CFL vs. MH vs. HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mokey1

Reaction score
I've read so much on light that I'm not sure what is best.

First grow totally under lights. This is what I have and have done so far. Started the seeds and put them under fluorescent lights to get started. Then moved them to a 200 watt. CFL for most of the vegging. Then about a week ago put them under 600 watt. HPS. Will leave them there for another 2 weeks and then switch over to flowering. Plants have been vegging for about 3 months and are about 20 inch tall or so after having been topped many times. How does all this sound to you guys and girls?

On the next grow would it have better to start the little ones out with the 200 watt CFL and skip the florescent lights. Then finish vegging under the 600 watt HPS? Or maybe go from the CFL to a MH 250 or 400 watts and then only use the HPS for flowering? Or if I can keep the heat down use both a MH and HPS for flowering? That almost seems like over kill to me.

I use (2) 4' shop lights for about 4 weeks and then straight to my 400w hps for the flowering period. So long as you have enough light for your plants it really depends on what you want to spend and also the size of your grow area. It sounds to me like you have a pretty good system down. If I were to change anything I would just bypass the cfl (only because it is 1 more step...I get lazy when I am stoned sometimes :rolleyes: ) use the floro's for veg and then straight to the hps for flower.

For what it is worth i consider floros and cfl's pretty much the same...I don't use floros I use cfl's for early stage vegging...only because of space limitations.
Lately I hve skipped the MH and gone right to HPS for a cpl weeks of vegging then flip to 12/12...I do see a bit of difference between vegging under HPS and MH...MH seems to produce slightly bigger plants but the heat issues are a lot greater for me to control...

Hey Hamster :joint4: I have a switchable ballast but have heard about heat issues with MH as well. My closet is small and well ventilated but I think a MH would be too much in there.

godspeedsuckah said:
Hey Hamster :joint4: I have a switchable ballast but have heard about heat issues with MH as well. My closet is small and well ventilated but I think a MH would be too much in there.

Do you hve a MH bulb handy? The best way to find out is to gve it a try...if it is really well ventilated or if you hve a cool tube you cld probably get away with using one with hardly a problem...I don't hve a cool tube on my 400w system so i hve stopped using MH bulbs in it...my 600w system has a cool tube but i didn't want to shell out the cash for a MH bulb...plus my 600w is used in my flowering tent so no need for one...

I can get one at lowes pretty reasonably priced. I think I will give it a try and see what happens. My exhaust fan is connected directly to my hood and I have tempered glass between the bulb and plants. I would like to try it out.

I've been running a 400w switchable in my veg, and decided that it was overkill for my application. so I'm buying a 2' 4bulb t5 to put in veg, and moving the 400 in with my 600, to bump up the lumens. The 600 is enough for my space, but the 400 added in will be better.

Latest posts

Back