Baffled! Seeking expert advise...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Lantern

new to hydro
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
First of all, I'm not a novice grower, and have never really had any problems growing in the past, despite growing indoors in less than ideal conditions (too hot, plants getting to close to the lights, miracle grow, etc...).

I've started growing again at a different location and am totally BAFFLED with as to why my plants look so unhealthy. After perfectly healthy initial growth, whether from seed or clone, soil-less mix in pots or hydroton in hydro flood&drain, organic (botanicare) or chem (Dutch Master) nutients... new growth will be a very light green/yellow, very small, wrinkled, and curls downward. Vertical growth slows way down. Not quite full sized leaves will wrinkle somewhat as they finish growing, but mature leaves remain perfectly healthy.

Here is my original thread when I first started having the problems that won't go away:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20958

I've all but ruled out a nutrient disorder. The problem has shown up on both my mother plants in pots (soilless mix w/ organic nutes), as well as closes raised in a flood & drain tray w/ completely different nutes and a different watering schedule. I use city tap water, but I doubt that's the problem as my meters read 60ppm and 6.5-6.8 pH from the tap... is there something I'm not thinking about here? I keep the pH in the 5.5-5.8 range for the hydro and 6.1-6.6 or so for the soilless mix and monitor constantly. Adding fresh nutes doesn't bring any improvement. I've done the usual flush and add fresh nutes to no avail. I usually use nutrients at 3/4 strength. In hydro, I always add nutes to a full res one nute at a time and mix thoroughly before adding another. I'd be very surprised if nutrient lock-out was the culprit. RH is 35%- 70% with an average of 50%-55%.

I feel as though it has to be a disease or something in the air. It doesn't matter what strain I'm growing. I don't see evidence of any kind that bugs are the cause. I was using an ozone generator but turned it off thinking that maybe that had something to do with it, but the problem didn't go away. The problem almost seems to move from plant to plant, starting with the plants that are closest to the door. It really doesn't look like any disease I've ever seen or read about, but I can't rule that out.

It's not because of lighting... 400w HM over a 3x3 tray in veg, moms under a 400w MH in 3 gallon buckets. Flowering moms under 600w HPS and clones in a 4x4 tray under another 600w HPS. I never let the plant get too close or too far away. The lights are in vented reflectors.

The rooms are pretty tight. Both the 8'x8' veg room and the 8'x10' flowering room have IR reflective film on the walls with rubber pond liner covering the floors. Temperature has never been over 85F (28C), or under 57F(14C), with an average of 76F (24,5C) day, and 68F (20C) at night.
The Veg room is 500 cubic feet (14.2 metres cubed) in total volume with a 250cfm exhaust fan drawing spent air though a large carbon filter. Fresh air is supplied via a 6" duct (20 feet long) coming from the outside. Flowering room is 618 cubic feet (17.5 metres cubed) with a 500cfm exhaust fan drawing spent air though another carbon filter with fresh air supplied via another 6" duct (25 feet long). There is some air leakage around the doors that I'm going to take care of shortly so the fans don't pull air from the rest of the attic. Again, plants closest to the door (in either room) get the problem first. Maybe something in the attic? I don't smell anything and work up there all the time. I thought about the ozone and turned it off, but what else? Are the plant getting enough fresh air? I'm not using CO2 (yet). I've got an oscillating fan in each room to move some air around.

I'm totally frustrated. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the problem still appears. It's been going on for 6 weeks or so.
I've never had problems in the past, and this time I was really going to do it up right and spend the money on all the cool meters, light hoods, etc... don't even ask how much I've spent on this set-up.
I've all but lost my enthusiasm for growing.

I'm still working on the LONG story of how I got to this point with more detail, but this is all the basics.

Has ANYONE seen this before? Am I missing something???????

VegNL start of damage.jpg

Veg later damage.jpg

FloweringOlderLeaves.jpg

FloweringOlderLeaves2.jpg

FloweringWS.jpg

FloweringGrowth1.jpg

FloweringGrowth2.jpg

FloweringEuforia.jpg

I appreciate it man, but I've looked at those pics at least a hundred times. The solution is the same anyway. Flush, new nutes etc...

Been there, done that.

Hey there GreenLantern,
Sorry bro, I was looking for something that might help ya with your difficulty, So what do you think you got going there ?
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

KingKahuuna said:
...So what do you think you got going there ?

I honestly have no clue. I've tryed everything I can think of, read about, or otherwise. I've had NO problems doing this in past years. This is like an episode of "House" for me... and it's not very fun.:(

Anyway, here's some new pics that show how the lower leaves are totaly fine (and will remain so) while tha newer growth starts doing its thing.

DSCN0461.JPG

DSCN0462.JPG

DSCN0463.JPG

with what you said about how you are controling all the usual factors (nutes, lights, heat, etc.)... I'm willing to bet you have an external factor that is affecting them... know what I mean?... like some kind of element that is disrupting the grow.

did u wash out all pots/equipment beforehand?... maybe there is a disease or something contaminating the grow... - don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's your fault or anything... like... maybe something got added to the resevoir that shouldn't and the system is contaminated or something? maybe something in the air?... I mean... it's GOTTA be something....

this is just a thought... just tryna help here....

ask Potus... he's a hydro guru... maybe he can help u out....

That crazy vancouver guy said:
with what you said about how you are controling all the usual factors (nutes, lights, heat, etc.)... I'm willing to bet you have an external factor that is affecting them... know what I mean?... like some kind of element that is disrupting the grow.

did u wash out all pots/equipment beforehand?... maybe there is a disease or something contaminating the grow... - don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's your fault or anything... like... maybe something got added to the resevoir that shouldn't and the system is contaminated or something? maybe something in the air?... I mean... it's GOTTA be something....

this is just a thought... just tryna help here....

ask Potus... he's a hydro guru... maybe he can help u out....

Yeah, I know what you mean... it DOES have to be something, and I am seriously obsessing about it...
It's sooo frustrating, I feel like I've tried everything... short of starting from scratch and seeing if the problem pops up again. But jeeze, I really need to figure this out, if not for the current grow but for future grows... I don't want go through this again.

let's see if we can eliminate the obvious... what kind of nutes r u using?... cuz you do know that because you are not growing in soil, you need to add all the elements required for optimal growth, eh?... when grown in soil, a lot of these elements r present in the soil, so only certain things r required to be added. if you say that starting out, everything is ok, but later on you have probs... maybe the nutes you are using r deficient in these essential elements at advanced stages of growth... just a suggestion....

let's see if we can eliminate the obvious... what kind of nutes r u using?... cuz you do know that because you are not growing in soil, you need to add all the elements required for optimal growth, eh?... when grown in soil, a lot of these elements r present in the soil, so only certain things r required to be added. if you say that starting out, everything is ok, but later on you have probs... maybe the nutes you are using r deficient in these essential elements at advanced stages of growth... just a suggestion....

Well, the plants from seed were on botanicare pure blend pro grow with some sweet and thrivealive and 10 weeks old when the perfectly healthy plant started looking bad. One by one. Very slowly. One of the older plants still really hasn't been hit by it much. It's one of the plants furthest from the door, but the branches that are affected are the branches furthest from the door.

The clones of these plants are in hydro trays in the veg room. All were started on the sames nutes as the moms, but mixed accordingly for hydro. After 2 weeks, I switched 1/2 of the clones to Dutch Master's Gold system, which is a complete system when one uses all 5 products. They stress that you add nothing else.
During weeks 3 and 4, clones under both nutrient regimines started to show the problem with the leaves. Just like the moms in the soiless mix in 3gal pots in flowering.

r u growing strictly in hydro?... it'd be interesting to see if a plant in soil is having the same probs, cuz it sounds like an external factor, like I mentioned... I don't know what to say... could also be that I'm stumpted cuz I'm getting looped, but... if I were you... I'd scrap the whole thing and start again. It'd be interesting to see if these probs occur again in both soil and hydro... maybe the directions for the nutes is too strong for the plants, too. I'd suggest to just give straight water and see if things improved, but because you are doing hydro, that is not possible.

I'm getting too blasted to help out any more tonight, non-the-less (right... as if I was helping right now anyways... lol ;) )

don't know what to say man ( or woman )... all I can suggest is to ask POTUS for help with yer probs.

sorry, friend....

r u growing strictly in hydro?... it'd be interesting to see if a plant in soil is having the same probs, cuz it sounds like an external factor, like I mentioned... I don't know what to say... could also be that I'm stumpted cuz I'm getting looped, but... if I were you... I'd scrap the whole thing and start again. It'd be interesting to see if these probs occur again in both soil and hydro... maybe the directions for the nutes is too strong for the plants, too. I'd suggest to just give straight water and see if things improved, but because you are doing hydro, that is not possible.

I'm getting too blasted to help out any more tonight, non-the-less (right... as if I was helping right now anyways... lol ;) )

don't know what to say man ( or woman )... all I can suggest is to ask POTUS for help with yer probs.

sorry, friend....
Hey, I definately appreciate it, seriously...
All of the plants are growing right now, moms from seed in pots, and clones in hydro, with 6 other clones from the same moms still in veg in hydro (new moms). Even these in veg are starting to see the problem, so yeah, the problem is universal in my set up. I need to go to bed...

night man... like I said... ask POTUS for his input... he's the guy you want to talk to... trust me.

I picked up a cheap CO2 test kit today and will be checking ppm later after the lights come on to see if they are too low.
There is some negative pressure in the rooms since they are so tight (except about the doors where there is a little bit of leakage), could this lead to any of my problems?

I am having a similar problem, in fact it may be the same. Only new growth, happens in my hydro and soil, but doesn't spread in hydro. It's like the leaves are waxy. I am baffled but having the same problem. Here's the kicker with me, I tried to flower one and it ***** so I just killed the plants with it but I would love to know what and why myself. I have had no luck and I have posted the problem at 2 other sites...no luck.

HippyInEngland said:
Are you growing in a room below soil level?
I am in a basement. I hope you can help I'm baffled and concerned.

Hey Green Lantern, it's good to meet you man. So far, everything sounds good.

You didn't mention one very important factor.

In the flood and drain system, how long is your flow cycle? How long is your drained cycle?

Also, I noticed that your plants are in individual containers within the flooding chamber. How large are those containers?

Is there any evidence of algae growth?

Latest posts

Back