Cardboard box= fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peter23

i have a 19 watt floro bulb in a 2x2x4 cardboard box with a large fan in the box to keep air moving im only growing one plant, and the light hangs about 3 inches (the closest) from the cardboard wall. how many of you think this could be a bad idea? its in the back of my 2x5x9 closet with the door shut.. i took the temperature in there and its 80 degrees and the air feels pretty chilly when i open the top.. any input is great

thanks,
Pete

i wouldnt have thought a 19w fluoro would give enough heat to cause fire, unless it has a ballast unit thats not built in to the actual lamp, like a cfl.
i would also say that 19w fluoro wouldnt give enough light to grow with either.

BM :bong1:

ya it is a CFL sorry and the ballast is on the bulb is that bad? lol

cfl with built in ballast is good, but still, 19w wont be enough to grow you plant properly.

For Veg good
For flowwer bad

You will need at least 4 x moor light to flower with cfls or invest in a small HPS

And better safe than sorry man cardboard just scream bad idea to me. What if you spill some water and it gets all soggy, or what if there is a short in your bulb and it ignites the cardboard? What if..... well you see what I mean, plywood is cheap and much less prone to igniting than cardboard. If money is an issue then find a place where they are building new homes like a bunch of them just go dumpster raiding nobody cares if you are taking garbage, just stay away from the nice neat piles of wood. Hell if you asked the guys building the places I'm sure they would more than happily let you have their scraps.

IMHO, a cardboard box is a poor place to grow. If you have sufficient light to grow, it is going to be a fire hazard. Also, you are going to need far more than 4 times the light you have now to flower. I would say that you need about 5 times the light you have now just to veg. Flowering will be a way different story.

ok so whats the minimum hps bulb i would need to grow one plant? veg and flower?

one more reason I say cardboard is bad ( Besides FIRE ) is that as plants grow the humidity/moister that will come from growing..cardboard will fail...causing everthing above to come crashing down...killing plant and mayB start fire...Like Tater said plywood is cheap...and you can even find an old dresser...Good luck

A 250W HPS would be a good idea. It's enough light for 2.5' x 2.5' area- if you're doing 1 plant top it a couple times and you should get a decent amount of bud. The HPS will work for the whole cycle but you could go with 5 or 6 cfls until flowering

IMO i think you are some teenager trying to hide something from your parents.

If you can't afford to go out and make a proper grow area you don't need to even try. A cardboard box? I mean are you serious?

Dood...... come on... are you serious?

And an HPS is NOT a bulb you can just put in a socket and go.... you need a ballast to run it.

I would suggest starting in the FAQ's before you burn your home down. Well your parents home.

actually I'm some teenager in an apartment that has his girlfriend and parents over.. who like to snoop.. i did it in a cardboard box so i could stash it in a pile of other cardboard boxes.. this is also my first grow and didnt even really expect this plant to even sprout.. so as of now im taking it a day at a time with a cardboard box and cfl. so thanks for the pointless reply wakenbake. I will be constructing a grow box for my next grow but until then I'm just getting a feel for it.

thanks,
Pete

i dont think cardboard will last. sometimes water leaks from time to time causing the cardboard to get softer and softer
but yeah never tried growing in a cardboard but looks like it can start some fire if the cfls stay on to long

lol, useless reply? man you care going to burn your house down if you don't think this through man. Growing cannabis isn't a game dood.

It isn't a game.

It also isn't safe to attempt something in a cardboard box. My post may have been useless, but i mean honestly, no adult here i don't think has attempted such tom foolery.

This is honestly a very first for me. I've seen people grow in pc cases, closets, and refridgerators. Everywhere, cept a cardboard box. I Just don't see why you are trying soooo hard to hide 1 plant in a pile of boxes. You are trying to hide it from someone man..... if you want to be safe, try changing the locks on the area the plants are in and get em out of the dadgum cardboard box/ fire hazard.

Covering a plant in a box among other cardboard boxes isnt smart.
If it isn't as i state why are you trying to hide it so hard as to actually go to dangerous lengths as growing in a cardboard box man?

I am just trying to understand the thinking that went into this attempt.

hi peter. i tried this once when me an my wife had a room mate and it is not a very sufficent way to grow.. my first grow i measered for a small box in my closet and went to lowes and got one piece of thin osb for like 10 bucks and had lowes cut it for me .. this way you don't have to cut it outside your apt and someone saying what the hell is he doing.. .. be creative and u can do alot.. u can put a fan on top and one on the door and ur are set.. and then just stack boxes around it leaving enough room for fresh air to get in.. i was in your position once and it did not give me enough to make it worth it.. after you build a box just go to wally world and buy one of those 4 packs of 23 watt cfls.. cool white for veg and soft white for flower...you can get it in small portions and then try to grow once u have it all... i had to buy my stuff for a month before i could start growing.... just be smart and make it worth your time and electric bill...... card board will work but not safe... hope this helps......... oh yeah and wakenbake there is no reason to make coments like that .... and i am sure the mods here would agree u are not the one to judge other ppl... all i can say is if u can't word it in the proper manner then don't reply.......

Peter23 said:
so thanks for the pointless reply wakenbake.

dude, you need to chill i bit, whether wakenbake was right or wrong on your situation, theres no need to get moody, as hemp godess pointed out, any light thats able to grow MJ, is capable of causing fire. wakenbake was merely pointing out that, no matter how much you need to keep a grow hidden, its not worth burning down your home, maybe not said in the right way, but all the same, his point is valid,
be safe man.

lol,thats how i started mine out,in a cardboard box with alum. taped ot the sides and bottom.worked until i got my stuff i got now.never was enclosed tho.sitting on a table with a light shining down from the open top.syre seems silly now.don't do it dude.danger,danger

bartmanuk said:
dude, you need to chill i bit, whether wakenbake was right or wrong on your situation, theres no need to get moody, as hemp godess pointed out, any light thats able to grow MJ, is capable of causing fire. wakenbake was merely pointing out that, no matter how much you need to keep a grow hidden, its not worth burning down your home, maybe not said in the right way, but all the same, his point is valid,
be safe man.

yes i realize it's not the safest way to grow but i just wanted to see peoples opinions. and I thank the people pointing it out maturely and respectfully but i don't need to be insulted and to me it just seems he's wasting his time insulting me and asking if i'm serious rather than just helping me (which this forum was invented for) or not even answer at all. cause it's useless to me to have his insults on my thread.

And WakenBake, "You are trying to hide it from someone man..." i believe i said i have my girlfriend and parents over often and they like to look around.. Thanks.;)

Thanks all,
Pete

hey peter23, not here to balk at how anyone grows. cause seriously, i've grown, and have seen some crazy ways of growing. i'm now finishing up my 2nd indoor grow of white widow, that was vegged entirely in a cardboard box(5 weeks)...:hubba: ...and, not only did i do it once, but twice, and in the same cardboard box. so if someone says it cannot be done, tell 'em to come on over to banjos ww grow, and have a look see for thierselves. look down pg.1 at my cheesy:hubba: set-up, then head to pg.5 for solid results...

Hey thanks a lot for the inspiration Banjo those were some killer plants man. and like you say this is a box that is meant to be monitored haha but ya i have some new plans now :hubba:

ok so instead of putting it in my closet in two cardboard boxes, I'm thinking of just getting a lock for my closet door to keep the snoopers away :cool: haha and then im thinking i might take a dresser that my brothers givin me and gut it and make a stealth dresser box inside my locked closet. haha just incase the girl demands to see in side :angrywife::ignore: haha she is only to see a closet with clothes and a dresser with some crafty design to hide the sound,light,smell,wires. my closet is usually wide open but i just need it to be able to look natural when it needs to (ya know :confused:) anyways thats gunna be a few days/weeks cause i still need to get my HPS and other stuff that will prob come to a grand total of about 300$ before i can really start so until then.. :ciao: HELLOOOOOOOOOO cardboard! :ciao:

Thanks,
Pete

Latest posts

Back