Cane Sugar? Your Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umbra said:
my spin on the subject:

when using chemical nutes, you are feeding the plant. the nutes are designed to be absorbed directly by the plant and the medium itself, doesn't really matter. With real organics you are feeding the soil and not the plant, per se. whatever organic matter is available will be broken down into a usable form to the plant. if we were talking about an outdoor 10,000 acre grow, the benefits of real organics would be more understandable. If you ever talked to real farmers, dead and nutrient poor soil is a real problem. using tons of chem nutes may create plants today, but the long term viability and productivity of the soil will be depleated, because the chem nutes don't feed the soil. some of the problems with using chem nutes are high nitrate and phosphate run off or ground water contamination. organic farming has none of these issues. this type of farming is referred to as sustainable. the challenge of the 21st century is sustainability; whether it is energy consumption, carbon footprint, or farming.

because so many growers are indoors and have small grows, all that matters is their current grow. but farming practices effect us all in a very global way. i'm dialing in the full organic method and believe it will rival hydro in terms of yield, flowering time, and potency.

You mean all this high nute run-off from all the golf courses and other chemically addicted flora in FL are going to have a negative effect on our lakes and streams? Our aquifer? Gadzooks, what's next, you're gonna try to tell me we're gonna muck up the Everglades if we don't stop our evil ways?:eek:

Decent spin, Umbra, thanks. That's the lofty goal to aspire to. I'm a Bahia grass growing/zeroscaping skeptic--my neighbors feed their St. Auggie till their sidewalks turn green from the water and algae. No prob--it just runs down the street to the lake at the bottom of the hill, and, as they say, can't see it from my house.

You mean all this high nute run-off from all the golf courses and other chemically addicted flora in FL are going to have a negative effect on our lakes and streams? Our aquifer? Gadzooks, what's next, you're gonna try to tell me we're gonna muck up the Everglades if we don't stop our evil ways?:eek:
You got it ;) Chem ferts are pollutants.
I know some people think organic growing is about being hippy or something or staying green. But the problem of chem ferts and pesticides are becoming a huge problem. not to mention we don't know what the true entire impact will be.
I do know one thing....organic is a hell of a lot cheaper then using concentrated chem ferts. ;)

All the excess chem fert that run off into the river and streams do is cause algee, virus and bacterias to bloom and grow. The excess fert cause lower Oxygen levels in the water way making it harder for anamial(fish, frog, and crawdads, etc) to live.
Ferts are not the only problem chemicals are main players in the game of destroying the enviroment to.

Molasses is a good soil conditioner but IMO is better on pancakes and in cookies.

StoneyBud said:
Gotta tell ya folks, after living my life watching people and their actions or lack of actions, I'm pretty much convinced that the world will have to come to a "Near Death" state before the VAST majority of humans will ever care enough about their planet to actually make it healthy again.

HUMANS are the virus that's killing Mother Earth.

Look at your fellow road travelers next time you're out on the highway. One or two people in each car. So many cars that it looks like an ant hill from the air.

A simple natural gas, public transportation system would make most of those cars unnecessary. Including all the ones being driven by the organic lovers and health freaks.

I see people every day, wearing and using chemically produced clothing and materials. Firing up their BBQ and feeding their kids with food cooked over known carcinogen charcoals and having them drink the water that is processed with chlorine to neutralize the sewage that it's created from.

Folks, I'm convinced that the planet will indeed have to reach Near Death before the problems that are killing her will be honestly addressed.

They want me to put my plastic into a special little bucket on the curb, while the Manufacturers on the planet pump more pollutants into our lives in ONE SECOND than the population of NYC can produce from their homes in a HUNDRED YEARS.

Frankly, I think it's kind of funny. We won't kill our planet. Our planet will kill us. We are the virus. The planet will develop a cure to us in the only way it can; by killing us.

Eventually, I think perhaps 1% of the worlds population will survive whatever it is that happens. At that time, the planet will again become the natural, wonderful place it was before man screwed it up with his greed, corruption and apathy.

Until then, I'll do my part to help this come about. I'll ignore all the baloney about personal liability for pollution UNTIL the major players do something to curb their overpowering, massive contributions to the problem.

We could fix the problems now. All we have to do is make the major polluters of the world stop doing what they do to provide our cars, our clothing, our homes and our food.

Until they quit manufacturing these items in the manner that they do to make a profit, any trivial attempts by individuals to curb the destruction of Mother Earth is pointless. It's much like pissing on the proverbial forest fire.

So, that said, I'll keep using my chemical nutes, driving my 15 MPG Van, eating BBQ over charcoal, and buying all the plastic I want until it kills 9 out of 10 people on this planet.

But I'll have fun doing it.

Reality Succkssssss.

If it makes you organic folks all warm and fuzzy to eat your pine cones, then put some organic molasses on them and eat mine as well.

I guess that makes my stance pretty clear...

Change is not easy. But its starts with one person, and one act. Organic farming does more than provide nutes to plants. It provides drought resistance, helps protect against bugs and parasites, soil erosion, water pollution and oil spills. Don't mean to get carried away, but theres lots to learn and then to apply.:D

umbra said:
Change is not easy. But its starts with one person, and one act. Organic farming does more than provide nutes to plants. It provides drought resistance, helps protect against bugs and parasites, soil erosion, water pollution and oil spills. Don't mean to get carried away, but theres lots to learn and then to apply.:D
Teach it to the huge corporations that dump Billions of gallons of crap into our planet every day. I'll start as soon as it matters what I do. Currently, nothing I could possibly do would make even the slightest difference until the Corporations are under control.

Growing your own eats is a great idea. At least you know what it is you're eating.

How does organic farming help against oil spills. You've got me wondering... :D

organic gardening and oil spills...EM my friend. another hi jacked thread. efficient micro organisms are what consume oil in oil spills. add to ground water and it will help control the pollution. have you ever seen a digester. they use them in sewage treatment plants. by adding micro organisms to raw sewage, it is converted to an organic material that is used as fertilizer. not all that much too do with sugar cane, i'm afraid.

do you remember when GE got caught dumping pcb's into the hudson river up around croton. well one man changed that. his name...pete seeger! i've been to his farm many times and he did many fund raisers and education and just sailing down the hudson. to let people know what happened and how to fix it. today, the pcb are nothing more than old news, because somebody CHOSE to make a difference. now SB if you chose not to care...no problem.

peace my friend

umbra said:
now SB if you chose not to care...no problem.
I didn't say I didn't care. I said it makes no difference if 1000 Pete seegers exist. Until Corporate greed is controlled, no amount of seegers will make the slightest difference in the outcome. Our planet is dying because of the apathy of the human race. Most know and don't care.

We elect A/H's who help kill earth. We elect them with about 30% of the voters caring enough to vote. The other 70% don't care enough to even vote.

As a result, the Corporations are killing earth.

Like I said, when about 1% of the human population remains alive, something will be done.

The other 99% can kiss their ever-loving butts goodbye.

Organics will allow you to live longer if you produce your own food using them.

Maybe.

You have to realize that at my age, it really makes little difference.

I have so many chemicals in me that I glow in the dark. hehe

I have a shelf life of 200 years. :eek:

Stoney, our thoughts run in similar circles I guess. The local news-rag here caught the city taking the stuff we all were putting in our earth friendly recycle containers to the county dump. The city's response: It's cheaper to dump it and cover it up than to recycle it. Well duh- huh. So I quit participating in their little recycle charade--no need for both of us to play hide the plastic.

I also think that insinuating that humans will destroy the earth is laughably vain. Mother Earth will puke us off the planet when she's had enough--we are indeed a virus.

PencilHead said:
I also think that insinuating that humans will destroy the earth is laughably vain. Mother Earth will puke us off the planet when she's had enough--we are indeed a virus.
We won't actually destroy the planet, just the part that makes it possible for Humans to live on it. We're doing that at a pace that defies reason.

Eventually, something will occur that will kill off almost all of us. Then the earth will heal itself.

Hey potplusguitar, your thread has evolved from a simple question to a planetary scale of destruction..... Yikes!

The answer to your original question of course, is that no, you should not use table sugar on your plants. There are so may viable organic and non-organic choices for your nutrients, it would be wise to use what has already been proven to work.

Good luck to you!

If it makes you organic folks all warm and fuzzy to eat your pine cones, then put some organic molasses on them and eat mine as well.

I guess that makes my stance pretty clear...

Yeah it does make me all warm and fuzzy that i didn't have to pay one red cent for my medium. Yeah it makes me feel warm and fuzzy that my medium is 100% reusable. No I'm not a tree hugger, but have done both Chem grown and Organic grown....I used GH Maxi series in dirt. All I know is the organic tasted and smelled better than the chem grown and that was a side by side comparison.

At no point did i make a rude comment on you growing hydro. please don't insult me that actually likes growing this way. Your way works for you my way works for me. I don't need some dude with a PHD to tell me my way works. But don't be insulting to people that care about there lil part in the enviro. I didn't insult you.

I found that comment extremely rude. It is clear that mollassas helps in soil conditioning. Think the links i provided showed that. I'm outa this thread....1/2 the crap i read in retaliation to links isn't worth reading. thats my stance on it.

Mutt said:
Yeah it does make me all warm and fuzzy that i didn't have to pay one red cent for my medium. Yeah it makes me feel warm and fuzzy that my medium is 100% reusable. No I'm not a tree hugger, but have done both Chem grown and Organic grown....I used GH Maxi series in dirt. All I know is the organic tasted and smelled better than the chem grown and that was a side by side comparison.

At no point did i make a rude comment on you growing hydro. please don't insult me that actually likes growing this way. Your way works for you my way works for me. I don't need some dude with a PHD to tell me my way works. But don't be insulting to people that care about there lil part in the enviro. I didn't insult you.

I found that comment extremely rude. It is clear that mollassas helps in soil conditioning. Think the links i provided showed that. I'm outa this thread....1/2 the crap i read in retaliation to links isn't worth reading. thats my stance on it.
I've deleted the post that bothered you.

POTUS said:
I just spent some time on the phone with a friend who teaches plant biology in a well known university. After a long, very detailed and sometimes angry explanation of things discovered more recently than my education in his field encompasses, he's convinced me that large strides have been made in the areas we're discussing. He even offered to come knock it into my head for you after reading our posts via email.

The new methods he discussed are mostly under the umbrella of fruit improvement, and he admitted that he had no knowledge of the same methods being used in marijuana studies, but he did say that what I know of the subject is now much out of date.

It seems that I'll have a nice supper of crow tonight.

Given that my information seems to be out of date, and practical experimentation has shown value in what I've believed to be harmful, I concede the argument to you and those who have insisted on the possible benefit of utilizing sucrose based additives into a nutrient system.

Whereas I fully believed it to be a soil improvement only, it seems that I'm out of date and incorrect.

While holding my previous beliefs, I stood firmly. Now that I've learned that my education has been surpassed by more recent discoveries, I readily admit my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Old dogs *can* learn new tricks.

Damned expensive phone call too.

I'm not even telling you or my friend how to find each other. I need no more knocks on my head than I've had over the years.

Now, please excuse me, as I have a lot of pie to eat...

Peace
..Hows the pie tonite stony???..:rofl:

;)

Hick said:
..Hows the pie tonite stony???..:rofl:

;)
Now how'd we go from Organic Preaching to sucrose uptake?

Sure Organics works. It works great. I just don't bother with it.

I guess I better look into it. I might not live to 85 if I keep eating like I do...

hehe

You guys take this stuff too seriously.

potplusguitar, I would go buy some "unsulphured blackstrap molasses" that's all natural. I use Brer Rabbit Molasses. I've always used it and it does have benefits for the soil and the plants. You can get it from most grocery stores for around $4.

Hope this helps
HazeMe

Latest posts

Back