cfm question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaboy88

stays blunted up
Reaction score
i have an area that is 22.5 sq ft or 180 cu. ft..wut power with the cfm fan would i b lookin for? i was thinkin a 465 cfm.. i would like an air exchange rate anywhere from 2-4 min.. i been lookin but i cant seem to find it.. can any1 tell me is there a mathematical solution i can use to figure out my problem or does some1 have an idea and would like to lend an opinion.. thanks

A 6" Vortex is 465 i believe which would be great for that room, 8" even better and will not have to work as much.

I'm using 8 sqft and have the 6" Vortex but I got more cfm then i needed so it barely has to work very hard and if i go bigger with space, which i won't, i will still have the right inline for the space.

jackson1 said:
A 6" Vortex is 465 i believe which would be great for that room, 8" even better and will not have to work as much.

I'm using 8 sqft and have the 6" Vortex but I got more cfm then i needed so it barely has to work very hard and if i go bigger with space, which i won't, i will still have the right inline for the space.

i was lookin at this.. would this work?
hxxp://www.graceshydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=2537

Length X width X( height X 1.2)= CFM's needed.
Greenhouse formula.
Thats to change air 1 time in a minute.

:)
Gb

flaboy88 said:
i was lookin at this.. would this work?
hxxp://www.graceshydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=2537

Couldn't tell what fan you posted, the link goes to the main page or something but I would go with what Marihuanaträumt posted as your guide. A good 6" 465 Vortex would work and work well but to get the room really cleared when you want, the 8" is the safer bet.

I would really consider buying a quality fan vs. the econo stuff though and get it over with.

GeezerBudd said:
Length X width X( height X 1.2)= CFM's needed.
Greenhouse formula.
Thats to change air 1 time in a minute.

:)
Gb

This is exactly it...if you want to exchange the air once a minute, if you want to exchange it 2x a minute take your cubic ft times 2, if you want to exchange it 3 times a minute, take your cubic feet times 3...I hope this helps.

If your adding a carbon filter on the end of this run you will want to figure in on the drag of the filter resistence. But if your exchanging air even one time per minute that is more than what is required, so the filter will not set you back that much.

The fan you have picked should be plenty. The books all call for air to be exchanged once every 3 minutes (varies slightly from book to book)...so you will have plenty of fresh air.

legalize_freedom said:
This is exactly it...if you want to exchange the air once a minute, if you want to exchange it 2x a minute take your cubic ft times 2, if you want to exchange it 3 times a minute, take your cubic feet times 3...I hope this helps.

If your adding a carbon filter on the end of this run you will want to figure in on the drag of the filter resistence. But if your exchanging air even one time per minute that is more than what is required, so the filter will not set you back that much.

The fan you have picked should be plenty. The books all call for air to be exchanged once every 3 minutes (varies slightly from book to book)...so you will have plenty of fresh air.

awesome... im gonna do a lil more in depth search for atleast a 540 cfm to atleast get 3 times a min but also see wut doesnt cost an arm and a leg.. i found a vortex 8" 747 cfm which would do 4 times a min about 275$.. i think if i got that wit the carbon filter ill b smooth sailing.. dude, you are awesome LF.. always on at the rite time to have every1's answers.. thanks man

go with a can fan. I have seen side by side test of can fans vs vortex fans. When both are running free they are similar in power. Once hooked up to a filter the vortex begins to struggle and fan speed slows noticeable. The can fan maintains its consistent power with out any drag from the filter.

I've got a can...but thats only because I got a good deal on it...and they have been around a good long time.

I never saw any tests.

thanks guys... ill have to look into it.. i saw a couple in that brand but didnt have high enough cfm's for me.. mayb i jus didnt look hard enough.. will def check again.. again, thanks for your responses and happy growin:)

I use CAP fans, alot of them.

Cheap

I can drive to replace if it breaks down

They have been running for almost year with turning off, maybe a few minutes for pest control.

All fans are loud. Insulate everything.

hxxp://www.growlightexpress.com/fans-blowers-ducting-87/inline-fans-88/

Best prices I've found on the net for inline fans but i don't believe they carry Can fans. However, side by side comparison or not the Vortex is a very good fan and I'm not experiencing loss of power or any struggling, working harder or anything with it being hooked up to anything, in fact it wants to speed up even more and i have to turn it down some. This would be like splitting hairs to compare them.

Nouvellechef cap fans huh? ill def give a look at.. i heard armaflex is somethin good to insulate wit.. any insulating suggestions?

jackson1 said:
hxxp://www.growlightexpress.com/fans-blowers-ducting-87/inline-fans-88/

Best prices I've found on the net for inline fans but i don't believe they carry Can fans. However, side by side comparison or not the Vortex is a very good fan and I'm not experiencing loss of power or any struggling, working harder or anything with it being hooked up to anything, in fact it wants to speed up even more and i have to turn it down some. This would be like splitting hairs to compare them.

thanks man.. ill def have my eye out for more experiences as opposed to manufacturers doin there side by side testing.... thanks again tho and happy growin

Armaflex is legit. But ghetto looking to wrap it tight. Insulated ducting absolutely for sure. The best is below. You cant hear a thing.

hxxp://americanhvacparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=duct-silver_flex_duct

I think CAP is great. I have many of there products.

nouvellechef said:
Armaflex is legit. But ghetto looking to wrap it tight. Insulated ducting absolutely for sure. The best is below. You cant hear a thing.

hxxp://americanhvacparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=duct-silver_flex_duct

I think CAP is great. I have many of there products.

awesome thanks NC.. i have been lookin for some air duct that is really good.. thanks for the link as well.. i think ima need probably like a 6' to 8' for intake and mite get a 12' or 14 for exhaust.. ya my lady keeps tellin me she cant sleep that well wit the 3 fans i got goin in there now so when i get the money ima make the investment not only for her but my other ladies as well:hubba: :hubba:

I know the duct is expensive. But it will last forever. just fyi, I run 4k CFM's and I live in the same house. wife was very upset about fan noise when first set. I bought cheap flex duct, etc. Big mistake.

I have heard conflicting reports that you can buy soundboard from Home Depot and just build box around the fan with ducting coming out both sides with flanges.

nouvellechef said:
I know the duct is expensive. But it will last forever. just fyi, I run 4k CFM's and I live in the same house. wife was very upset about fan noise when first set. I bought cheap flex duct, etc. Big mistake.

I have heard conflicting reports that you can buy soundboard from Home Depot and just build box around the fan with ducting coming out both sides with flanges.

ya, i have learned to not go cheap wit certain things in growing.. sometimes u jus gotta pay a pretty penny but u def get your money out of it.. that sounds lke a good idea wit building a box around it.. my only thing is ima need somewhere to put the fan (and possibly box casing now) when i have all the ladies in there as well.. i have 1 shelf but its the 1 that the system is hangin on and i dont want extra weight on it.. not that i dont trust my handyman skills but alot of my money and time have gone to this and would rather not have some unfortunate accident happen..

hxxp://www.pottube.com/watch/fc182d371c3e9ed31609/How-to-grow-marijuana-indoors---Part-2

Latest posts

Back