CFL 42 watt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figurehead

Reaction score
OK, I'm making the jump to cfls. Only one more question I couldn't find the answer to here with the search... are the cfl 42 watt bulbs just regular bulbs? I couldn't find any that said they were for gardening or plants.

I'm setting up a 5 light box this weekend (6 lights if you include the flouro I'm putting in as well) with 2 fans. Wish me luck.

hi figurehead. You want cool bulbs (blue spectrum) for veg. ...and warm bulbs (red spectrum) for flower. should say so on the box...if not, look up the bulb and the web. Having said that, look into and HPS for flower :) you will thank, ummm..i dunno..the MJ Gods. Good luck

Smoke on...

check out this book "Marijuana Buds for Less: Grow 8 Oz. of Bud for Less Than $100 (Paperback)" amazon.com or ca. He uses six 42 watt cfl's to grow two plants and 8oz.

there is no a spectrum, veg or flowering in these bulbs.

actually... I have noticed there is... cool whilt for tying to root a clone, and once rooted, they prefer a daylight bulb

Figurehead said:
OK, I'm making the jump to cfls. Only one more question I couldn't find the answer to here with the search... are the cfl 42 watt bulbs just regular bulbs? I couldn't find any that said they were for gardening or plants.

I'm setting up a 5 light box this weekend (6 lights if you include the flouro I'm putting in as well) with 2 fans. Wish me luck.

Yes, they are regular bulbs. Just make sure as I said in your other thread to get the blue spectrum for veg and red spectrum for flower.

peacock, that is the book I bought today. That is also the reason I asked, he didn't say exactly what type of bulbs, just that they were cfl 42 watts. The book seems like a good read but even as a novice I have still found a ton of errors due to poor editing and also found it a little bit missleading. Under $100? Well, not if you include the "fans, odor eating lights, pest strips, CO2 bucket, thermometer" and the bulbs alone at $8.79 at Walmart eat up over $51 of that budget. More like "for under $300" if ya ask me. LOL!

i thought my first post splained it pretty well...:confused2:...Good luck

Curmudgeon ol Lil node

Smoke on...

Hey dude I got that book a while ago and tryed the same thing and I had 8 42w cfls and I got an ounce of bud on one plant. at 10 dollars a bulb at home depot plus the fixtures and stuff. Just spend the extra 50 dollars and get a 150w HPS you will thank me later. The bud you get from the cfs is good bud but very light weight and wispy if you want weight on your buds use nothing but HPS period.

The book is for ideal conditions. I see cfl's as continuing to being used in growing. 42 Watt CFL's in CA are about $14.00 ea. at Walmart. A better buy would be a 250 Watt @ $56.00CA. These bulbs come both in 2700K and 6500K so used both for flower and veg. Covering inbetween two and four square feet of space. These bulbs are 16,000 lumens alot less than a MH or a HPS bulb. Each to his own choices.

I am currently growing with some 42 watt cfls. they are GE brand, and they didnt specify on the box which color temp they were. i looked online when i got home and it said they were 2700k, perfect for flowering.

it seems that the color temperature is sometimes left off the box, or its in tiny print on the edge of the packaging. quite irritating

so my answer is, at least for GE, the 42 watt cfls are 2700k, but yeah double check some websites

The book is for ideal conditions. I see cfl's as continuing to being used in growing. 42 Watt CFL's in CA are about $14.00 ea. at Walmart. A better buy would be a 250 Watt @ $56.00CA. These bulbs come both in 2700K and 6500K so used both for flower and veg. Covering inbetween two and four square feet of space. These bulbs are 16,000 lumens alot less than a MH or a HPS bulb. Each to his own choices.

i was under the impression that it was 6500 for Veg and 2700 for flower. The largest 6500 I have been able to find at lowes and home deot was 26watts and 1600 lumens, was I mistaken?

there hard to spot, they're normaly with all cfls and some say 3 in 1 bulb its dimmable. they usualy have them in both 2700k and 6500k thats where i get mine. and you are correct 6500k = veg , 2700k = flowering.

Just going over the book again, on day 1 he starts of with one 42w CFL, is that 6500k or 2700k spectrum bulb and on day 5 he has a total of 8 42w CFL's in his grow area, what spectrum were the 7 other bulbs he added on day 5? Had he 1 6500k and 7 2700k?

Thanks.

FruityBud said:
Just going over the book again, on day 1 he starts of with one 42w CFL, is that 6500k or 2700k spectrum bulb and on day 5 he has a total of 8 42w CFL's in his grow area, what spectrum were the 7 other bulbs he added on day 5? Had he 1 6500k and 7 2700k?

Thanks.

well for veg it must have been the 6500k. as stated ~6500k for vegg and ~2700k for flower.

Im sorry but if that book does not mention color spectrum its seriously lacking info.

I also read here that it doent hurt to have both spectrums. a mixture of 6500 and 2700K. If this is correct does this work for both veg and flower?

Is there any benifit when doing this with cfl's?

I've noticed with the CFL's that they are pretty easy to distinguish just by looking at them. The 2700k ones have kind of an orange tent to them and dont blind u as much. The 6500k daylight ones are freaking bright white and blind the **** out of you if u happen to glance into one. I get mine at Wal-Mart and i've found that 6500k are marked clearly on the front of the package and they are labeled daylight while all the other bulbs that arent marked seem to be 2700k. These are all GE though so i cant speak for other brands. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

New2Chronic, I'm pretty new with the CFL's and just growing in general but I generally use mostly 6500k if i'm vegging and then mostly 2700k when i'm flowering but I always mix in a few of the other. I just think that it would benefit the plant to have a little bit of the whole spectrum.

New_2_Chronic said:
I also read here that it doent hurt to have both spectrums. a mixture of 6500 and 2700K. If this is correct does this work for both veg and flower?

Is there any benifit when doing this with cfl's?

That is a very good question. Most things I've read say 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. Does it do any good to add some red spectrum to a mainly blue spectrum during veg and conversely during flower or should it all be the one spectrum during the respective periods?

Come on MP experts- any opinions or experiences?

BBFan said:
That is a very good question. Most things I've read say 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. Does it do any good to add some red spectrum to a mainly blue spectrum during veg and conversely during flower or should it all be the one spectrum during the respective periods?

Come on MP experts- any opinions or experiences?
Red spectrum during veg promotes stretching, all blue is better for tighter nodes/bushier growth. Not sure about the effect of mixed spectrums on flowering.

Latest posts

Back