can i just bring in cold air from outside rather then running an ac unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andy52 said:
not to cut in on your thread dad,but i have a somiliar prob.my windows are the crank out kind,(anderson windows).at the moment i have the 1 window cranked out about 4 inches with cardboard covering the screen,which is on the inside of the room.with a cut-out for the portable ac exhaust.how can i rig up something to bring in cool air without it being so obvious.having the window ajar during the winter is gonna look suspicious.i also live not far from aurora indicas dad.20--25 miles. i wanted to put a dryer vent in,but girlfriend says no.her house.all idea appreciated.sorry dad

i was thinkin you could tint the windows ,and then still have your cardboard up without anybody seeing it from the outside...you think that would work or what? i honestly dont think theres any way around not havin the window open...maybe im wrong though....hmmm :confused:

you can get manual ones hat you have to open and close your self, gimmie a lil bit, i gotta look around for one on a timer i saw somewhere i think i bookmarked it.........

andy52 said:
not to cut in on your thread dad,but i have a somiliar prob.my windows are the crank out kind,(anderson windows).at the moment i have the 1 window cranked out about 4 inches with cardboard covering the screen,which is on the inside of the room.with a cut-out for the portable ac exhaust.how can i rig up something to bring in cool air without it being so obvious.having the window ajar during the winter is gonna look suspicious.i also live not far from aurora indicas dad.20--25 miles. i wanted to put a dryer vent in,but girlfriend says no.her house.all idea appreciated.sorry dad

man I have the same old arss windows...untill TOMMOROW!:D
which Im replacing with the help of my uncle-in-laws.. my clones are gettin huge and I cant put my ebb&flow system back 'till the windows are done.. Im so stressed about people being in my grow room, My veg cab is pretty stealthy so as long as the stink dont give me away I'll be budding again next week...so siked.

hxxp://www.iaqsource.com/category.php/fantech-backdraft-dampers/?category=1068&OVRAW=6%22%20dampers&OVKEY=fantech%20damper&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=4513405521&OVKWID=46054635021

check these out. i gotta look round for the timer model. but you can get these at h.d. or lowes or wherever

clanchattan said:
hxxp://www.iaqsource.com/category.php/fantech-backdraft-dampers/?category=1068&OVRAW=6%22%20dampers&OVKEY=fantech%20damper&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=4513405521&OVKWID=46054635021

check these out. i gotta look round for the timer model. but you can get these at h.d. or lowes or wherever

yea,thats exactly what i need,do you think since ill be pulling air into the room that once i turn the fan on it'll open this mechanism up and allow fresh air in? heres a pic i made up right quick on paint to show you what im thinking. thanks again for the help and also thanks turkey for following my grows,it makes me feel like im actually doing all this work as far as posting pics and whatnot for a reason,besides the fact that i hope i can help a "newbie" out along the way.

View attachment pic.bmp

i think as long as the spring in the damper is pointed in the right direction, and the fan moves enough air it'll work pretty sweet. and thanks for the thanks. my ol lady calls me mr watchamajig cause i allways know the name of the doohicky she's talkin about. it's my gig i guess.............

I'm using a Dryer vent damper for my exhaust in the closet. It opens whenever air flows through the pipe (substantial air anyways) without needing my intervention. It does its job of keeping stuff from coming in the exhaust while still letting the air out.

sorry it took me so long.no she doesn't mind me opening the window.its that the windows crank out.i have my portable ac vrnted out a window now,but i had to put cardboard over the screen and cut a hole for the exhaust from the ac unit.but in the winter it would look suspicious having the window cracked open.she might let me put a dryer vent thru the wall.if so,i guess i could stick something thru it to keep the flaps open on the outside to draw cold air in from outside.since i vent my heat to the basement right now.so many what ifs.she wants me to move it all to the basement.but i will have to get an electrician out first.i do not mess with electricity.and theres only 1 outlet down there to use.the water softener has the other outlet,with the sump pump.do you know a good cheap electrician.i really want to go to the basement.be a lot cooler in the summer time.any help here appreciated.

Ok Andy-

If your going to hire an electrician to wire your grow room, I would have the following installed:

240v Dryer plug, 30 amp.
2) 120v 15 amp plugs, 4 plug boxes

That way you can run up to 8 lights, have power for AC, cooling, pumps, dehumidifier, heaters.. anything you need in the future. Future proofing now before any huge setup is in place will make future upgrades as easy as buying the gear and plugging it in.

As for taking air from outside, thanks for asking the question AI Dad. I'm going to be doing the same. I was going to convert my closet into a sealed room using an IceQube 1300BTU a/c, but after calculating the costs associated with it, I'm going to have to use a temperature controller and in/out vents. I might even need a small space heater, but i hope not.

AI likes colder weather sometimes.

thanks ugmjfarmer,i appreciate that.i will write it all down and get an estimate on it.any idea on the cost?what kind of temp. controller are you talking about.i bought a thermo cube and it does not work for me.cheapo,20 bucks.bought 5 of them and does not work as they stated.i really need to have something to control the temp in my frow area as my portable ac unit is outside the grow area and vented into the grow area. anyhelp there appreciated.

I have had no problem with heat since i installed my intake (duct and fan) im just running it in 15 minute intervals.ive noticed alot quicker growth with my temps not being as high.

no,i have no heat problems,just want something to put inside the grow area to control the on and off of the ac unit.the ac being outsude and the cold air blowing inside the grow.the ac goes by the room temp before cutting on or off.hell i have a hard time keeping it above 65 degrees now,with the ac unit.even on the hot days.even on the 12 hrs off,i still have my timer set to run for 15 mins every hour.exhaust and fresh air in and out 24 hrs.plants are growing like crazy.my prob;em now is i have too many plants.bad as i hate it,i am going to have to cull my girls to just keep 6 plants in the tent.i have 9 now,and they all turned out to be girls.

for an experiment i flowered a clone till it showed sex then put it back in my veg room to see what would happen and it stuntted and stop growing for about 10 days then it started growing back in veg (no hermie) but i only fed it water for those ten days cause i had it setting in a clear container.

Aurora, after reading your thread here, I read no mention of an Exhaust?

Do you have an exhaust fan set up in the room at all?

I run exclusivly in bedrooms and have set up mant different configs for all kinds of different issues.

If you do not have an exhaust then when fresh air is being pulled in, it will create a positive pressure and force air(stinky air) out of your room and into the rest of the house.

Maybe I missed the part of your exhaust??

norcalhal,howve you been bud? as far as an exhaust,no i dont as of yet.i run one of them odor neutralizers though,so maybe this is why.as for smell,none whatso ever throughout the whole house. (only when i toke) but my buds have really swelled up alot since i got my temps around them high 70's low 80's.but luckly my soon 2 be ex-wife doesnt smoke and has a good sense of smell,so everytime she comes over i ask her if she smells anything and she says no.and ive grew in the house with her b-4 so i trust her judgement since i know she does know the smell.i have only got the fan runnin a few times throughout the night when my lights are off though.it stays on for 15 minutes each time.

Latest posts

Back