Best air cooled reflector???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old blue

Reaction score
Hi all, I'll be buying a 1000 watt digi from htg supply soon, and was wondering which reflector would be the best choice for heat dispersing AND light coverage? My grow area will be a walkin closet, and i'll be using a space around 4x5x9' high(growing 4 plants lst'd to make big bushes). My choices are, cooltube, Easy cool 6, or Airoflow. I'm thinking Airoflow, because it's the biggest, but not sure if it's the best. Any advise would be appreciated. Btw, it will be inlet and outlet ducted outside the grow area.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
yea,that airoflow looks like a nice hood.the bigger the better i.m.o.

Yeah, i like the looks of the airoflow(nice and big). When dealing with air cooled hoods, is it more efficient to push the air thru or pull it thru with the fan?

ya know i asked the same thing b-4 hookin up my fans/duct and everybody said its better to pull the air,rather then push it.

One more question. Is a 6" inline "duct" fan enough to just cool the light, or do u need a "vortex" style fan? I'd much rather spend $40, instead of $120. ;-)

wasup ol blue i have a easy cool 6" air cooled hood 20x24x8 .I got from htg hooked up to a 442cfm vortex fan that i run at half speed works like a charm.

buddog said:
wasup ol blue i have a easy cool 6" air cooled hood 20x24x8 .I got from htg hooked up to a 442cfm vortex fan that i run at half speed works like a charm.

Besides the price, what's the difference between that one and the airoflow, buddog? And how do u have ur fan setup(push or pull)?

Btw, if u have the easy cool 6, the dimensions are 18” long, 15” wide, 7.5” deep. With the dimensions u stated, u have the AIROFLOW, bro.

old blue as far as a hood name i dont know. But the brand name is easy cool 600 watt switchable mh+hps setup got it off ebay at a HTG store and iiiiii like it. And the fan is on the down side pulling

I have their euro hood and it is a good hood. I am not sure if that is what they are caling the easy cool 6. I have heard good things about cool tube as well, but I think they do not have as large of a reflector. You will need a 6 inche vortex style fan to cool that light efficiently. I have 2 1000w digi systems from hgt and I am cooling them with one 8 in vortex fan and I feel I could use more cfm's.

Toke, you cant find that same or better deal on e-bay?

:yeahthat:

That seems a little costy to me, too. The only advantage to that package seems to be that it is all inclusive, however the fan, pulleys, and timer are inexpensive items. I would anticipate that you are going to need more fan to cool a 1000W.

that fan is not big enough to cool an outhouse in the winter.might as well be sitting there and blowing on the duct.that,to me,is an outrageous package.jmo

ya but im buying the package more for the light system. because in looking online all of the deals ive found for a reflector, light and digital ballast have all added up to much more than that. to me it seemed like a good deal.

and i was planning on buying the 400 watt. plus im buying a 6'' vortex superfan with 449 cfm

but how much do u think i should pay all together, for a digital ballast (that can run MH and HPS) a reflector, HPS bulb, and a MH bulb, ??

TokeWithHope said:
ya but im buying the package more for the light system. because in looking online all of the deals ive found for a reflector, light and digital ballast have all added up to much more than that. to me it seemed like a good deal.

and i was planning on buying the 400 watt. plus im buying a 6'' vortex superfan with 449 cfm

but how much do u think i should pay all together, for a digital ballast (that can run MH and HPS) a reflector, HPS bulb, and a MH bulb, ??

A 400W light is not nearly enough light for 20 sq ft. The vortex fan will be adequate, but it is none too big. What is your ventilation/cooling setup? You will need more than 1 fan.

na im going to grow in a closet box deminsions 20'' -D, 28'' -W, 81''-h
a 6 inch oscillating fan blowing on the plants, and the 6'' vortex will be placed a foot above the box in the attic, sucking the air through a crobon filter then a foot of ducting then run outside through about another 10 feet of ducting

to me the higher cfm's you can get the better to cool your reflector.especially with a 1000 watter.

You could always build your own hood and there is also a DIY post about how to build your own inline fan if thats the thing you are into. Those inline booster fans they sell at hardware stores suck monkey butt.

if you are gonna run a 1000 watter you will need at least a 400+ cfm if you are going to pull thru a filter and reflector,to keep the temps down.i have went thru this helping a friend out on his setup.i have a 432cfm on my 400 watt in a 9.5 sq ft tent.and thats what it took to do it.by experience.

How ya doing Old Blue.

My 2 cents.

If $$ is an issue, ditch the digital ballast and get a regular ballast. Take the extra $$ and get yourself a good 6" Can or Vortex fan. I use a 6" can to cool 4000w with no issues. I also pull air, not push. Pushing air thru your hoods will only create leaks and "push" hot air out of those leaks. Every degree helps.

http://sunlightsupply.com/product.c...71121CBD856883B055B200D2479FE&c=23&kys=&pgi=1

I am not sure if you are able to find this hood locally, but I recommend this over all other hoods I have used. No more taping up the lenses and fittings with this hood. The lens is on a quick relese hinge with thumb screws and the lens seats on a durable gasket of foam to prevent leaks. Easy changing of bulbs and cleaning of the lens.

Bottom line, most hoods are pretty equal as far as "coverage". I don't really think one is better then the other as far as light dispersment. But there are differences in ease of use and small features.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back