Auto plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks! I am back in the gardening business! I finally ran out and have started a new garden. My plants look great and are about a foot tall at this point. I have a question about auto flowers. I purchased some seeds and they sent me an automatic. I tried one before but I believe I harvested it too soon, so I want to do it right this time! Currently, I am on an 18/6 light cycle. Do autos need any special light schedule? My little girl is in full flower already:icon_smile: . Should I switch it to 12/12? The seeds were planted in Sept. so I'm not ready to put the others into flower yet.
And hey, I'm glad to be back!! It will be good to reconnect with all you guys!
Thanks for your expertise!!

I don't run them anymore but when I did I always ran my autos on 20-4 light schedule unless they were in my veg tent, in that case they were on a 24-0 schedule. I believe 20-4 is the preferred schedule. Only because there is no added bonus running the lights on the other 4 hours.

Sometimes full grown totally ready autos just look and smoke like they were taken early. In other words, don't expect the auto to be like the photoperiod as it just won't.

I'm with Hamster, the best light schedule for autos is 20/4. As a side note, the best light schedule for vegging plants is 24/7. You probably lost some size vegging the auto on a 18/6 schedule.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Sometimes full grown totally ready autos just look and smoke like they were taken early. In other words, don't expect the auto to be like the photoperiod as it just won't.

I'm with Hamster, the best light schedule for autos is 20/4. As a side note, the best light schedule for vegging plants is 24/7. You probably lost some size vegging the auto on a 18/6 schedule.

Thanks you guys again. I ended up putting it in my cloning chamber (now empty since I just restarted growing) which only had seven fluorescents in there. But I have been leaving them on 24/7. I imagine there is a sticky all about autos somewhere, but I like yakin' with all of you! That being said, another question...should I be feeding my little auto with Tiger Bloom since it's in full flower, instead of what I feed them in veg? I appreciate all your help. Even though I have two awesome grows under my belt, I still sometimes feel like a novice!:eek: Thanks!

Hamster Lewis said:
I don't run them anymore but when I did I always ran my autos on 20-4 light schedule unless they were in my veg tent, in that case they were on a 24-0 schedule. I believe 20-4 is the preferred schedule. Only because there is no added bonus running the lights on the other 4 hours.

Thanks Hamster! I put her in my cloning chamber on 24/7 fluorescents. There are seven lights in there, so hopefully it'll be OK! Thanks for the help!!

:ciao:

Welcome back to the Passion

:48:

4u2sm0ke said:
:ciao:

Welcome back to the Passion

:48:

Thanks! Glad to be back!! Been gone so long I got busted back to "junior member"!! :eek: I only grow in the winter, so I haven't been in touch with you all for a couple years as I had a surplus. But I have a good garden growing now and am glad to be back!!:D

Hi folks!
After you guys told me my auto needed 20-4 or 24 hrs of light, I moved it into my empty cloning chamber which is set up with fluorescents, and it's growing taller, but otherwise not doing much else. It's in full flower, but as old as this plant is, I would expect some bud formation by now. The seed was started in Sept.! So my next question would be should I remove the seven fluoresents and put my extra 400HPS in there instead? Would that be better at this point? Any thoughts??

thanks!!

I've run my auto for 4 weeks in veg and just popped it in the flowering tent with some other girls. It's getting 12/12, even though that's not best for autos. It's looking phenomenal and is surely an interesting plant. I don't like autos overall, but it was free, and it's a little "filler" plant really.

craterlake said:
Hi folks!
After you guys told me my auto needed 20-4 or 24 hrs of light, I moved it into my empty cloning chamber which is set up with fluorescents, and it's growing taller, but otherwise not doing much else. It's in full flower, but as old as this plant is, I would expect some bud formation by now. The seed was started in Sept.! So my next question would be should I remove the seven fluoresents and put my extra 400HPS in there instead? Would that be better at this point? Any thoughts??

thanks!!

Some autos are not stable and simply do not "auto"--they require a 12/12 schedule to flower. I would suggest a 12/12 light schedule with the HPS to see if you can induce flowering.

I ran Autos for awhile,,1st time was The original Lowryders,,was not impressed with Potency or taste. Was to me a big waste of time,,,BUTTTT,,,better then buying CRAPOLA off the streets thats for sure.
I just dont see how ya get real good Genetics Crossing Ditch Weed.To me its like crossing crappy weed with good weed,,,WHY??? I know,,it Flowers Automaticly,,,so what,,I can get Regular Weed to Flower too by Flipping. Thats like crossing an Ugly Nasty looking Dog with a Nice looking Strong Breeded Dog,,,WHY

Outdoor grows? Only benefit I can see is for outdoor grows. Unless you want to bring your OD grow inside for a few days to engage flowering? I dunno really.. I just have one filling space myself hah :D

The Hemp Goddess said:
Some autos are not stable and simply do not "auto"--they require a 12/12 schedule to flower. I would suggest a 12/12 light schedule with the HPS to see if you can induce flowering.

This plant is in full flower. It's covered with flowers, but it doesn't seem to be doing much else. It flowered and then is just sitting there looking pretty! I'm not familiar with autos. This seed was a freebie so I'm giving it a chance. Maybe it's perfectly OK and I just don't know it!! :eek: I am under the impression that they mature quickly, but I don't know how the different strains work. I will switch to the 400 and see what happens! Thanks

I beg to differ with everyone on the light schedule. People always say that 24/0 makes no difference than 20/4. Well in my experience with a stable auto that I bred, they finished over a week sooner. When the lights are on, the plants are growing. A normally 70 day auto when grown at 24/0 has an extra 4 hours per day of growth. 70 times 4 equals 280. 280/24=11.6. Thats 11.6 days of extra growth. Simple math and its worked in my grow room.

akhockey said:
I beg to differ with everyone on the light schedule. People always say that 24/0 makes no difference than 20/4. Well in my experience with a stable auto that I bred, they finished over a week sooner. When the lights are on, the plants are growing. A normally 70 day auto when grown at 24/0 has an extra 4 hours per day of growth. 70 times 4 equals 280. 280/24=11.6. Thats 11.6 days of extra growth. Simple math and its worked in my grow room.

Thanks AK! I have been leaving the lights on 24/7, but they're fluorescents though, and there are seven of them. I think it would be too hot in my cloning chamber if I put the 400 in there. So we are keeping our fingers crossed that it develops! It is certainly full of flowers, but seems to be developing slower. But I could be wrong, it's only my second auto!
thanks!

spectrum of light is important too... sure it will flower under fluorescents but not well if its not the right spectrum of light, veg bulbs arnt good for flowering.

craterlake said:
This plant is in full flower. It's covered with flowers, but it doesn't seem to be doing much else. It flowered and then is just sitting there looking pretty! I'm not familiar with autos. This seed was a freebie so I'm giving it a chance. Maybe it's perfectly OK and I just don't know it!! :eek: I am under the impression that they mature quickly, but I don't know how the different strains work. I will switch to the 400 and see what happens! Thanks

What are you feeding it? Too much N will inhibit flowering. And then there is the chance that this is just all the plant will do. I am of like mind with Weedhopper. Remember this is a regular strain of cannabis crossed with what is basically ditch weed that doesn't get you high.

You are sure it's not a male? Can you post up a pic?

Latest posts

Back