Any electricians in the house??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Music
Reaction score
I got a problem...I was vacuuming upstairs when some of the power went out. Figured I tripped a breaker but after going downstairs to check none were tripped. The effected outlets still don't work though. Like 4 outlets hve gone dead. I know nothing about electrical. Not sure where to even start looking for the problem. Any help wld be appreciated....

flip 'em all anyway...

...a few breakers in my house don't look tripped when they really are.

if that don't work, then you may have a "deeper" problem.

Not doubting you HL, but flip them anyway, 4 outlets sure sounds like a breaker.

Are they (the outlets) on a GFI circuit? Try resetting all your GFIs. There should be one in your bathroom and kitchen near the sinks.

Also do your outlets have those little reset buttons?

ArtVandolay said:
Are they (the outlets) on a GFI circuit? Try resetting all your GFIs. There should be one in your bathroom and kitchen near the sinks.

What Art said HL.

Thanks guys for the responses.....I went and flipped all the breakers and got nothing. There is a GFI breaker in the bathroom that is on the circuit and I reset that and nothing. So then I grabbed my Battery charger for my electric drill and went around trying the outlets to see which ones were truly out and when I plugged it into the one that the vacuum was plugged into all the outlets started working again and the lights, fan etc came back on. If I unplug that outlet everything goes back off though... I am thinking I hve a loose connection in that outlet and it must be causing a break in the circuit. Might flip the breaker and pull the outlet out and hve a look. Not very skilled in electrical but I don't want to hve to put all my tents away and hide my plants and call an electrician.

Hamster Lewis said:
Thanks guys for the responses.....I went and flipped all the breakers and got nothing. There is a GFI breaker in the bathroom that is on the circuit and I reset that and nothing. So then I grabbed my Battery charger for my electric drill and went around trying the outlets to see which ones were truly out and when I plugged it into the one that the vacuum was plugged into all the outlets started working again and the lights, fan etc came back on. If I unplug that outlet everything goes back off though... I am thinking I hve a loose connection in that outlet and it must be causing a break in the circuit. Might flip the breaker and pull the outlet out and hve a look. Not very skilled in electrical but I don't want to hve to put all my tents away and hide my plants and call an electrician.

that's scary!!! f'n house could burn down if you got a loose connection.

...screw the troubles and get it fixed right i say. maybe even upgrade while you've got 'em out there :hubba:

Just to mention it, there may be more than one GFI, Hammy. Check the garage/basement for them, too. I happen to know a lot about electricity as demonstrated by my flower tent hookup pictured below:

arc.jpg

Hamster Lewis said:
when I plugged it into the one that the vacuum was plugged into all the outlets started working again and the lights, fan etc came back on. If I unplug that outlet everything goes back off though... I am thinking I hve a loose.

Wow that is not good, definetly leave that breaker off until you get it straight.

So after taking the cover off and pulling the outlet out to inspect it I found that one of the wires had come out of its spots on the back of the outlet. Looks like it is stripped and the outlet needs to be replaced. Heading to Agent Orange now. Thanks for the help Peeps.

So replaced the outlet and all is fine. Thanks again.

nice, to hear , i just went through the same thing in our house and it was old damaged outlets.

hick.man said:
nice, to hear , i just went through the same thing in our house and it was old damaged outlets.

Yeah I was freaking thinking it might be the actual wiring in the walls. The thought of pulling down sheet rock to look for the problem made me nauseous. Even I can change an outlet.:p

Latest posts

Back