Budget greenhouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
I decided to see how easy and cheap it could be to build a greenhouse.
The criteria were:
1. Components available pretty well everywhere.
2. Cheap parts.
3. Quick to build with minimum tools.
4. Design life 2-3 years (outer skin), 8 years (frame) minimum.

For my purpose I had a convenient south-facing white wall, so I built a lean-to.
Materials so far:

1/2" PVC white cold water pipe and glue.
joints: T, X, elbow, corner elbow, etc.
2 end caps
screws and wall plugs
2 x 3/4 metal pipe clamps
heavy plastic sheet
3 ground anchors (I made these by cutting up some copper pipe and hammering it into shape)

I'm building the skeleton at the moment and when I am finished I'll document the parts and cost. Mine is built using 3 m tubes, it is plenty high enough to walk in, (6ft 4" in height) and about 6 ft wide. Length is optional so I made mine 7 ft long. I figure that 7 or 8 good sized plants could fit in and go to 6ft if necessary.
You could even build a dome. 45 deg. joints to make the top, 8 poles, the dome would be say 7 ft in the centre and about 12ft wide. Cost probably about $200 for a dome. Mine is coming out around $50 by the look of it.
I'm going to drape it with 40% shade cloth to protect against the fierce sun and also give a little camo . .

I made an 18" high "tray" in mine out of pvc wrapped in plastic. It is about 2 inches shorter than the grow tent (or greenhouse) so that air sucks up from the side bottom and hot air blows out other side top. It works well since hot air rises and cool air from the bottom pushes the hot air to the top and helps keep it cool.

Thanks for the input! I hope to be buying a new camera in a couple of weeks so I will document the build.
I'll mount shelving on the wall for growing seedlings, lettuce etc.
Quite amusing building this . . . lots of fun!

Update:

It has been cold and rainy today, and the temporary fix-up began to show problems that I need to overcome.
First and worst, the part of the roof at the wall - the very top - is pretty much horizontal. The water pools in the plastic and collects until the pools in each panel are heavy enough to seriously increase the weight loading to the point where, if combined with storm winds, could easily induce a complete collapse.

Recommended change in specifications: Change the 1/2 PVC to 3/4 PVC, structurally stronger.

My work-arounds: I will install two tension stays from the wall above using 300 lb test stainless braided steel cable. Secondly, I bought some 3/4 and joints and adapter fittings to go from 1/2 to 3/4, like for instance a T where the two inline joints are 3/4 with a vertical for 1/2. I'll use that to make a vertical support at each end, suitably braced of course. And the one at the door end will be the door frame vertical.
Oh, and to fix the pooling problem (mainly) I will cross-wire each panel with 18G steel wire. I think that should work.

I should have a camera soon to photograph the frame and stages of construction.

Indoors:

I covered most of the top with some leftover plastic sheet, and about 2/3 of one end. Even that, and with one end open, is a noticeable improvement on the outside. However on a sunny day when the temp outside was 17C, inside the greenhouse it was 27 and that was with the whole end open and holes everywhere else.
I moved the clones in with the tomatoes and all the plants loved the environment.

Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures Chung Lee Chung Lee errrr sorry wrong chant.

Leafminer,

If you haven't already done so, please go look at the portable garages that use tarp like roofs. They minimizing pooling by not having any cross bracing that the plastic can sag and touch. That results in each bay between the roof rafter structures becoming an open ended trough or gutter that the water can run from the top all the way down to the edge with it always being lower the farther away from the top of the greenhouse.

If you need me to I'll try to get some pictures for you.

Do you get much snow where you are, because if you do, that is just about going to keep you from using plastic sheeting year around?

Actually I would recommend using at least 3/4" or even better 1" PVC pipe through out your green house. The structural integrity will be well worth the added cost, especially if you get any significant winds. The wind load can easily exceed most snow loads.

You will probably need to make some provisions for ventilating it too because the sun induced heat load will be astronomical.

You're doing fine. Keep on going because you've got the right idea if I understand what you are trying to do.

Good smoking.

I have a greenhouse I made from a portable/temporary garage. It works great.I have mine set in a raised bed made of 2x12s. I clamped the legs of the garage to the 2x12s so in high winds it wouldn't blow away. The covering I use is 6mil plastic, draped over the top and stapled to the 2x12s. I don't know how long it lasts but mine currently has 8 inches of snow on it and it's doing just fine.
For ventilation I use 2 small desk fans, 1 at each end, at the roof peak.
As far as access I have a door at each end thats made of the same 6mil plastic with zippers for easy opening and closing.
Best of luck with your project. I'll be watching, maybe I'll pick up an improvement or two for my greenhouse grow.

Sounds cool, Cubby.
I get the idea of the continuous trough approach. However mine's all glued together anyway . . . however I have a solution I think.
I'm going to cover the flat top part with chicken wire before laying the heavy duty polythene on top. The wire will support the poly and minimise pooling.

Did more work today; I installed 1" verticals at both ends, to make the closed end and basis for a door. Actually I might mount a wooden frame on the wall using conventional hinges, with chicken wire to reinforce it and then covered in plastic.

I wish I had used larger diameter tube. However, ground stakes, wall clamps, and a pair of stainless steel top stays should give it enough resistance I think.

The winter tomatoes are doing well - five toms on them, now. I think a greenhouse can transform my winter gardening. Indicas could flower naturally, no electric bill for lighting. Use the grow room instead to bring along sativas for the summer->autumn grow. What do you think?

Hey Leaf,
When are we gonna' see some pics? I like the idea of a lean-to green house. I'm considdering going that way in the spring. It would go against the south facing house wall. This would really be cool because in the summer I could open my kithen windows and enjoy the plants.
Have you had or considdered the problem with condensation at the ridge, against the house. My house is stucco so even if any thing like mildew/mold were to appear I could kill it with a power washer.
We must think alike, I have chicken wire over my frame to support the winter snow load. So far so good. It's withstood 2 snow storms here already one 6in, and one 9in, so I at least know I'm getting the hang of greenhouse growing.
I have found so far, as you probably will, that the convenience and flexability offered by having a natural light garden can't be beat. I start my plants in a ebb/flow set up till the weather warms to the 40's then start hardening them off. Then transfer them to 5 gallon buckets so I can put them out in the yard and grow my veggies in the greenhouse space. If I left my plants in the greenhouse all season I would still plant them in pots just for the ability to move them if someones comming around I'd rather not see them.
So far I have only grown Indicas in my greenhouse. 5 plants, each in a 5 gallon bucket produced 26 quart mason jars of dried and cured bud.I'm gonna have to try a Sativia this season.
I think maybe this season Ill try a little greenhouse experiment. I'll start a bunch of clones, put them in the greenhouse, set my grow closet to 12/12 and rotate the plants from the greenhouse thru the flowering cycle. There's probably enough of a natural light season to bring in 3 crops under my HPS and one totally natural, finnishing off in the greenhouse.
I'll be looking forward to see how you do. Hopefully I can pick up some tips, tricks, and knowledge.
Take care and be safe.

I set off yesterday to buy a camera but I only got about 30Km and my brakes began to fail so I had to come back. (Cameras this side of the border cost like three times as much for the same model, no way am I a sucker...)
I plan to try again on Boxing Day. . .

leafminer,

Pardon my ignorance, but when is Boxing Day and what does it represent?

It sounds like you're from Canada, right?

Here's a thought, shop up there for exactly what you want -make model and accessories, then go on-line to see if you can find it there. That might get you a camera quicker and just as cheap.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Good smoking

Ah. Boxing day is tomorrow, day after Christmas day.
I'm from the UK but I live south of the OTHER border . . . cameras here are ridiculous prices, like they want $300 for a $100 camera. I can't buy online because then I have to pay a load for carriage AND customs will charge 40% on top . . . if it ever arrives in the first place.

leafminer,
By the OTHER BORDER, are you referring to Scotland? My recollection of English geography is very sketchy at best. If I remember correctly there is Britain on the south of the island and Scotland and Wales in the north with Wales being to the west and Scotland to the east, correct?

Then there is the island of Ireland with Ireland to the south and Northern Ireland under British control, correct?

Good smoking.

ZEM,

Please be patient, the man is trying to get a camera so he can get pictures to us.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Good smoking to everyone!

Seems to be some inhabitants already . . . :hubba:

greenhouse.jpg

If you took out the two center lateral pipes you would solve your water shed problem. Other than that looking good, what are you doing for airflow?

DonJones said:
leafminer,
By the OTHER BORDER, are you referring to Scotland? My recollection of English geography is very sketchy at best. If I remember correctly there is Britain on the south of the island and Scotland and Wales in the north with Wales being to the west and Scotland to the east, correct?

Then there is the island of Ireland with Ireland to the south and Northern Ireland under British control, correct?

:rofl:

Just passing info DJ ;)

Your G/H looks great Leaf :)

:peace:

2 2 UK.JPG

DonJones said:
Leafminer,

If you haven't already done so, please go look at the portable garages that use tarp like roofs. They minimizing pooling by not having any cross bracing that the plastic can sag and touch. That results in each bay between the roof rafter structures becoming an open ended trough or gutter that the water can run from the top all the way down to the edge with it always being lower the farther away from the top of the greenhouse.

If you need me to I'll try to get some pictures for you.

Do you get much snow where you are, because if you do, that is just about going to keep you from using plastic sheeting year around?

Actually I would recommend using at least 3/4" or even better 1" PVC pipe through out your green house. The structural integrity will be well worth the added cost, especially if you get any significant winds. The wind load can easily exceed most snow loads.

You will probably need to make some provisions for ventilating it too because the sun induced heat load will be astronomical.

You're doing fine. Keep on going because you've got the right idea if I understand what you are trying to do.

Good smoking.

Some how i've missed thi thread....
Last yr. I used 4: 1" pvc tubing (20' length) and 4: X's to glue the frame together.
Basically i pounded (6) 1" rebar into the ground and cut the 20' sections in to 10's. glued the 10 sections with the X's and stuffed the tubing over the rebar and tied with wire. This basic "hoop" style took me 1 hr to construct and comes down yrly. I covered it with 1/3 poly on top with 2/3 of the sides and walls with ground cloth for "screening" purposes.
Total cost $30 including the poly sheeting. ( the ground cloth i had already ).
Oh and simple "grommets" can be bought to "sew" the ground cloth to the poly.

Yeah it works fine . . . thanks for the heads up, Meds. I was thinking next trip to the other side I will have to visit the army surplus to get some camo netting, I bet that will be cheaper and more durable than shade cloth, what do you think?

I still have some work to do on it, the weather has been miserable. Got to do a door and window. I am thinking of using an old pedestal fan for ventilation. Wondering if I can find an auto temp control that would switch it on and off so I can keep the temp within preset limits. I think this is really going to help a lot with my grows, I only have the one flower room right now. Next project will be a garden shed . . . at least that's what the wife will think it is.

Latest posts

Back