baffling problem -- please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popart

Reaction score
this is my third grow -- I'm using soil (from hydro store), in a closet with flouros. I have been using ionic grow nutes for soil, mixing about half strength. My water is ph'd to 6.5. The ph of the soil is 7. I was watering about 1 qt for each plant, about 3 times a week (whenever they felt dry by sticking my finger down in the soil. I went to measure the run-off the other day and noticed there really wasn't any. So I upped the water to 2 qts. each. I have been using just ph'd water - no nutes - for last two waterings as I read it's better to do that before cloning. I cannot, for the life of me, find an answer as to why the plant is wilted. The temp is cool in the room -- about 70-75°, and I always have a fan blowing air in and another blowing air out. I'm attaching a pic of the wilted plant, and the plant next to it. They both get the same treatment, although they are both from bagseed. The only answer I can figure is maybe a Mag or Boron def??? there's no yellowing or discoloration, there are no spots, or burnt spots. Other than being very wilted, it seems very healthy, lots of new growth, although it is very wilted.

Could you have overwatered it by uping the amount to 2 qt 3 times a week?

Pics would be good!

Cheers!!!

How big are the pots? Did you add any lime for calcium and mag to the soil? Pics?

here's the pics -- first one is wilted plant, second is the one next to it

wiltplant.jpg

normlplant.jpg

I did not add anything to the soil and the pots are 3 gallon -- with proper drainage

Your attached pics didn't come through.

Wilting, as you've described it, is sometimes caused by over watering or under watering.

In my opinion, keeping the soil moist, but not wet or dry, is important.

It sounds like perhaps your soil is too wet.

When watering, in my opinion, you should water at a moderately slow speed until you get a *start* of run-off. Then stop.

The remainder of the soil will wick the moisture and even out what is there without making the soil soggy.

Make sure you have a good amount of either perlite or vermiculite in the soil to help with water wicking, water retention and oxygenation of the soil.

If your soil is too wet now, just let it be with no additional watering for a few days and the plant should perk back up.

You may want to get used to the weight of your container when it's almost dry. Heft the entire container in your hands and feel the weight. Then, after watering as I outlined above, heft it again and feel the difference in the weight.

Just heft the container each day and you'll know by it's weight if it needs water again.

Remember, what I've said is only my opinion on what may help your plants. Others may have different advice for you and you have to choose what advice you follow.

the plant has been wilted for sometime now -- It seemed to start to perk up when I upped the amt of water -- I only did that once -- and it just doesn't seem to be coming out of it. The soil is very high quality, premixed at my hydro store -- it's very light and there doesn't seem to be any run off - it wicks all the moisture.

popart said:
the plant has been wilted for sometime now -- It seemed to start to perk up when I upped the amt of water -- I only did that once -- and it just doesn't seem to be coming out of it. The soil is very high quality, premixed at my hydro store -- it's very light and there doesn't seem to be any run off - it wicks all the moisture.
When watering, have you gotten a little runoff before quiting?

If not, you may not be using enough water to fully moisten the entire volume of the container.

You may want to increase the amount of water until you do get a slight runoff.

In my opinion, those plants are large enough for you to start using a mild nutrient mix on them as well. The wilt, in my opinion, may be caused from a lack of nutrients also. Sneak up on the amount of nutrients you use. I start with one eighth of the manufacturer's suggested strength.

if there doesnt seem to be any run off is probably the problem soil is probably to wet for too long i always add a good amount of perlite to insure proper drainage if water wont run through it thats the problem a moisture meter takes all the guesswork out of it though im a diehard soil grower and when you say quality soil you dont mention the brand foxfarm works best for me good luck mate hope this helps

JUST A THOUGHT....I found this ph nutrient chart, and I'm thinking if my PH is a little high (I'm aiming for 6.5 -- but my brand new ph meter seems to suck - milwaukee ph51) maybe I have a zinc def? and what is chelated zinc and where do you get it?

ONE MORE UPDATE.... I had a few ozs of runoff water from the watering I did yesterday (the above mentioned 2 qts)...and it measured 6.3. So what exactly does that mean?

I think that they look clawed, not droopy, and too green. That is a nitrogen toxic looking plant. If they feel papery or stiff and not pliable then it would back that idea up. I'd cut back on the nutes a bit i think, or at least the nitrogen part.

I have found that if someone mentioning that you should 'back off on the nutes' makes you cringe, and you automatically want to add stuff to fix a problem, it's usually too much of something, not the other way around. Just a thought.

It looks like to little water too often. What type of soil are you using?Constantly wet soil or soil in which only the upper layers are wet frequently produces wilty plants. Watering a little at a time can lead to surface roots that dry out quickly and create poor overall root developement. Watering/feeding for most soil grows happens every four to seven days. As Stoneybud said allowing run-off is important. I Allow 10 to 30 % of total fluids to flow through. This also helps EC issues and raises air flow into the soil as water ceates suction as it flows out drain holes. Between waterings it's important for things to properly dry out also, forcing roots to chase water and expand the overall root mass. IMO you don't have a nute def. Other than the wilt the plants look good. I would adjust the watering scheduale

I haven't been giving nutes the last 3 waterings -- so the last two weeks or so have been nute-free. The soil is foxfarm I believe, it's good soil from the hydro store. It seems very dry and fluffy most of the time - it's never been fully wet on the surface - but when I stick my finger down I can feel where it's moist around the stem of the plant. It also seems my other plant is starting to do it too -- I'm really getting worried. I'd like to clone these girls.

Hello popart ! I'm just curious about your lights what can you tell us please ! i.e how many ? what type ? lumens = ? Distances = ? soft white , cool white , warm white , daylght , ????

There are so many "Cooks in the Kitchen", I'm going to step back out of it.

Good luck.

Forum ?
Definition
Public medium (such as a newspaper column) or place used for debates in which anyone can participate. In Roman times it meant a public place at the center of a market or town where open discussions on judicial, political, and other issues were held.
Similar to where we are now ! But a herbal forum ! And i'm surprised only 7 people have offered to help this poor person out !

popart said:
I haven't been giving nutes the last 3 waterings -- so the last two weeks or so have been nute-free. The soil is foxfarm I believe, it's good soil from the hydro store. It seems very dry and fluffy most of the time - it's never been fully wet on the surface - but when I stick my finger down I can feel where it's moist around the stem of the plant. It also seems my other plant is starting to do it too -- I'm really getting worried. I'd like to clone these girls.

Don't cut the nutes out for weeks, you will affect new growth. Your old growth, the top leaves, will stay the way they are. They got too much nitorgen and they will not be fixed. Just keep growing they way you have, just cut the nutes down a little, not out. Hydrostatic pressure, the 'straw' in the stems that holds water to hold the plant upright is just fine, so watering isn't the issue, the leaves are being held where they need to be, the stems are not drooping. It's the leaves that are miss-shaped, and they aren't drooping, they have a lot of their leaf margins pointing down and in, like a scoop, with a very characteristic fold down the top of some. You're fine, just cut down on the amount of nitrogen in the nutes you give, but do give some...not none.

Latest posts

Back