bud lock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
i am in my 7th week of flower. overall, things appear good. problem is, buds have stopped growing the last 10 days or so. they reached their typical od dia., from 2-3 inches (diameter) and vary in length. the hairs are all still white on most plants. a few have 20% red hairs. judging by this, it looks about 3 weeks from finish, maybe a little more. i was thinking about a double flush. an hour apart, next water. will try SLEDGEHAMMER w/ my flush. i'm thinking i may have a nute lock of some sort. any thoughts, PLEASE..

2-3 inch diameter is a very big bud I think you should go with the flush and see what happens.

any chance you can post a pick and share what that awsome sounding bud looks like

The color of the hairs have absolutely nothing to do with whether a plant is ready or not. The only way to tell if a plant is ready is to check the trichs with a 30x or better microscope or loupe. Do not take them 3 weeks early. They are probably working on building up trichs now.

I don't recommend flushing unless you have a nute toxicity problem or a salt build up. There is no reason to a final flush, I have never found it to be beneficial, and I cannot taste the difference between bud that is flushed or not flushed, but there is often a difference in bud size. IMO, plants need food up until the end of their grow cycle. Would you fast before a marathon?

Why do you believe that you have a nute lock.

hi thg, thanks for your responce. the flush was recommended by the owner of the grow store near me. i told him about my buds stopped growing and i did not understand why. i know trics are the only sure way to know when it's harvest. i did read at some point, that when your hairs turn completely red, your buds are getting close. it's time to start regular checks on trics. the buds stopped growing for the last 10 days or so. the buds before the lockup were consistently piling up and diameter was steadily growing as well. i have been feeding fairly heavy and thought nute lockup was a strong possibility. the buds now are the same size i always wind up w/ od. i do have more time to work w/ now. outdoors, i always have had to harvest as soon as all red hairs appear. too soon i know, but it's always the start of our rainy season. almost every day. budrot is rampant then. i thought i would not loose anytime, as it is watering time anyway. i would just be doing a double water w/ SLEDGEHAMMER, an hour apart. then 3 days later back to reg. feed. no lost time. suggested by grow store guy.??

Like THG said, it's not necessary to flush at all. Feed em til they're ready. Keep an eye on the trichs, when they cloud up they're ready. It has no bearing on the color of the pistils. It's the color of the trichs that matters. If you like em a lil amber then so be it! Just be patient. The buds normally stop increasing in size just before harvest, it's completely normal

I find that with some strains, in fact the strain I am just getting ready to harvest did that, but during the time I thought they were doing nothing, the buds were filling up inside making them rock hard and much heavier. Other strains it seems the bud grows more at the same pace. What do you guys think?

Newbietoo said:
hi thg, thanks for your responce. the flush was recommended by the owner of the grow store near me. i told him about my buds stopped growing and i did not understand why. i know trics are the only sure way to know when it's harvest. i did read at some point, that when your hairs turn completely red, your buds are getting close. it's time to start regular checks on trics. the buds stopped growing for the last 10 days or so. the buds before the lockup were consistently piling up and diameter was steadily growing as well. i have been feeding fairly heavy and thought nute lockup was a strong possibility. the buds now are the same size i always wind up w/ od. i do have more time to work w/ now. outdoors, i always have had to harvest as soon as all red hairs appear. too soon i know, but it's always the start of our rainy season. almost every day. budrot is rampant then. i thought i would not loose anytime, as it is watering time anyway. i would just be doing a double water w/ SLEDGEHAMMER, an hour apart. then 3 days later back to reg. feed. no lost time. suggested by grow store guy.??

I don't know where you read that when the hairs turn red you are close, but it simply is not true. The hairs can turn red for a variety of reasons way way before they are ready for harvest.

Unless your pH is off, I don't see how you could have a nute lockout. In addition, nute lockout will present itself in different ways. Buds not getting bigger is not a sign of nute lockout. I wonder how much your grow store guy really knows....

Just because a guy at a grow store tells you need something doesn't mean you do. They are trying to sell things. I would not flush. You have 3 weeks to go. Just because the buds do not seem to be getting bigger around does not mean that they have quit growing. Just keep doing things as normal.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't know where you read that when the hairs turn red you are close, but it simply is not true. The hairs can turn red for a variety of reasons way way before they are ready for harvest.

Grow books THG or vids. I know jeorge Cervantes mentions it alot in his vids. That its the way the plant shows its becoming "ripe" ready for flower. Like corn n other plants.

But like u stated it can be caused by many reasons. And as u know. I have a critical jack that is ready but the pistils are all white. Trichs said chop me but pistils are as white as snow.

Like trex said just cuz u can't see the growth don't mean it ain't happening.
I will refer back to the cj same as trex she filled in nice big plump n stopped but the nugs are solid. N 1-2 wks ago they weren't. But they haven't gotten "bigger" in length or diameter.
Like THG stated if you had nute lock out other signs would be aperent first.
LH

The plant has reached its optimal growth, ignore the pistils, check the trichomes, many plants go silent while in fact they are procuring maturity, simple size means nothing, it is the power of the tip that is important, ask Granny, she will tell you all about it.

:peace:

all right, i'm convinced. no flush. flushing is so controversial.

thg, grow store guy sold me nothing, last trip anyway. he GAVE me a 4 oz. sample size of SLEDGEHAMMER to try. he said whenever he has issues, he will flush in lieu of watering. no lost time. i convinced him, i had an issue. sorry for questioning.

lefthand, i own j. cervantes videos. will watch again. it's been a while. the last 4 years, growing od, my hairs have ALWAYS turned orange/brown pre-harvest. grown maybe 20-25 types of high thc, indicas. these are so white, they may never turn as you have suggested. will let you know.

T-rex, some of my larger buds started falling over 2-3 days ago. maybe growing INSIDE, as you said!

hibrix, THANKS!

slowly learning. i see indoor pics. of buds 3-4 in. in dia. get frustrated not being able to achieve this.

Only thing I have to say bout him. Jeorge. I'd he's a goof. Lol. Alot of them vids books n what not like from Ed are good starters. N guidelines.
This cj is my first to be like this n I've asked almost everyone I know. Like you I'm in the 25-35 dif strains n this one caught me off guard. But when she's dry pistils will be brown. Red.

I've noticed alot on the flushing from stores as well. IMHO nute lock out or after all methods are exhausted flush then.
But to look n say flush something's wrong. Buddy shouldn't say squat I unless he can see the plant. Who knows ur thoughts on nute lock could be opposite n want more good. Or just a sole adjustment of ph.
Your plants will tell u if they need a flush.

LH.

No problem questioning. I just don't trust a lot of grow store people. Most of them really don't know much about growing and push way more additives and stuff like that on people that they don't need. Any time you flush and deprive them of food you are most likely going to lose time. It is also a mistake to cop-out and simply flush every time you have an issue. You need to discover what is causing the issues and deal with the issue. Flushing and then doing the same thing without addressing the initial thing that caused the issue will ultimately prove counterproductive. Not trying to be a hardass here. I am just trying to give you the best advise I can.

The problem with trying to go by the pistils is that they can turn red for many reasons not related to ripeness. So what I am saying is that even if the hairs are red, it may or may not be time to harvest. Because they do not show anything definitive like the trichs, it is really a mistake to associate the red pistils with a ripe plant.

Not all strains will yield 3-4" colas. A lot of it is strain related. Don't worry about trying to "keep up with the Jones". Just improve your own grow every time, increase your knowledge, get everything dialed in well, and be the best grower YOU can be.

Your plants will tell u if they need a flush.

LH.[/quote]

How will they tell me?? My pH is always 6.3- 6.5 in. 6.2-6.4 going out..
I watched jc id video again. He commented that on id grows, "YOU WILL HAVE 4-5 WEEKS OF RAPID BUD GROWTH BEFORE BUDS LEVELOFF". That's just what happened to me. I thought something was wrong. He also said "IDEAL temps were 72-76 degrees. If not in this range, it would cost you ounces of bud." my temps range from 76-86 deg.?? Continued to state, "measure soil temps, if over 75 degrees you may have fungus problems, rot and insects.?? I need to check this, probably over 75 deg. sounds pretty importment to keep temps in line.??? THANKS

Okay, first of all, getting out the the 72-76 temperature range is NOT going to cost you ounces of bud. That is a ridiculous statement. Your best temperature range is going to be from 60 to 80. If you get out of that range, it is going to cost you, but not ounces on each plant. I wonder sometimes if these guys that write these books actually grow. Remember that Jorge's videos/books are just one person's opinion and they shouldn't carry any more weight than long-time successful growers on any forum.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Okay, first of all, getting out the the 72-76 temperature range is NOT going to cost you ounces of bud. That is a ridiculous statement. Your best temperature range is going to be from 60 to 80. If you get out of that range, it is going to cost you, but not ounces on each plant. I wonder sometimes if these guys that write these books actually grow. Remember that Jorge's videos/books are just one person's opinion and they shouldn't carry any more weight than long-time successful growers on any forum.

damn, you're cold girl. i think he meant per tent or grow room. also 76 - 80 degrees is not much of a discrepancy. think he is making a point more than giving an exact temp guideline. don't worry, be happy. thank you for your imputs htg.:) :) i feel myself getting grumpier w/ age and less patient w/ others.

Not cold, just realistic, pragmaqtic, and somewhat blunt in my old age

There are tons and tons of things that can cause a couple of ounces loss per tent or grow. Depending on how many plants you have, that may be only a few grams per plant. But, regardless, I don't buy that temps within 72-76 are going to really product any more than when temps are kept within 60-80. In the winter, my closet naturally stays within those temperatures. I can say with some certainty that I do not necessarily have better yields in the winter than in the summer. And in the summer, sometimes the temps creep up into the mid 80s. It is tough to keep a space cool when it gets over 100 outside.

While you may think I am grumpy, my only concern is helping you have a successful grow. Any time you want me to stop posting in your threads, let me know and I will.

It's all about growing :48:

The Hemp Goddess said:
Not cold, just realistic, pragmaqtic, and somewhat blunt in my old age

There are tons and tons of things that can cause a couple of ounces loss per tent or grow. Depending on how many plants you have, that may be only a few grams per plant. But, regardless, I don't buy that temps within 72-76 are going to really product any more than when temps are kept within 60-80. In the winter, my closet naturally stays within those temperatures. I can say with some certainty that I do not necessarily have better yields in the winter than in the summer. And in the summer, sometimes the temps creep up into the mid 80s. It is tough to keep a space cool when it gets over 100 outside.

While you may think I am grumpy, my only concern is helping you have a successful grow. Any time you want me to stop posting in your threads, let me know and I will.

whew... did not mean to offend.. sorry.

Well, likewise, I didn't mean to offend you (I hate to be called cold and grumpy as I really am not).

All I'm really trying to say is that people like Ed or Jorge or Green that have written books do not really have any more insights or knowledge than anyone who has been growing and studying about growing for a number of years--they just wrote books. Each is simply 1 individual with their own ideas, so take it like you would any post that someone does here. In fact, I would guess that as these guys got into writing that they got out of growing and there are many here who have grown and experimented more. Just take it all with a grain of salt and question things like you would here. I have never read that getting out of the "72-76 degree range can cost you ounces" claim by anyone else before and real life experience does not bear this out.

Latest posts

Back