Carbon filter + fan recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfish

Random title
Reaction score
I am wanting to purchase a carbon filter and fan to clear up the air in my house some. I will be using this fan to exhaust from my grow room out into the living area of the house. My grow area is around 200 cubic feet in size.

The setup I have been looking at is at HTG. 6" inline fan carbon filter combo htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52609

Would this be sufficient for my needs or would anyone recommend something different for me? Also would I be able to run an inline air cooled hood through this when summer comes if needed as well?

Any and all advice on this purchase is welcome :)
Thank you,

Warfish

one mistake alot of people make is buying a fan that is too big for the filter thus resulting in less air/carbon contact time...if you want your filter setup to work as advertised, you must choose a fan rated at or under the CFM rating of the filter...example...i run a 180 cfm fan connected to 2 90 cfm filters...there is a slight reduction in airflow because of the filters so my actual cfm exchange is really around 150 cfm through a filter setup rated for 180 max. if your fan pulls the air through the filters too fast, the carbon does not have enough time to remove odors and such..

on another note... i have seen the fans and filters that HTG sells and i think they are of good quality...just stick to the flow/filter formula and all will be odor free.

:yeahthat:

OR... IF your budget or logistics require you to run the filter inline with your air cooled hood you can make do with an all in one setup but it will require a pretty stout fan to pull enuf air thru the filter to cool off your light. I do this with a 630cfm fan in my attic that pulls the air first thru my 30 lb carbon filter, a short piece of semi-rigid duct then my 6" cool tube, a rigid elbow and then an 6' piece of 6" duct connected to my fan. I simply blow my scrubbed warm air into my attic... and it's completely odorless in my pad. The nice thing about blowing it into the attic and/or out of the roof is the neg air pressure that is created. With negative air pressure all air from the rest of the house flows toward that bedroom and specifically the closet so it's impossible for dank odors to waft upwind and get into the rest of the house. I'm not sure how the flow is going to be if you exhaust it back into your living area but if the air is adequately exchanged and scrubbed odors shouldn't be an issue.

Peace!:cool:

Could of sworn i see them all the time with a combo, but the filter seperatley is less of a cfm rating then the fan itself. hmm. I very well could be stoned too.

Edit: Thought they always say dont push it into the attic, cause of bacteria issues? The last sentence could apply here too...

Dayton fans, from a commercial supply and the DIY carbon filter in the DIY sub forum here.

What I've seen on several hydro sites is pretty much a big stiff one up the wazoo without benefit of lubrication OR a kiss.:holysheep:

Spend your $$$$ as you see fit.:hubba:

DD

your best bet if not cooling your light too, is a 4" inline fan($100) and 2 can filter 2600's($50 each)...i recirculate my air and i smell nothing...my odor problem was way bad before i built my filter setup.

nouvellechef said:
Could of sworn i see them all the time with a combo, but the filter seperatley is less of a cfm rating then the fan itself. hmm. I very well could be stoned too.

Edit: Thought they always say dont push it into the attic, cause of bacteria issues? The last sentence could apply here too...
i noticed the same thing however, when i bought the 4" fan/filter combo, it did not suffice ....i had to add another 2600 to reduce the contact time before i noticed a smell free grow room. think of it from a "physics" standpoint.

Good site to help you figure out sizing and equipment combos

hxxp://www.canfilters.com/

Thanks all for the input so far :) I am going to make this purchase come tuesday when the check comes in, hehe! So I am weighing all the alternatives until then.

Droopy, I normally enjoy building from scratch but with being on crutches and not knowing how to use the darned things I would rather just buy it at this point rather than try to stumble around building :)

Ok, with Puffmonkey's flow filter formula in mind I am now looking at there next size up filter with the same size 6" can fan (424 cfm) as I would really like to turn the room over more plus it would still give me the option to use it for an air cooled hood if heat becomes a problem in the summer. The filter says the optimal cfm range is 265-425cfm so it matches up better than the other. htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=55183

This would cost me $244 shipped to my door. A bit more than my wife had said I could spend, errr I mean a lil over my set budget, but I think I could do it :)

Still open to more ideas and tips on installing :)

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=55183

hey guys i have a question, i saw in a factory specialized in ventilation some carbon screens that come like an airfilter fabric black in color, i wonder if anyone ever seen those? they claim to remove 90% of odors

All I can really say on this subject is don't try to cut corners, or skimp. I did, and it only ended up costing me more money to get the set-up that I needed for my space to begin with. Save yourself the hassle/money, and figure out your space and the setup that is right for it, and get it.

I have made so many mistakes in my purchases so far until I found this sight that I am really hoping to get teh right thing the first time for once here, hehe :)

The system I am looking at will turn my room over a little over 2 times per minute. It has a 424cfm can fan and a filter rated for up to 425cfm of flow.
htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=55183
At this point in time there will be very little ducting added, it will be a near straight shot out of the fan through only a couple feet of straight ducting then out the ceiling. I may go out the wall at the top for ease of installation though, if I do that there will be one elbow added, all 6" ducting.

Do you all think this will work for me? Do you have any better ideas or tips on how to set this up? :)

zem said:
hey guys i have a question, i saw in a factory specialized in ventilation some carbon screens that come like an airfilter fabric black in color, i wonder if anyone ever seen those? they claim to remove 90% of odors
i actually have seen those but when i look at the density difference between the 2 types(can/sheet) i'm left wondering if they are up to the task....maybe you could triple up on them ?

Latest posts

Back