 6-bulb, lamp that creates 30,000 lumens.

Would 30,000 lumen be good lighting for the closet space? I wanted a T5 40,000 lumen lamp, but it does not fit. Also, (2) T5 20,000 lumen lamps do not fit.

Therefore, is seems like 30,000 is the best that i can do for the growth stage. Hopefully, that is sufficient lighting.

I still have a HPS 400 watt lamp for the flowering stage & hopefully i can somehow fit the T5 lamp as well.

You will be 600 lumens off for veg, Its not too bad, maybe adding a a few cfls as side lighting to make up for it.

So that you know how to work it out in the future you want to aim for 3000 lumens per square foot for veg and 5000 lumens per square foot for flower.

Your space is 2x6 so that's 12 square foot, Times that by 3000 = 36.000 lumens needed. For flower just times the floor space by 5000 lumens and thats what you will need.

Once again, thanks a lot everyone. I'm really amazed at how there is to consider, but i remain excited.

What about the 120 watt high powered L.E.D. Grow Light? HTG ad says that it produces more lumen than a HPS 600 watt and much, much less heat. Also, that it is also capable of being used both in the vegetation and flowering stages. Is this true? If so, maybe that would take care of my lighting problems?

No experience with LED lighting, but all I've heard say it's not "there" yet? It would be great if one could produce more lumens than a 600w, would be a great light indeed! If you decide to drop the $ on one, please let us know how it goes!

Carlo said:
Once again, thanks a lot everyone. I'm really amazed at how there is to consider, but i remain excited.

What about the 120 watt high powered L.E.D. Grow Light? HTG ad says that it produces more lumen than a HPS 600 watt and much, much less heat. Also, that it is also capable of being used both in the vegetation and flowering stages. Is this true? If so, maybe that would take care of my lighting problems?

There are allot of mixed feelings about LED light. Most say there not there yet and i agree.

I dont know how they can say that they put out more lumens as i dont see how they can compare the two. HPS puts out much more spectrum's of light than LED lights do so to compare them by lumens just seems pointless IMO.

Carlo said:

No, that is not true at all. If it was, we would ALL be using 120W LEDs instead of burning 600W of HPS.

The 6 bulb T5 with 30,000 lumens should do you just fine. IMO, you don't need to add CFL lighting to it. I am running a little under 3000 lumens/sq ft in the veg closet.

I think I'm going to go with the T5 6-bulb for vegetation. Thanks everyone.

Now, I have an opportunity to exchange my HPS 400w lamp for a HPS 600w, since it hasn't been used. Of course I have to pay the difference and for shipping. But, is this recommended?

My closet size is 2x6 closet....I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I still have to resolve my ventilation issue which I have not yet done.

Wouldn't the HPS 600w give off much more heat than the HPS 400w?

I was considering on just using the HPS 400w land along with the T5 lamp, how does this idea sound? I believe this may be better due to the heat issues.

Summer is arriving soon and I live in southern Arizona. A lot of heat!

I veg with a 4 bulb 4 foot HO T5 setup in my 2x4 tent....even though I am 4000 lumens short of 3000 per sqr foot you wld not know it to look at the plants it vegs....you shld be fine vegging with that 6 bulb set up...it might be 6000 lumens short but in my opinion the fact that you can get the lights right down on them makes up for any short comings....jmo

Carlo said:
Now, I have an opportunity to exchange my HPS 400w lamp for a HPS 600w, since it hasn't been used. Of course I have to pay the difference and for shipping. But, is this recommended?

My closet size is 2x6 closet....I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I still have to resolve my ventilation issue which I have not yet done.

Maybe you can use the T5 as side lighting, otherwise it will block the HPS and putting it above it would be pointless.

My grow closet is much like yours (2x5) I use 2, 400 watt HPS with narrow refeltor hoods and it covers great. just an idea.

Venting without an outside air source is going to be difficult.
What I have to do is open the doors whenever my light is on and use my Bedroom AC to control the heat build up in summer or crack my window in winter.
I regulate my grow room temps by regulating my bedroom temps.

If you look back at my grow journals you will see what I use for fans.

Its not easy but can be done and with great results, if I may say so myself.

Right on GrowDude! Just as I was losing hope.... Since no one is in the house, I can have the closet doors open (and even the bedroom door if needed) and can regulate the room with the house's a.c. I'm going to look at your journals. Thanks alot. Hope it works.

How many plants can you flower in the 2x5 closet?

I'm going out on a limb here in reference to ventilation. Last year I did a 'bathtub grow' that was very successful. I grew 10 plants to harvest in a 6'x3' bathtub. I built a light frame out of pvc pipe. I covered the whole thing with white polyvynil. My sole light was a 600w hps. The only ventilation I used were two 'cheap' oscillating fans. The grow room plastic was always open during the light phase and closed during the dark phase of 12/12. I never had a heat build up issue. I kept a thermometer in with the plants and it never exceed 82 degrees.My next grow is in a dedicated room that is 10'x16' I will grow no more than 12 plants at a time. The plants will have AC and fans, but again, no ventilation other than leaving the door open. I will again be using a 600w hps for my lighting needs. As soon as I start this grow, I will start a journal w/pics. My premise is that if you have a big enough space, you may not need the extra expense of ventilation.

ventalation isnt only for cooling but for the replenishment of co2, plants need fresh air to grow.

Latest posts

Back