Bulb Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if that bulb exploded, I doubt it would break the tempered hood glass in my air cooled hood.

Ahh never considered that, I just run a reflector hood (not air cooled) so there is just a naked bulb....maybe time to think about an air cooled hood? Might be safer?

It's cool that you cleared that out Hackerman. Kravenhead got me thinking that i had a time bomb inside my closed hood lol mine has no air cooling but is in closed fixture with tempered glass cover.

Phew! Thanks Hackerman! I was thinking about that too!!! hahaha

I have very good air cooled hoods, and last I knew they were supposed to be rather "resistant" to fire. :)

I have had a few bulbs explode in my time, mostly MH, a couple of HPS.
The problem I saw with the bulbs exploding in a sealed air cooled hood was the hot glass was blown into the ductwork and melted thru, hitting the Grow table and scorching it a bit. It defiantly won't bust the tempered glass, but it can still burn thru the ducting.
Just an additional watchout.

Ahhhh!!! Back to scared! :(

:D gladly i have no aircooled hood so theres no ducting and its fully enclosed. if i was to add air cooled duct i would definitely make the attachment with the bulb solid in a way to prevent any penetrating hot glass.

I have had a few bulbs explode in my time, mostly MH, a couple of HPS.
The problem I saw with the bulbs exploding in a sealed air cooled hood was the hot glass was blown into the ductwork and melted thru, hitting the Grow table and scorching it a bit. It defiantly won't bust the tempered glass, but it can still burn thru the ducting.
Just an additional watchout.

Thanks NorCal....just thought I was one of the few that has had that problem in the past. It was enough for me to invest in fire protection, and now I have zero worries.

Latest posts

Back