Almost Time - Closet Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClosetGrow420

New Grower
Reaction score
I have found that I am going start alot sooner than expected, originally I was going to start mid March, but now it should be mid February!

The Grow Box Home - First of all, the dimensions of this area are 5 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 8 feet high. I will not be using the full closet really at all. I will be performing a micro grow, very similar to thorn and ak.

Grow Box - I will be using a 22 gallon rubber maiden box (with a lid)

Lights - I will be picking up a 6 pack of 26watt CFL's...only plan on using three, but who knows! I will attach them to a 3 bulb light fixture which I will attach at the top of the box, the lights will hang vertically from there. Also will have a 70 watt HPS for flowering...same place as the CFL's, will just remove the CFL's.

Ventallation - I will be using computer fans to keep air moving with in the rubber maiden. I will be ordering 10 80mm fans, I will most likely only use 2-4, but it is cheaper to buy 10 then it is to buy 4, go figure. These will be attactched to an AC adapter, yattah yattah yattah. 2 of the fans(intake) will be located on the lid, on either side of the light fixture, to make sure my lights stay nice and cool. Also 1-2 on the lower side of the rubber maiden to insure strong stems! 1 fan will be used for exhaust to help get all the stagant air out, etc.

The Smell - To help the smell, the exhaust fan will be leading to a carbon filter. This I have a few questions on that I will ask later. I will be following this model http://boards.cannabis.com/growroom-setup/90173-how-carbon-filter.html. That should easily take care of the smell of 1-2 plants.

Pots / Soil / Nutrients - No idea what size pots I will use, guess I will wait till after the construction for that. I have some very rich organic soil laying around, which I may toss in some blended old banana peels or something, probably unnecessary. Nutrients....I am completely confused, HELP!!!!

Water! - I will be using salt water straight from the ocean, haha jk!!! I will be using distilled water from the good ole grocery store. Also picking up a spray bottle + seltzer water too help with CO2 production, unless pointless?

Growing Agenda - Something I am confused about here is when to switch to 18/6 or do I do that as soon as the germinated seed drops on in the soil? Anyways, I will be doing one - two weeks of veg cycle (to keep it small) then begin to flower it. This is when I will slap in that 70 watt HPS. Will that HPS be able to plug into the same light fixture? Then I expect to flower for the basic 12/12 and 8 weeks.

After the Growing - Then I will pick off the buds, leave on some of the lower buds and leaves, attempt a revegg. and let it veg up for another 1-2 weeks and place it out in the woods, ocassionally taking clones for the rubber maiden to keep busy. Then the plants in the woods will flower aswell. :D

--------------------------

Am I missing anything important? Please just let me know what you guys think, if you have any questions or comments, shoot away!

This is also my first grow, so dont make fun of me if I am doing something stupid, haha!

Thanks! :hubba:

Looking good, i can help ya with nutes and the HPS question

for nutes in veg you want usually straight across or even numbers 10-10-10 works good, they don't have to be even though, 15-9-17 .. they vary, but aren't that bad.. now for flowering u want the middle number high, mine is 10-52-10 for instance, the high phosphor helps with the flowering.

A hps bulb needs an igniter, a capacitor and a ballast, plus it needs a H.I.D. socket (either mogul or medium)

C02 introduction is pointless unless temps are correct, it is distributed properly.. etc etc, i don't use it myself. Others will argue about that though probably.

i would not hang the lights vertically if they are contained within a 22gal, that wouldn't leave any height at all almost, i would use a horizontal hanging but thats just ma preference, you got any pics yet? When do you plan to start construction then, still February?

i think your better off growing under a quad cfl setup and focusing the little lumens you will have at the plant.

I think you should not waste your money on distilled water and use regular old tap water PH'd of course. get a digital ph meter. get an easy nute like GH 3 part.

why are you going so small if you have a closet? If your growing small to conceal your grow.......what important is the conceal part right..its the stealth of the grow. get a wardrobe and use the half that you would hang jackets or pants to grow. that will give you a little more vertical space. you will only have the room to grow one plant, but at least you will have sufficient yeild to smoke from that one larger plant and hold you over for next harvest. ♠

Yeah, construction starts february and growing starts late feb or early march.

Thanks for the post! I am sure my grow will go successful with you guys helping me :D.

Anyone here use a carbon filter? I am wondering if a 80mm fan would even push enough air through the filter. Would this be better? http://www.smarthome.com/3016.html

I would, but my closet is...difficult to explain...thanks for the tips on lights and water! Once I start posting pictures you will understand.

allgrownup said:
i think your better off growing under a quad cfl setup and focusing the little lumens you will have at the plant.

I think you should not waste your money on distilled water and use regular old tap water PH'd of course. get a digital ph meter. get an easy nute like GH 3 part.

why are you going so small if you have a closet? If your growing small to conceal your grow.......what important is the conceal part right..its the stealth of the grow. get a wardrobe and use the half that you would hang jackets or pants to grow. that will give you a little more vertical space. you will only have the room to grow one plant, but at least you will have sufficient yeild to smoke from that one larger plant and hold you over for next harvest. ♠

for a grow that small you will prolly be fine just using a carbon filter cartridge from an aquarium tank. your not going to get a large yeild with a micro grow. you plan on harvesting grams not oz's right lol

nothing to build or assemble really. check those out. may work ok with that fan. you would have to make a pretty small carbon filter for that small fan.

and yes....i know first hand. i have that same inline fan bringing fresh air into my grow cab and a 365cfm ******* out my heat from the light.

♠

Thats another question I have, will I need a fan for my lights? I am confused about how a fan goes into the light and then out the other side.

As for yield...no not oz's. I plan on pounds, haha, how much you think a yield would be from that?

Would I at least get like a half o for each plant, or not even that?

please post pics of your setup thus far!i am anxious to start a brand new grow setup in my closet.question tho,u have a grow box in ur growroom?i was confused about that

Havent started construction yet, but I can explain what I mean by the growbox. It will be placed in like a corner in my closet. So I will have the closet, then the growbox with in the closet. Get it now?

The closet isnt my growroom...I labeled that wrong, its just where the growbox is going to be placed.

phillybuds said:
please post pics of your setup thus far!i am anxious to start a brand new grow setup in my closet.question tho,u have a grow box in ur growroom?i was confused about that

how much of a yield are u expecting?i wanna have a ggod yield,maybe about 4 ounces out of my closet grow,im just taking ideas now because i really dont wanna screw up lol

Well I am expecting close to the same yeild as AK, who has a grow journal going right now. For the first flowering in the grow box I wont expect a great yeild, hopefully a half ounce to an ounce for my 1-2 plants. But once I revegg. and put them outside I expect a much more impressive yeild!

phillybuds said:
how much of a yield are u expecting?i wanna have a ggod yield,maybe about 4 ounces out of my closet grow,im just taking ideas now because i really dont wanna screw up lol

you will need lots of airflow with that small of a grow area to control temps.

with 8' of height.....and expectations of 14 grams per plant......I'd like to see you rethink your grow space since you have no intention of starting right away

In my mind i see a gro space thats 18" wide and taaaaaaaaaall. with 2 quad cfls on the same light schedule. 1 shelf. shelf holds a 2 gallon pot sitting in a tray to contain runout. so vision this...1 plant sitting on floor. light hanging from bottom of shelf containing another plant with light above it. just use mylar and roll up/down for door.

♠

narrow.jpg

by the way.....you will be on an 18/6 or longer from the time the seed pops. if you are going to grow in that small container (which i think is a bad idea) than i would go 24 hr to help keep plants short as possible.

plants will want to stretch in dark seeking light.

Thats a interesting schematic, i would love to try that setup drawn up there, ill keep diagram in my special pics folder.

I would be happy if i even got 14 grams dry from my two speed queens, i have no idea what my yeild would be or will be, or even be close too for that matter.. maybe ill only get 7 ahaha.

hey man i was wondering,i see that u r using a rubbermaid box which i did before,but the fact that ur puttin it under the lid might not leave enuff space,u ever think about putting two rubbermaid tubs ontop of each other?that would give u more clearance?thats what i did in my first attemt,may work a lil better clearance wise.also when i used tap water,it stunted the growth of my plants,i didnt have a ph tester tho and i was nt giving them nutes..but then again that was my first attempt,im on my second now and learning as i go along!

Great idea about stacking, I just saw one like that.

I would have 6 cfl's on the top...with a 120-140mm fan also right there to cool down the cfls. Everything else would be the same...except I might just cfl through harvesting.

WHAT?
after all that, you just suddenly say your not going to grow????????///
Pshhha

You had a whole plan, and seemed ready to go.......but.....?

I just thought about it...ima wait till I get my own place...dont want to disrespect the parents by growing behing there backs...

I have a constant supply of weed and a good relationship with a dealer that sells nothing else but dank. Im good for now...but when I move out, I will come back :hubba:

Peace!

Okay well...I am so confused about this...just cant make up my damn mind, lol.

I just dont want to spend to much money on this.

2x 22 gallon rubber maidens
6x CFLS
2x 3 socket light fixtures
Nutes
Fans
Wires
Tools
carbon filter

can i do this for like 100 dollars?

Latest posts

Back