akiraHz's Super Micro SOG containment unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

akirahz

Sup every one, some what new to the forum but i do allot of reading, I will be taking refuge here @ marijuana passion now, I've been forum less since overgrow died.

Anyway i just finished building this unit, the inspiration was from children of bodom's rubber maid grow. Only im using a single unit, and a much tougher maiden, and so far half the light.

Supplies I already had include: one extension cord (6ft), (one 22gal super maiden) (few screws, wire strippers).

Supplies I bought: 1 pack of 3 CFL's (3x26 watts) (1750x3 lumen's) *from wal-mart*, One vanity fixture from lowes, 1 timer from lowes, 1 6ft ext cord from lowes, 2 10qt bags of Expert soil @ wal-mart, 1xReflective ER Blanket from wal-mart, 1x Kitty litter box from wal-mart, JB-weld from wal-mart.

Okay first thing i did was wired up the fixture to a chopped and shortened 110v plug. (2 wires, not grounded). Then i chopped another cord for the timer connector, and used a soldering iron to make a small perfect hole for the electrical cord (see picture). I then took apart the fixture and stripped it down to the plate (this was easy, 1 screw), i then took 2 short screws and screwed them in from the outside, you can see one in the cord picture.. just above it, doing it from the outside assured no light leak.. although the problem was the fixture didnt hang very well on just the narrow end of the screw (the sharp end).. this is where the jb weld came in. I JB welded the screws to the fixtures mounts themselves, let it dry and it holds real good now, nice n strong, can flip it around.. etc. Also i haven't mounted the timer because id like it loose for ease of use, but im not sure yet, ill probably hook mount it later.

For now i only have 3 lights but I will probably add another three 26 watters for a total of 156watts (over 10k lumens). I think this would be more ideal, but im probably only going with 4 plants anyway, 4-5.

There are no ventilation fans in this setup, stealth is the key here, low profile, low key.. and its better then nothing.

this certain rubber maid is thicker and tougher then normal ones, so light does not shine through it!.. although it might not be a problem if light did since they have krylon fusion paints now that work well on rubber maids i hear. the only light leak i currently have is a little around the hole where the cord is.

I have some bag seeds that have been in my pc case (paper towel/zip lock bag method) for about 24 hrs now, but nothing yet.. hoping to get some germs so i can start up this project..

the total cost tally of this build (not including the things i already had)

$45.67

took me about 20 minutes total is all to have it done.. i still haven't put in the reflective blanket yet cause im not too keen on how to attach it?

any way questions, comments all welcomed :)

and now pics!

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Plants "require" fresh air(or co2 supplementation)

u have to have a little fan our somethin blowing on the plant atleast a few hours a day to make the stem fat out ur plants will be week and just fall over ,,also i seen u got 1 big pot in that rubbermaid u can only plant 1 plant per pot and this is very important because if u have a male plant u will have to remove it and when u pull it out it will destory the female roots and if u just cut the mail down and leave the roots the roots will die up and u will give your female plant rootrot it does not seem like a big deal but it is so id get a copple single pots to avoid destroying ur plants good luck,,and besides that your set up looks great u just need to tweek it a little more ,,,happy growin

tom-tom said:
u have to have a little fan our somethin blowing on the plant atleast a few hours a day to make the stem fat out ur plants will be week and just fall over ,,also i seen u got 1 big pot in that rubbermaid u can only plant 1 plant per pot and this is very important because if u have a male plant u will have to remove it and when u pull it out it will destory the female roots and if u just cut the mail down and leave the roots the roots will die up and u will give your female plant rootrot it does not seem like a big deal but it is so id get a copple single pots to avoid destroying ur plants good luck,,and besides that your set up looks great u just need to tweek it a little more ,,,happy growin

well i had read that 12/12 from day 1 will induce females

i'll be manually airing them out.. i dont need fat stems, this is a SOG, they can fall over if they want they will be supported by a grid/canopy. :)

you'll be fine ive never used a fan n the stems always turn out really thick

n for co2 get carbonated water and spray the plants down when they sprout outa the dirt.

onelove420 said:
n for co2 get carbonated water and spray the plants down when they sprout outa the dirt.

AH! thanks for the hot tip ill definatly do that

onelove420 said:
you'll be fine ive never used a fan n the stems always turn out really thick

Many many "newbies" have problems with weak stems. A fan cures the problem. The thicker the stalk, the more nutrients it will transport, the more growth it will produce.
SOG, they can fall over if they want they will be supported by a grid/canopy.
SOG does NOT us a "screen or grid"...SCROG, however does.

So, what are your temps after a couple of hours with the lights on? Seems to me it would get really hot in there without any ventilation.

that set up wont work to good man im not tryin to be negative but it will work fine mabey for a week our 2 then u will start havin problems u can fix that now but getting a copple pots so they got their own pots and hear is what i did i cut a hole in the top of my box just like urs and set a little fan on top of the hole u have to cut a little hole in the bottom side of the box to so the air can excape but i trashed that hole idea because i want a little more bud than a box that size can produce lol but it worked good for the seedlings till about 2 weeks but good luck its just what i think good luck in,any way u go

I'm not sure how hot it gets in there just yet, i havent taken her on a test run yet. I'm ordering some seeds tomarrow, some speed queen from sboutique. Okay well since im getting alot of negative feed back about ventilation n my single soil container, perhaps i will see if i can find some small individual ones.

I have alot of PC fans laying around, the only problem is they make noise. I can't have noise. So what do i do?

You will still have noise, even a small computer fan will produce noise. There's not much you can do about the noise that I know of, I have the same problem too man!
But my setup is way bigger then your's so I have more options.
Also if you wont to install a computer fan you will need to find the right adapter that will fit it's needs or else you will burn it and battery's wont last long, I'm sure you know that tho!
Hope I helped!
Dro:cool2:

Also if I was you I would think of a total new design that has more grow space so you can install all the growing needs so you can get bigger plants(BIGGER BUDS), It will be worth it in the long run!:bolt:
And if you know what you are doing, And know that its goin to work for sure then by all means go for it!

ah i got some 12v adapters laying around here as well that should work, i have 2 computers in the grow area that make alot of fan noise so maybe it will just blend in, i'd like that but i guess if it is very noticeable it wont matter much. If you guys say its worth it i'll at least install some fans and individual containers, as for grow setup design id really like to test this out first but yeah, a migration will probably occur in the future : ) thanks so far for the feed back gentlemen

Yea that will give it some air flow!

lmfao what is that?? a 2 cfm fan lol? well, that setup will work, plant about 6 seeds moderatly seperated, and flower from seed, or grow a mother and sog. however, telling someone that there setup wont work is not right, you can make anything work, i believe it is bbp who's growing in a pc, come on guys, get with the program.

Dc

okay gents i added some fans, hopefully it will keep the temps down, if not ill have to redesign.. im pretty sure it will though, i got a buddy whos runnin dual 80mm fans and 2 fixtures with 6 lights and he is up in the 90-91 range, i have half as many lights so i should be fine. (plus mine arent 42 watters like his.)

SpeedQueen from seedb is on the way!! (i also am not using that kitty litter tray, but have not picked up the new containers yet)

the orange stuff you see in the pics like in the intake hole pic, and exhaust pic by the wiring is high temp RTV i used to seal up some stuff :)

intakehole.jpg

intakefan.jpg

exhaust.jpg

DankCloset said:
lmfao what is that?? a 2 cfm fan lol? well, that setup will work, plant about 6 seeds moderatly seperated, and flower from seed, or grow a mother and sog. however, telling someone that there setup wont work is not right, you can make anything work, i believe it is bbp who's growing in a pc, come on guys, get with the program.

Dc

Haha, well its rated at 5-11cfm so it should move a "little" air, but its a small unit so, and it doesnt feel like it puts out too much after being on for 18 hrs. But man it got a little more humid, i could feel it.

Latest posts

Back