CFL's Underneath the Canopy?...Please Advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my three girls have begun flowering under a 400w HPS, and i was curious about something....

- Is it a good idea to put a cfl underneath the canopy to get more light onto the bottom sets of leaves? Would that benefit the plants in any way?

- Or is it bad to mix types of light sources? (ex: HPS & CFL)

Use them for side lights but not the bottom of the plant,
those little buggers that will never reach the canopy are just taking away
energy from the main buds anyways, i dont like to encourage them.

JMO

HI,

Mixing lighting is great for giving plants a broader range of the light spectrum but from what I've read it's not good to give plants light from under the leaves. I use a 6 tube 4 foot long T5 fluoro fixture that is mounted on the back wall of my bloom closet with red spectrum 'bloom' fluoro tubes and it's amazing how much darker my closet is with only my 1K on and the T5 off... So if you'd like to add more lighting do it from the side rather than underneath...

Peace!:cool:

I agree with dirtyolsouth.

Another trick is to use supplemental lighting hanging down inside of the circles of plants so that you get side light, (I even have a friend that hangs T-5s right down through the middle of individual plants, but I'm thinking that might be going too far.)but either way, turning the plants so different parts are facing the lights will also help unless you are fortunate enough to have lights all the way around the room and the area small enough that you don't get shadows.

Great smoking.

Great smoking

Latest posts

Back