bigger branches better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENIE_420

Reaction score
A question.... When cloning is it better to take cuttings that are thicker? For instance, the very bottom branches are smaller and thinner than the next ones up. The bottom ones are about 4-6 inches long, the next ones up are 6-9 inches long, and almost as thick as a pencil. The branches below are about half as thick. This second set is still considerably low on the plant.

i start from the bottom and work my way up. they say the oldest growth is the best to use for cloning, being that it has more carbs built up in them

I take cuts from all over the plant. When I remove the bottom 1/4 before I flip I use some of those branches for clones. When I top, I use the top for a clone. Sometimes I will take a cut or two from the middle of the plant, depending on how dense she is. Jmo

I also clone the bottom branches that I cut before the flip. I don't have room to keep mother plants.

ShOrTbUs said:
i start from the bottom and work my way up. they say the oldest growth is the best to use for cloning, being that it has more carbs built up in them
ive had a better success rate taking them from the bottom,guess i know why now

regardless of where you take the cuttings, it is important to not get ones that are too thick and "woody" as that will make it harder for them to push roots through the hard outer flesh of the stem. The roots are actually extensions of the inner hurd(the soft white part). Also, it is my understanding that the higher the stems are on the plant, the more vegetative growth hormones are present which also makes it more difficult to switch the cutting over to growing roots. The lower "tertiary" stems have less vegetative hormones and will switch over to rooting faster. :)

Hushpuppy said:
regardless of where you take the cuttings, it is important to not get ones that are too thick and "woody" as that will make it harder for them to push roots through the hard outer flesh of the stem. The roots are actually extensions of the inner hurd(the soft white part). Also, it is my understanding that the higher the stems are on the plant, the more vegetative growth hormones are present which also makes it more difficult to switch the cutting over to growing roots. The lower "tertiary" stems have less vegetative hormones and will switch over to rooting faster. :)

Nice I just learned something new. I read in a book about lower older growth having built up carbohydrates that helps with the rooting process.

I always found the soft small limbs are best and easiest to root. I have tried both.

i have cloned a **** load of clones in my time and found Taking clones is best planed week ahead meaning just give plants water, taking tops or main shoots rooting will be longer

Latest posts

Back