Any strain engineered for cold weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingTut144

Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a strain available that can last through the winter in no less than 10°F (and sometimes snow). If there isn't, it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to have that option.

Anyone?

not many if any will live at 40 F for extended periods so prob not 10 F.

Cannabis ruderalis is the most resistant type to cold weather. While tropical sativa's are the most resistant to high temps. All you have to do is look at where the plant originated geographically. Cannabis ruderalis is the reason there are autoflowering marijuana plants. The genetic traits within cannabis ruderalis allow the plant to flower without a change in the light cycle.

No, there is no marijuana strain that is going to grow in those temps. When temps get below 60F growth slows substantially. A couple of days of freezing temps will kill the plant.

:(

okay... well, with that said, if you grow a [supposed to be] outdoor plant in doors with ample height and nutrient supply, you think they would flourish faster in a hydroponic setup? (i.e. get a year's worth of buds in ≤ 6months?)

No. While hydro IMO gives you faster vegetative growth than soil, it is not substantial and there is nothing you can do to hasten flowering--it takes what it takes. Outdoor plants generally yield more than indoor plants because the sun is stronger than indoor lighting and the plants generally grow larger.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No. While hydro IMO gives you faster vegetative growth than soil, it is not substantial and there is nothing you can do to hasten flowering--it takes what it takes. Outdoor plants generally yield more than indoor plants because the sun is stronger than indoor lighting and the plants generally grow larger.

so even if i put them in hydro system for 3 months, then switch to 12/12 lighting for an additional 3+ months under HIDs they won't yield bigger results? o_O that sucks... i think i will eventually experiment with this anyway just to test the waters... (probably won't happen at least for another year or so)

If your looking for more harvest per year. Then you can run a perpetual grow. But indoors cannot produce more bud terms of weight per sq ft, then you can growing outside. You can harvest every week if you wanted to indoors.

Latest posts

Back