boiled peanuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loolagigi

UP UP AND AWAY!
Reaction score
hey everyone. i was born in the south, then moved north for about 20 years..then back south!..never had a boiled peanut until i was in georgia. it was cajun style and they were to die for. i couldnt stop eating them. im going to make some tonight in a crock pot. does anyone have a recipe, or and special lil secrets for awesome boiled peanuts? gatta get my peanut fix....damn they are so good!

well, i found a recipe. baught 2 lbs of peanuts and some crab and shrimp spicy seasoning. only thing else you need is salt..sorry about the soy sauce in the photo, that was if i used a diff recipe......heres the recipe im ganna follow...!!!!!!!!

These Cajun boiled peanuts are a deliciously spicy spin on traditional boiled peanuts. This recipe simmers the peanuts gently in a spicy, salty mixture for 24 hours to allow the flavors time to develop. The slow cooking time means that the peanuts will be as soft and tender as they should be. Whether you're making them for a party or just to snack on at home, these hot and spicy treats are sure to satisfy.
Difficulty: EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:
1 pound of peanuts in the shell
1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
1 package (3 oz.) dry crab boil
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup red pepper flakes
Slow cooker
Step 1Rinse the unshelled peanuts in cool water until the water runs clear. Soak the peanuts for about 30 minutes in fresh, cold water.

Step 2Place the rinsed peanuts, jalapeno peppers, garlic powder, crab boil, salt, red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning into your slow cooker.

Step 3Fill the slow cooker with cold water to about an inch above the peanuts.

Step 4Cover the slow cooker and turn it on low. The peanuts will need to cook for at least 24 hours.

Step 5Check the peanuts every few hours. Add more water if necessary, and stir gently to keep the peanuts from sticking to the sides. It's okay to go to sleep while the peanuts are cooking--just check them before you go to bed and as soon as you wake up.

Step 6Scoop out a few peanuts after 24 hours to check for doneness. It should slip easily out of the shell and feel soft between your fingers. If the peanuts are too hard, add more water and allow them to keep cooking, checking every few hours.

Step 7Drain peanuts and serve. These are best when served fresh and warm, but can be refrigerated for up to a week.

images.jpg

2010 024.jpg

2010 025.jpg

never even heard of them...sounds interesting..

Oh MMMMmmmMMMM my mouth is watering. I love boiled peanuts. I have gotta have a paper bag full every time I'm in Florida. I came home from vacation one time and tried to do a crockpot full and they just didn't turn out right. I'd love to give them a try again if your recipe turns out the way you want it too. For the time being, when I can find them, I go for canned boiled peanuts. Pretty dang close to the real deal.

g206.jpg

gmo said:
Oh MMMMmmmMMMM my mouth is watering. I love boiled peanuts. I have gotta have a paper bag full every time I'm in Florida. I came home from vacation one time and tried to do a crockpot full and they just didn't turn out right. I'd love to give them a try again if your recipe turns out the way you want it too. For the time being, when I can find them, I go for canned boiled peanuts. Pretty dang close to the real deal.
might just have to try them bad boys.....yeah, theres nothing like good boiled peanuts.

Question loola! We have a 5 lb bag of fresh peanuts in the freezer. Can I just use your recipe on them or do I need to roast them first? Yumm, cajun peanuts :hubba:

ArtVandolay said:
Question loola! We have a 5 lb bag of fresh peanuts in the freezer. Can I just use your recipe on them or do I need to roast them first? Yumm, cajun peanuts :hubba:
clean them in water and let them soak in water for a hour....2 lbs works in a regular sized crock pot. i tried some of mine....there still a little crunchy...still have about 4 hours or more of cooking.

ArtVandolay said:

Art, when you say fresh, do you mean green?

Peanuts come green (straight from the field and somewhat soft), dried but raw, or roasted (you can't rehydrate roasted peanuts).

Boiled peanuts are best when prepared from green peanuts. They are fairly expensive in the grocery though.

I grew up in Georgia and I wouldn't eat a rehydrated peanut. But to each his own.

Yes, Georgia, so, yes, I am a boiled peanut expert. And a collard green expert. And a hushpuppies expert. But I have switched from ham-hocks to smoked turkey wings for flavoring veggies, and my heart valves thank me for it.

yes art raw peanuts are called green peanuts, has nothing to do with the color. i tried another one, and the salt and heat are finally being absorbed by the peanuts....still slightly hard though...few more hours...

Never heard of them untill I moved to Florida. Couldnt bring myself to eatem. When I eat a penut,,I want it to be crunchy.

WH, i felt the same...for a short time i worked at a local gas station that had them regular and cajun...i used to watch people fill large cups full of them and think,"how gross", thats until i tried them..BEWARE OF OLD PEANUTS.

loolagigi said:
WH, i felt the same...for a short time i worked at a local gas station that had them regular and cajun...i used to watch people fill large cups full of them and think,"how gross", thats until i tried them..BEWARE OF OLD PEANUTS.

Ill givem a try the next time Im to drunk to know the difference. Kinda like I did Oysters.:D

PencilHead said:
Art, when you say fresh, do you mean green?

Peanuts come green (straight from the field and somewhat soft), dried but raw, or roasted (you can't rehydrate roasted peanuts).

Boiled peanuts are best when prepared from green peanuts. They are fairly expensive in the grocery though.

I grew up in Georgia and I wouldn't eat a rehydrated peanut. But to each his own.

Yes, Georgia, so, yes, I am a boiled peanut expert. And a collard green expert. And a hushpuppies expert. But I have switched from ham-hocks to smoked turkey wings for flavoring veggies, and my heart valves thank me for it.

Given the choices, they're either green or dried and raw. Many still have that husk stuff still on them. I think Tifton, GA is the peanut capital of the world :D. I don't know why I know such things, though :hubba:. You forgot blackeyed peas :)

OMG, if yall have not had Southern boiled peanuts you dont know what you are missing but to be any good they have to be cooked by an old drunk who sells them with a hand painted sign on the side of the highway. I would like to plant peanuts but I dont have enough land to make a good cash crop.

Ahhh, there's nothing more addictive than boiled peanuts. Love 'em totally! I have a bag of raw peanuts in the fridge just waiting to be cooked up. Problem is once I start eating them, I can't stop....

well i had to cook them for about 36 hours on low in the crock pot....i added some more salt, and spice throught the cooking. i cant describe how juicy and tasty these peanuts are. they still have a texture, they are not mushy. just not crunchy. when i grab one i crack it a little and suck the spicy/salty jouce out, then crack the peanut open to munch on the nuts. they are my favorite. the peanut taste is gone....you gatta try these babies, i promise you wont put them down....Loola

2010 026.jpg

Latest posts

Back