Anyone add anything to Ocean Forest soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umbra said:
You can grow a plant with straight FFOF and no additives. That is not the question. The question was, do you add anything. If you were to compare 2 clones, 1 grown in straight FFOF and 1 with enhanced FFOF, you would see a massive difference in the final product. So what you do with that knowledge is up to you.
umbra-

You had a grow journal 3-4 years ago of a Black Rose cross that you were growing a black pheno out of but never posted harvest pictures of it. Do you have any? And if you do, would you post them?

-nasty

bubba902 said:
I was told not to nute until flipping in FFOF.

i find after about 4 weeks FFOF needed a big boost of nutes before flowering time. plants also need a boost of calicum around 3 weeks. and a heavy dose of magnesium round a week or so of flowering. straight out the bag

the plants that didnt get those suffered near middle of flowering, showing defincices

No pix I'm afraid. That was when my sister called LEO and told them I was growing. I deleted all the pix and wiped my hard drive clean.
getnasty said:
umbra-

You had a grow journal 3-4 years ago of a Black Rose cross that you were growing a black pheno out of but never posted harvest pictures of it. Do you have any? And if you do, would you post them?

-nasty

Just wanted to add something. Although I have nowhere near the experience I have been using FFOF + Lime + Perlite along with the Trio for a few grows now and the last run really jacked up the plants (clones). They clawed at the first watering (ph'd RO only) and have been just over 10 weeks now. They are still deep green even after 9.5 weeks flowering and I still have a few claws. Drives me nuts!

I m used to burning the clones a bit but they usually recover and take off just fine after the first week or so. I will not be using it that way again. I haven't decided if I will cut it with happy frog, go back to Black Gold or just go with a non amended mix like Pro-MixBX and feed earlier/more often.

I will probably try my hand at a completely organic compost over the summer as just water no feed sounds good to me.

I add about 1/3 perlite to it because if I don't it seems like I could go a couple weeks with out watering and I like it to dry out completely between watering.

I use FFoF, and I amend Hell out of it. I add perlite, vermiculite, bat guano, bone meal, blood meal, and garden lime. I make sure the clones and seedlings have a well developed root system going before I transplant them into this HOT soil, but I am having pretty good results -- I also put in some "Great White" when I repot them. I'm using GH 3-part nutes, 400w of MH in vedge and 600w HPS in flower. I feed them about every other watering in vedge (depends on what they are telling me) and I feed them every watering in flower because it is taking a week or more for the pots to dry out between watering, and I figure they need food -- I give plain PHed water the last couple of waterings before harvest. Seems to work pretty good this way, but I am always ready for improvement and constantly changing things up. This is only my third harvest, so it is a work in progress.

Peace

I think I'll run a little unofficial test. I'll put 2 plants in straight FFOF and 2 others in FFOF amended with Mexican Bat Guano, Worm Castings, Mushroom Compost and Perlite. That's about as scientific as I can get!

AG

I'm not a soil grower "per say" but I do know that GH Ancient Forest is some of the best composted material I have ever seen. I currently use it to brew a tea. It's so dark and broken down but it does not stink or get hot. It feel soft to the touch and makes me want to make a pillow out of it...wait what:rofl:

But seriously, it is some good stuff with more LIVE bennies in it then anything ot there, and better for your soil then a 100$ bottle of Great White!

Only grown one OD season so far, but had great results with FFOF and added perlite and worm castings. Think i'll add more of what Umbra said and give it a try.

my GReatWhite only cost around $18.00 :confused2:

Those of you that use Fox Farms Ocean Forest, do you ever add anything to it, like perlite, or guano or anything?

AG
Due to the price for OF and since it comes with fert. in it, I do amend the OF with compost n perlite with some grounded dolomite lime for ph. At $22 per 1.5 c.ft. and all the 5 gl. or 10 gl. buckets to fill cut it without damaging it I say.

Due to the price for OF and since it comes with fert. in it, I do amend the OF with compost n perlite with some grounded dolomite lime for ph. At $22 per 1.5 c.ft. and all the 5 gl. or 10 gl. buckets to fill cut it without damaging it I say.

have you ever tried ProMix?

by the way , welcome aboard , i believe we have a few Michiganites members here

I found ocean forest a bit hot for young plants. I do use the strawberry soil from FF tho as it can be used with just perlite at any stage of the plant. You could defiantly mix it with something naked like ProMix or just use the ProMix by it self and add your own nutes.

I found ocean forest a bit hot for young plants. I do use the strawberry soil from FF tho as it can be used with just perlite at any stage of the plant. You could defiantly mix it with something naked like ProMix or just use the ProMix by it self and add your own nutes.
My mix:

My Soil Mix ratio: ~6-6.5 pH

StL Compost raised bed mix (silt/compost mix a heavier blend) 18%

FF Ocean forest Or Happy Frog

32%

Black Gold Natural & Organic

32%

Blk Kow Manure 18%

(cactus sand or all purpose sand & more perlite added optional, I’ll also put 2 OZs of Hoffman Chicken manure as a top mix after plants 16 days old)

Latest posts

Back