Best size smart pot for 2'x4'x5'10" grow tent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrenc Smith

Reaction score
I am growing in a 2'x4'x5'10" grow tent. What is generally the best size smart pot for this size tent? I have completed two grow operations with 3 plants, each in 5-gallon soft pots.
I am considering trying to grow five plants in 3-gallon smart pots.
I've read that 3 and 5 are the most common size used.
When I did my first grow I was thrilled that I was growing plants and forgot that the sky...was... the limit-in a tent! They suffered nutrient burn because they grew too close to the lights, and went hermie. The second grow was done with low-stress training and the distance from the lights was maintained. I was thinking I could use the 3-gallon smart pots with low-stress training and get a similar or better yield from five plants while having better control over the height of the plants.
So, what are your thoughts-3-gallon smart pots or 5-gallon smart pots for a 2'x4'x5'10" grow tent?

I would grow no more than 4 plants in a 2 by 4 tent, no matter the size of the pot. Personally, I have a 2 by 4 myself and find I get the best yield from two plants in 5 gallons with good canopy management.

I would grow no more than 4 plants in a 2 by 4 tent, no matter the size of the pot. Personally, I have a 2 by 4 myself and find I get the best yield from two plants in 5 gallons with good canopy management.
That makes sense. I can see where I will get a better light application on the sides of the plants with only two in the tent, increase the yield and manage the height better. it will make cleaning up the runoff water from the smart pots easier. I don't like to let them sit in standing water, although I've read where some let it soak back up into the smart pot. It did get crowded with three plants. I have five feminized White Widow seeds and I can reserve three seeds for my future grows.
Thank you very much. Great advice!

Latest posts

Back