Automated mother tent watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I want something that will water my mother's if I am gone a week or few days.

Right now, mother's are in 3 or 5 gallon pots Promix media. Don't mind switching up hydro method, just something that would water/feed a precise amount dependably.

Heard about ebb and flow, bubble buckets (maybe 5 gallon size could go a week without attention? Timers and pumps, drippers etc.

I'm like sgt Shultz here, I know nothing....

Bubba

Why not a reservoir and a pump on a timer?
I thought about that. It would have to be super reliable. My grow store has those fixtures that encircles the stalk to water, connect a line to. Just need to figure out a way to make darn sure it doesn't stick on and pump all the fluid everywhere.

Timer and pump ought to work. Just have to time out how long to have it run and so forth.

I just saw in gmos motor breath 15 thread where he had his left alone for 8 days. I do have all the parts to build that thing. This would just be for mothers, but who knows.

Bubba

Well I have purchased odds and ends, pumps, timers, manifold etc . Decided to move down to basement. If there is a flood accident, that floor has a nearby drain.

Bubba

I think you or someone showed a pump, manifold and timer they bought for similar uses. I snagged the same ones to begin the party, will go from there.

Bubba

Let me know how it works. I just have my Son In Law water for me. I rarely leave for more than 3 days. Like being in jail.
Could I borrow them? I will let you know how it works. I've got another experiment to do with a 27 gallon tote, like gmo's setup.

Before I do the full on idea, I was going to try something I did before, but on a smaller scale.

Years ago I swiped some ideas from overgrow.com. shallow water culture they called it. Container was probably only a couple gallons, container about 20 inches wide, about 30 long, (approximately) with snap on top. The plants were in holes in the lid, with foam to hold in place.

Across the bottom of container were 2 bubble curtain strips, driven by aquarium pump. The idea was that at the beginning, the constant bubbling created a "mist" for a semi aeroponic action. Once the roots hit the water, it was, as gmo says, "off to the races"…......

So, I figured two things. One, biggest problem with the hydro set up like GMO is heat of solution. Pump and ambient temp from lights heats up water, must be cooled.

Two, perhaps with enough bubblers and powerful pump could I make the larger, say 27 gallon version of the old overgrow thing. Basically a bubble bucket contraption. Once the roots hit the water, off to races, right?

We'll see. If it fails, I can just duplicate the gmo setup. I figure this may cure the heat problem with any luck. If not, oh well.

Bubba

I want something that will water my mother's if I am gone a week or few days.

Right now, mother's are in 3 or 5 gallon pots Promix media. Don't mind switching up hydro method, just something that would water/feed a precise amount dependably.

Heard about ebb and flow, bubble buckets (maybe 5 gallon size could go a week without attention? Timers and pumps, drippers etc.

I'm like sgt Shultz here, I know nothing....

Bubba
Watch my next grow. I will be using an experimental automated watering system without a pump that should do what you are wanting.

Could I borrow them? I will let you know how it works. I've got another experiment to do with a 27 gallon tote, like gmo's setup.

Before I do the full on idea, I was going to try something I did before, but on a smaller scale.

Years ago I swiped some ideas from overgrow.com. shallow water culture they called it. Container was probably only a couple gallons, container about 20 inches wide, about 30 long, (approximately) with snap on top. The plants were in holes in the lid, with foam to hold in place.

Across the bottom of container were 2 bubble curtain strips, driven by aquarium pump. The idea was that at the beginning, the constant bubbling created a "mist" for a semi aeroponic action. Once the roots hit the water, it was, as gmo says, "off to the races"…......

So, I figured two things. One, biggest problem with the hydro set up like GMO is heat of solution. Pump and ambient temp from lights heats up water, must be cooled.

Two, perhaps with enough bubblers and powerful pump could I make the larger, say 27 gallon version of the old overgrow thing. Basically a bubble bucket contraption. Once the roots hit the water, off to races, right?

We'll see. If it fails, I can just duplicate the gmo setup. I figure this may cure the heat problem with any luck. If not, oh well.

Bubba
I grew six GSC Auto plants in a 27 gallon DWC last year. Air pumps were not enough to cool the water, though. I ended up getting a cooler.
1691604030926.png

Can always go the old pool noodles in pvc pipe route.

I grew six GSC Auto plants in a 27 gallon DWC last year. Air pumps were not enough to cool the water, though. I ended up getting a cooler.
View attachment 336915
I was afraid of that. I knew it would work, but was hoping the heat was from pump. So the ambient temps were raised by heat of the light?

Bubba

This sort of leaves me with the idea of remote reservoir, pump and timer plan....

Most of the stuff came yesterday, so I can get busy when I get home.

Bubba

I was afraid of that. I knew it would work, but was hoping the heat was from pump. So the ambient temps were raised by heat of the light?

Bubba
Yeah, pretty much. Not having an A/C in the room didn't help. With an 80 degree room temp they were growing okay without the cooler, but they really took off when I added it in.

Let me know how it works. I just have my Son In Law water for me. I rarely leave for more than 3 days. Like being in jail.
Ok, experimenting and have a setup for my mother tent, which gives a quart in 5 mins,
And I have 3 set to fill at same time. Only have 2 mother's right now. I was gonna have 3 adding a lemon Betty. Unfortunately those cuts did not make it. It was entirely too hot when sent, and the little things were basically like wilted spinach, leave smished. Not crushed, but "steam cooked"
I thought maybe one would make it, but not even a peep. Too darn hot 🔥

Anyhow, now I need to install this thing on a timer. With 3 gallon pots I usually water morning and night. If I watered to run off, gave tea or flushed, can skip a go.

I want this to just keep them going for slightly extended times I am away, not a day to day thing...But who knows.

My mother tent has Chrimera 3 and LA Pure Kush. Also their clones. Half way considering pushing them into the flower tent and replace with a couple of the new clones

Flower tent has the LA Pure Kush and Chrimera 3 that were my mother's ......but only for a few cuts.
Another tent just started flower, 3 LA Pure Kush.

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_190301483.jpg
    IMG_20230904_190301483.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230904_190635605_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230904_190635605_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230904_190504885.jpg
    IMG_20230904_190504885.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230904_190314743.jpg
    IMG_20230904_190314743.jpg