Any pumpkin growers out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh wow sm they look cool ,,:cool2:
,my first pumkin seeds ever have just broke ground so ill be following your example hopefully :D

UKgirl420 said:
oh wow sm they look cool ,,:cool2:
,my first pumkin seeds ever have just broke ground so ill be following your example hopefully :D

Hahahaha awesome UKgirl!!! Good luck with yours...do take pics. :)

Yep, heat is taking its toll this week, better water the heck out of those puppies. What kind of fruit tree is that in the background? I love seeing pics that show the yard of members, it's like being there, except we arn't passing a hoot to each other.:48:

SmokinMom said:
Have yours broke ground yet Ukgirl?

yes thanks mom :D still tiny little :baby: tho

100_7315.JPG100_7317.JPG
100_7503.JPG100_7504.JPG

how many pumkins do you have in that little lot :eek: sm ?

Hey sherwood- its some sort of pear tree. The pears aren't ready for pickin til oct and nov usually. They are yummy.

UKgirl- my guess is around 15 and they are all orange already. :D

Friday update time.

They don't look that great. But still growing like crazy. They will soon reach the kids play structure. I wonder if the vine will creep up it, haha.

Also, its still flowering and I spotted a new little baby today.

I think I'll get hubs to put more manure down this weekend.

Yes, they will climb it and then tell the kids to buzz off!

Over the weekend I gave them some of my brother-in-laws Super Dirt. I have no idea what was in it but it smelled good and earthy. I have also been giving them more water. Look how happy the ones on the fence are!!!

Is it just me or do they really look like they've perked up??

In the 3rd pic you can see a baby female flower.

Thanks 4 lookin'.

They look good SM! Pumpkins have so much total leaf area compared to the base and roots, that they can use a bunch of water this far in the grow. Of course, your pumpkins will get much bigger if you put the water to them, But, you only live once right? They are looking so much better. I am glad I was wrong about the svb. Good job.
Before someone asks me: svb= squash vine borer

Ack! Something has been eating on the underside of one of mine. I just want to cry.

I need to check all the others but I am scared what I might find.

This has really depressed me today.

Any ideas what it could be?

Hard to tell SM. Mice, slugs? I dunno. Did you put anything under each pumpkin to get them off the ground? Cardboard, a small piece of plywood, small concrete pavers? Time to make an early pie! Just cut off the ugly parts.

Hey guys, figure its time for an update...

The pumpkins had a hard time handling the 100+ heat and I couldn't keep up with the watering. I went out of town for a few days and my family forgot all about them. Needless to say, they suffered and I was never able to bring them back up to snuff. We counted close to 20 once all the leaves shrivveled up and died. But most were chewed up by insects and neglect. I felt bad, but learned a lot about what to do, and don't do next season. ;)

But something quite amazing has happened....well if you're following the saga of my dad in this whole thing. If not, go back and read the 1st page.

Anyways, when my family moved into this house 10 yrs ago, the following spring my dad brought over a packet of Morning Glory seeds that we planted along the fence line by where the pumpkin patch later was. They would climb the fence, and were so beautiful. The morning glorys came back year after year. Then about 4 yrs ago they quit growing. Imagine my surprise when I saw this vine growing, out of nowhere, after we mowed down all that pumpkin mess!!!! :)

My dad still is alive in my heart, and in my backyard.
:heart:

ohh wonderful SM
,wow how cool ....your dad was getting fed up of the dying pumpkins and wanted something beautiful for you in there place ...little mesages like that are wonderful .,:peace:

That's amazing. The re-emergence of the morning glory is natures way of thanking you for being a plant person.
Will you be training it up on the fence again? That really is a nice color.

That's a beautiful pumpkin patch. As to your earlier question about cutting dead leaves it's up to you.

You can leave them or cut them off, whichever you prefer. When I'm dealing with my vines (squash as well) I just cut off leaves if they really bug me, otherwise I leave them. New leaves will grow up and hide them eventually.

cool thread ma'. Thats cool that the Mornin' Glory showed up. Better luck with the pumpkins next year:)

Latest posts

Back