[B]WHAT WATTAGE HPS FOR A 2' x 3' SPACE?[/B]

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSkool

Stubborn as an ol' mule..
Reaction score
OK. OK. I get it. I'm gonna bite the bullet here...
What wattage HPS bulb can I use in a metal cabinet that measures 2' by 3' wide and deep by 6' tall. And can I use the HPS for the full grow from seed to flower...
I am not rich, I make a modest income and cannot afford both MH and HPS ballast systems.
Is a 250 watt HPS big enough for a 2x3x6 cab or should I jump up to the 400?
Both are on sale at growlightexpress.com for $50 bucks off regular price for the fixture. $149 for a setup without bulb.
What do you all think? I'm thinkin' maybe a 250? :confused:

Help out an old hippy used to fluoros!;)

A 250 would just meet the light required, the 400 would be better if you can cool it.

And yes HPS will work fine for the entire grow.

I'd lean toward the 400 also, Son T if you could afford one, but as Growdude said, cooling might be an issue depending on your ambient temp.

yes the metal..cabinet scares me when i think of heat...

be sure to test run for heat...good luck..and keep us posted

:48:

You can buy a T5 4 bulb set up for veg for 160.00 including bulbs ( see ebay ). These are cheap to run as they use little electricity.
Then you can use an hps of your choice for flowering.

T5 or HPS, they will both use about the same amount of power. The HPS will work fine for veg. I would recommend mixed spectrum: a 250W HPS plus four 25W CFLs, one in each corner. Total 350W will be fine for your space.

I already have eight four foot fluoros mounted on the walls with bulbs for both vegging and flowering. I was intersted in the HPS for increased bud girth and weight than with just the 3000k fluoros alone. I have 4 26 watt cfl's at 2700k sitting on top under a white aluminum reflector that seem to do the trick ok. Just thought it might be time to upgrade...
I was thinking of putting the 4100k bulbs back in the fluoros on the sides AND using the HPS on top for my next reveg then reverting to the hps alone for the flowering period. Sound right?

I just saw these setups with a switch that you can use MH and HPS in. Looks pretty cool. Both kinds of light for the same money (roughly).
Anyone have one of these types? Junk or good idea?

like others stated if you can cool the 400 get it if not get the 250 that should do the trick also make sure you buy a 270 watt agrosun hps bulb for max output on your 250 system

i've been using a digital ballast for over 5 years and love em.... just screw in either bulb and fire it up.... less heat to add to the environment and almost no noise.... my 600W ballast has a cooling fan so it makes a noise about as loud as one of my dogs' breathing.... my 400W ballast doesn't have a fan so it's totally silent.... the 600W does run a bit cooler due to the fan though.... either 1 runs cool enough to pick up and hold after being on for a week straight....

keep in mind too, even though it says switchable, there's no switch.... they automatically compensate to MH/HPS....

i'd say go for it! but that's just my opinion....

Thanks EastLA! I thought it was a good buy.
I couldn't tell you bro, I live in ILL. now! ;)

Latest posts

Back