Are halogens totally useless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gangotri

Reaction score
I found two brand new 300w halogen tubes at home and I was wondering if it could be used for flowering. Pics below.

I tested it and realized they are really hot, but could it be worth trying (spectrun speaking) with a fan and more distant from the plants?

The bulbs are just sitting there, it would be a waste not to use it...

Any opinions on that?

DSCN3373.JPG

DSCN3374.JPG

gangotri said:
I found two brand new 300w halogen tubes at home and I was wondering if it could be used for flowering. Pics below.

I tested it and realized they are really hot, but could it be worth trying (spectrun speaking) with a fan and more distant from the plants?

The bulbs are just sitting there, it would be a waste not to use it...

Any opinions on that?

No opinion, just fact. Easily checked from other sources.

They are absolutely worthless as plant lights.

WAY too much heat, wrong spectrum and not enough usable lumens to make the electric bill worth it. By the time you had enough usable plant lumens, you'd be able to bake a roast and some bread in with the plants.

Great lights for a barn. Keeps the cows warm and happy.

Stoney Bud said:
No opinion, just fact. Easily checked from other sources.

They are absolutely worthless as plant lights.

WAY too much heat, wrong spectrum and not enough usable lumens to make the electric bill worth it. By the time you had enough usable plant lumens, you'd be able to bake a roast and some bread in with the plants.

Great lights for a barn. Keeps the cows warm and happy.

Thanks Stoney Bud, Ill keep those bulbs for when I got some cattle in my apartment, lol.

Hey Stoney... Quick question. In previous posts about lights, people spoke about how T5s are nothing special because heat was caused by Watts. So, a 400W HID will produce the same amount of heat as 400Ws od T5 Fluoros. But right here,
Stoney Bud said:
...WAY too much heat...

Just trying to clear this up. Do some bulbs produce less heat than others. Isn't it the ballast that produces most heat? I don't have a full understanding, so maybe you could help clear this up for all of us young folk;).

DLtoker said:
Hey Stoney... Quick question. In previous posts about lights, people spoke about how T5s are nothing special because heat was caused by Watts. So, a 400W HID will produce the same amount of heat as 400Ws od T5 Fluoros. Just trying to clear this up. Do some bulbs produce less heat than others. Isn't it the ballast that produces most heat? I don't have a full understanding, so maybe you could help clear this up for all of us young folk;).

Yes, some bulbs do create more heat than others. Some bulbs create a LOT of heat in comparison to the lumen output.

Halogen lights are worthless as plant lights because the lumens are poor in comparison to the heat they create. It takes about 12 T5's to equal the amount of lumens a single 400 watt HPS puts out. The heat that 12 T5's create, (including the ballasts), is more than the 400 watt HPS would produce.

The best lumen to watt ratio in lighting is with HPS when also considering cost per/lumen.

I AGREE with Stoney i had i friend trying to grow with them and 1/2 of his crop got burn plus since they produce low lumens he try to put them close to get the best out of them and thats what he did he got the best of it (HEAT)

12 T5s is 60,000 lumens. With my 1200W or so of T5s, my garden is only 5-8 degrees warmer than my 400W HPS... I'm not getting into a debate about which one is better because everyone has different styles of growing. Check out my journal if you haven't Stoney. T5s work pretty swell.

DLtoker said:
12 T5s is 60,000 lumens. With my 1200W or so of T5s, my garden is only 5-8 degrees warmer than my 400W HPS... I'm not getting into a debate about which one is better because everyone has different styles of growing. Check out my journal if you haven't Stoney. T5s work pretty swell.

They sure do man. My 430 Watt Hortilux has 58,500 lumens at a much better spectrum and as you said, just slightly less heat. Both are excellent methods to use. The HPS has a slight edge on the T5's because of the heat factor and the cost per/lumen.

You should have seen one of my first hydro grows. It was about 25 years ago and I got the brand-new HO flos. I built a plywood reflector and installed 8 foot HO flos across the entire 10 x 10 foot room. Kept those puppies about 3 inches from the grow.

The results were very good.

Everything has it's up's and downs. It's all good as long as some smokable green comes from it.

if bulbs don't produce heat........how come i burnt the flesh off the back of one of my fingers before? LOL

My bulb is soooo many times hotter than my ballast.

Yet those flouros.....ahhhhhhhh

I saw some pics of the southpole hydro room online and there is a girl holding a HID bulb while its on!!!!!! Now thats a cool HID where do you get those.

Best of both worlds???????

Haha! Speaking of heat, my grow is baked! :eek: I have only been checking my room every 3 days or so and the outside temps have jumped into the 80s as of late. I walked into my room last night to get BLASTED with heat. Plants were wilted, shriveled up and toppled over. I think some plant are going to get tossed outside...:(

whoah! that bites man....

don't toss'em yet. raise your lights, mist them regularly, cut off some dead foilage every other day. they'll bounce back. you'll probably loose most o f the large fan leaves and many leaves from the lower half. the top will stand up again and thrive IF they are going to make it.

You'll know in about 4-5 days.

Try to time your lighting cycle with the coolest part of the day. right now i'm flowering from 11am to 11pm dark and 11pm to am lights on. this way i'm not running lights during hottest part of day.

good luck

How hot did your thermostat say? Where i'm at in CA its been 95 for the last few days. I also leave my cabinet door slightly open to help (only while light is on)

Definitely over 100*. I was too flipped out to even check when I got blasted full force with hot air when I opened the door. My lights are from 9pm - 9am. So, I also am using the cooler nights... Well, trying to anyways.

allgrownup said:
I saw some pics of the southpole hydro room online and there is a girl holding a HID bulb while its on!!!!!! Now thats a cool HID where do you get those.

Sounds like a "cool tube" It's a tube with the bulb enclosed in a pyrex tube with it's own exhaust. You can get it right on the plant. Worth a look see...but if heats a prob. A good freind of mine just gave me two colas from his first "CFL" grow and they were pretty good...a lil fluffy, but gave me a great buzz. I was impressed what (2) 42 watt bulbs could do on 1 plant bagseed at that. Guess my bro had "the gift".....but HID is the best. ;)

Latest posts

Back