Are there any nutes that RAISE pH rather than lower it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riddle me this fellow growers. I mixed up some Espoma Dolomite Lime in 1 gallon of water. I used about 2 Tbsp of lime and mixed it up as well as possible. After pouring off some of the solution to use as a calmag additive in my soil, I checked the pH just out of curiosity and ffound that it was reading at 2.5pH. I though the Lime is supposed to raise the pH. Actually after pouring some into my soil and checking the runoff, my pH was too high at 7.6 and had to be flushed out. How is this right?

First thing, dolomite lime doesn't dissolve in water. It's ground up dolomite limestone and rock just doesn't dissolve all that well. A very small portion might, but mainly the super fine stuff just goes into suspension.

Espoma lime is pelletized, yes? I'm thinking that initial low pH might be from the fast dissolving clay binder that forms the pellets, but I'm really unsure of that.

Lime has to be in proximity of whatever it's affecting the pH of, if not actually touching. IE: mixed in the soil, or, as it works its way down if applied as a top dress.

Checking runoff is at best a waste of time. Soil pH will fluctuate with time and at different locations within the mix. Best to apply the right amount and forget about pH for a year or so. My pH meter hasn't been out of the box for over 3 years, except to remove the batteries a couple years ago. There have been no pH related issues.

I think that 7.6 was a fluke just as the 2.5 was.

Wet

Silicate will raise your PH a bit. HL, when added to plain water it will shoot up PH to 9+, but when added to a nuit mix, it is not near as drastic, raising the PH only a few points.

On another note, most ALL hydro store folks I know get ZERO commission....hourly wage and that's it.

Yes, something like Dyna Gro's Pro Tekt in addition to being a good silica and K source works well as a pH up. IDK how much, I use it as a organic supplement, but something to check out.

Vostok

You may want to re-check your books. Mine say vinegar is acidic and will lower pH and lime is alkaline and will raise a low pH.:bolt:

Wet

Are you using GH liquid or powder? I use the powder and and mix it to my preference which is on the strong side.

I finally switched to the powder and I like it much better. Half a teaspoon in every gallon and it puts me right on the sweet spot of about 6.5

Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back