Black Light for heat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCre8or

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about an incandescent black light in the bottom of a small grow box to provide heat?

I wasn't planning on building a grow box, just sticking her in the corner of my crawl space, but I went down there the other day to assess the situation, and it smells of mildew. There is much more moitsure in there than I thought. This might change with the coming cold season, but I don't want to risk it.

So I'm building a small grow box that will sit in the crawl space. The floor of the box will be open with a furnace filterbelow the open floor. This way I can have plenty of ventilation, but filter out the mold spores etc. The floor of the box will sit on 1x4 length wise, so it will be 4 inches off the floor. I plan on cutting a hole in the top corner of the box just to have a small TrueAir odor eliminator sitting there. I figure that can serve as an exhaust fan as well. I'm not worried about light leaks, becuase this crawls space is dark as it is.

Since it's just a bit cooler down there than in the house, I though it would be good to provide some heat. Room/Space heaters will probably just too hot for the small space (probably 20x20X40 inches.) So I was thinking an incandescent bulb might provide just the right amount of heat. If I put it at the bottom of the box, opposite the exhaust fan at the top, the heat would be drawn across the box.

Will the black light effect my 12/12 lighting schedule?
Any thoughts?

Thanks again everyone!!

I wouldn't think it would affect the 12/12 as long as it's not shinning directly on it.. almost how a moon shines I suppose.
I wouldn't recommend using for heat, a normal light bulb or two does the trick.

The normal light bulb is dim enough not to effect 12/12?

weh weh.. sorry about that.. for the on time it will produce heat, you might try to use the blacklight on the 12 off. but I'm not sure how much of an affect it would have.
try it. can't hurt.

I figured if its at the bottom of the box, the plant won't really get direct light, and since its a black light, it won't be in the spectrum the plant would respond to. Just hoping to see if anyone has tried it.

Athough, maybe the regular incandescent durring the on cycle will provide enough heat. It's not like it will be freezing in the crawl space. Probably in the upper 60's to low 70's. So the 12 off won't get super cold.

Maybe I'll just do that.

my room temp stays at around 75. 65 seems pretty cold to me, unless you have a strain that's consistent with northern latitudes, it might slow the growth rate down. drop below 60, and you might wake up and every thing's gone, definably keep an eye on it, and do what you can.
good luck to ya man. I'm having troubles too, so I'm in there with ya.

I would not put a blacklight in the 12/12 flower room, it might be the wrong spectrum but im sure you dont want to do it.

Ive heard you can use a green bulb, but others still say stay away from them.

Me, I want total darkness, a small electric heater with a thermostat will work better for heat anyway.

MY convern is those little heaters will be to hot for my small grow box. Maybe I'll try a lizard rock heater.

Not sure what a lizard rock heater is..

You could try a tray filled with water, and a small aquarium heater. It works best if you insulated the tray on all sides except for up. If you do it this way, make sure to check the water level regularly, or you might have a small fire on your hands. This has worked excellently for my non-mj related incubator.

i asked the forum the other day about cold temps coming at the same time i'm into flowering stage.
the best solution i got is to get a small heater and seperate thermostat. regulate it a couple days closely. once you have the temps right you're good to go. start out warm, not hot. move the temps warmer if needed, not hot to cooler. thats asking for trouble. good luck.

That's not a bad idea.

A lizard rock heater is a lttle heater that looks like a rock. You use them to keep lizards (cold blooded) warm. There made to be inside their terranium. I suppose it would have a similar effect as your water tray. The water tray would also provide some humidity, which could be good or bad. Hmm...
thanks for the tip.

I think I'm sticking with the Lizard rock

Any other thoughts anyone?

I didn't see your post bunkin. Cam on at the same time as mine I guess.

Seperate thermostat? Plugs into AC like a timer, right? That's a good idea. I dont' trust the thermostats on those little heaters. I've used them before and they always seem to have really only 3 settings. Warm, HOt, and OH MY GOD. A seperate one might be more reliable. Maybe I'll try that.

Thanks
D

Latest posts

Back