Boo's world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember those good O'l days.....so do my ears. Ruined them, got permanent hearing damage from drag racing. Can you say....WHAT.
Ever attend an Indy Car race? Loudest race cars I ever heard. Couldnt sit in stands without earplugs. Old open exhaust 426 Hemi, L88 427, etc do not hold a candle to the racket an Indy car generates.

WHAT?
Bubba

Spark plugs drilled and tapped into the exhaust tips
View attachment 276464
We would get giant fire flash (invisible in daylight however) popping out of the top of the dual carb tunnel ram manifolds, when motor would backfire through intake idling. "We didnt need no stinking air cleaners"

bubba

For some reason, men like loud things. If a car is involved, so much the better. Now we have locomotion added to the bill.
Now, if it catches on fire or explodes it becomes very interesting. Guitars, fireworks, firearms, engine exhaust....car or motorcycle, all good clean American fun!

Was it original motor/? I never saw an SS with the 250 HP, but that said, this was a day when many people ordered them as they wanted, so a lot of combinations are out there. Saw lots of 300 HP 327 back then also. That was the motor I liked to start with. If you still have it, on the front of the head, does it have the double hump casting mark, ot the rectangular mark with a triangle shaped point in the middle? The 300 HP and 350 HP (as well as the 375 fulie motor) had the double hump.

Never know what is out there. Dealers specializing in High Performance like Motion, who ordered factory cars like Phase 3 427 Camaros and so forth. Yenko was another...well, something close to Yenko. Those cars are now worth a fortune. I remember latching onto a rare 302 Z28....1967. Everyone told me it didn't exist, and the badging was just put on. Nope, there actually are a few.....if you knew the right dealer and checked the right options.

Another thing, is the car companies played insurance companies on HP ratings. If you disassembled that 250 HP motor, it very well may have the same bill of materials as the 300 HP. There were also solid lifter vs hydraulic lifter versions also. How many scrap yards we poured through.
69 Roadrunners, Chargers and so forth could be had used for next to nothing. I remember a common phrase back then, "Any Corvette that runs is worth $1000" now maybe the wheels!

In the 70's, my friend bought a 1957 Corvette convertible, 283 small block with dual 4 barrel Cater WCFB carbs, removable hardtop, Wonder bar radio and all, perfect condition for 1800 bucks. Some guy ran a stop and dented up a front corner, he thought he made out like a bandit as the insurance company gave him 2200! PPPFFFFTTTTtttt. You could offer that car for 75 grand and have fist fights in your yard over it.

Bubba
Had a '57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop with that same 2/4 barrel setup. A factory hotrod.

this is one of the rides that has been keeping me busy...super clean 60 impala sport coupe with a big block and 4 speed...
IMG_0555.JPG

the cola is lemon taffy, in the pic yoda pineapple is front left, the two in back are lemon taffy and the flower peeking in on the right is indeed red cheeze...I've had her for years...

Latest posts

Back