Argh what size pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exarmy

Reaction score
Hey guys so I built a pretty nice little sterlite hydro setup.

the specs

6-5" net pots
hydroton pebbles
30 gallon sterlite tote

well I had a 66 gallon per hour pump here at the house. that I was build this for, not really nowing anything about pumps. I went with the logic of "wow this pumps 66 gph and i need 2 gph for each plant so it will work" uhhhhh no not really. this little piece of trash will water mabe one im thinking"

so those with the know how. what i would like. is a pump that can run 6 plants to harvest with a decent yeild. and would like to make this a scrog.

Also how often should I set up the on/off time for...and am i correct in thinking not to water them at night?

No its a drip system i would guess. I cut the holes in the lid right. and have run speggetti tubing to each 5 in basket. the roots will hang in the air/ and in the rez.

Are your drip emitters pressure regulated? If they are get the ones that are not, or take the emitters off.

no i was just going to use 1/4 in tubing from a manifold

Is this a DWC(roots in rez)?

you can topfeed with drippers if you want.. and will probably need to untill the roots are established..but once those roots reach the water level you might aswell lose the drippers and pump lots of air into the res..dwc style..
the first mistake folks make when they're tryin to do hydro is they make things too complicated. Goodluck.

dude I think Im just going to get a 400gph hr pump that should be enough right?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Why not just do DWC and forget the water pump?
It sounds like you are going to do a top feed/DWC setup anyways. Might as well save the money on the water pump, like THG suggested.

well after a trip to the hydro store, I came home with an air pump that is rated at 38 gpm. Is this going to give my roots enough air? It was the biggest one they had. So i hope so. I has a manifold to feed 5 airstones in my 30 gallon tote.
Another question should be how much water should i put in it?
Also I dont have any rock wool with jiffy pellets work?

Exarmy said:
well after a trip to the hydro store, I came home with an air pump that is rated at 38 gpm. Is this going to give my roots enough air? It was the biggest one they had. So i hope so. I has a manifold to feed 5 airstones in my 30 gallon tote.
Another question should be how much water should i put in it?
Also I dont have any rock wool with jiffy pellets work?
I am not sure where I got this philosophy, but when I was looking at air pumps I wanted to split a minimum of 60gph per bucket. Like I said I can't remember where I got that from but I do know that in my 31gal mixing station I run a 30gph pump and fill it up to 24 gals and I would not use that pump for a DWC unless it was for a singlw bucket but after seeing how the water reacts to 950gph pump I wouldn't go that low. 950 split 8 ways is 118.75gph. Like I said though I do not know for sure it won't work for you. As far as the jiffy pellots go, I do not know that much about them. I wouldn't use them. I read something about lava rocks from like home depot or something but I would recomend buying hydroton. A only used around 15L or so with my eight buckets.

if one were to want to build a acrog screen for this, how big should it be? would a screen 3-3.5ft x 4ft work with 1400w hid?

Exarmy said:
hxxp://www.dga-online.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=728450&Category_Code=AP&Store_Code=D

I know its an out side link but this is the one I got. It is rated at 38 liters per mintue. And if you muliply that by 15.8503231 gph which is how many 1lpm is equal to. Thats is 592.0522778 gph. so thats pretty close to being on the cusp of ok for a 30 gallon tote?

I would say your water will be rolling pretty good then with that pump. I though before you said it was measured by gph not Lpm.

Exarmy said:
if one were to want to build a acrog screen for this, how big should it be? would a screen 3-3.5ft x 4ft work with 1400w hid?

I have never done a scrog setup before but there are quite a few people around here that have, I am sure someone will chime in. Or possibly try asking it in the Cultivation forum under advanced growing techniques. You will prolly find more answers there.

I see no reason that you could not build a screen that size. When I did mine, I just made my screen a little larger than the res.

You cannot use jiffy pots for hydro--they break down. You are either going to need something like Rapid Rooters or rockwool that does not break down.

Latest posts

Back