Chlorine/Chloromide Removal from Tap Water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyolsouth

Zen Trichome Labs
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought some products from a small organic nute manufacturer in Arkansas called Blue Mountain Organics. A buddy out west suggested that I try their Super Plant Tonic (SPT) this grow and I ordered a bottle. They sell the stuff on eBay and here's some info:

hXXp://www.angelfire.com/ar2/tts/bmospt.html

I'll do another post over in "Organics" on BMO but I wanted to pass on some good info I got from them on removing chlorine and chlorimide from tap water. Since tap water is so convenient and at about a penny per 5 gal at my local water rate, it's good info to know:

The best way to determine the type of chlorine being used in your tap water is to call your water department. You can ask them if they treat your water with chlorine or chlorimide (also called chloramine) which does not evaporate and must be chemically removed. Tell them you have several large fish tanks you are about to fill up and want to know which one is in your water. They get asked this question often, and know how to anwser it. We find if you start talking gardening with them, it often confuses them and they are unsure of how to anwser. If your water ends up having been treated with chlorine, bubbling it for a few hours, will make it more than adequate for use with our products and in your garden.

If it is treated with chlorimide (also called chloramine), then you can call either a local Pet Store or Swimming Pool Supply Store (usually cheaper than a pet store) and ask about products to remove the chlorimide. The chemical used to do this is called sodium thiosulfate. You can buy it in dry or liquid form. Once you apply the sodium thiosulfate into your water, using the directions provided on the product label, it will remove the chlorimides within minutes. Then bubbling your treated water for 2 hours removes most the sodium thiosulfate, since it's chemical bonds weaken quickly after reacting with the chlorimides. The trace amounts of sodium thiosulfate that remain after treatment, are not harmful to plants, people or fish. Plants, people and fish treat this chemical as an ammonia element and expel it quite easily. In the soil, bacteria will actually feed on it. That action in turn, helps free other insoluble elements bound in your soil.

You just never know... It seems if treated this way, tap water is actually healthy for your root structure...

Happy Growing!:cool:

these the same things (tablets) ya drop in fish tanks to disolve an help dissapate the chlrine/chloromide?
but your right man on the cheapness of tap water tho compoared to RO . and come winter, i got no excuse as to why i go to store for 15 gallons every coupel weeks LOL.
i gotta figure out how to use it tho.
i got one them aerorator pumps and hoses but got get the bubble stones for the ends.
i also got the ph up n down, and some other fish aquarium tyoe water conditioners/ammenders(?) lol
but only thing im tryin to finger is my tap PPM's are super high like above700 for sure, maybe closer to 800 accordin to them lil paper hardness test things tho LOL.
hows ya get to manipulating the ppm's liek reucing them without fancy RO unit?
but thanks for the info above too. anything that can assist me into gettin my tap useable would be notorious in my life :)

great info DOS! whats up zip? also u have 2b aware of the metal & mineral content also b4 you go gonzo on the city water. if that is w/in ckeck then yes use away, but for me only r.o. for my mj, but use city for veggie garden tea this way. EDIT: sorry should of finished reading your post zip. anyhow

zip you can get real cheap r.o. units online that pump out 10-20 gal a day. around a hundred bucks. pay for themselves quick. you will have 25% waste water to contend w/. makes for houseplant water or garden.

Not good.
"Plants, people and fish treat this chemical as an ammonia element and expel it quite easily"
Dang, somebody with an immune dif. problem would actualy die in a direct result of MJ. PLEASE tell me you don't! I can see people tryin this and messing stuff up more that already messed up!
NEWSFLASH- Man with HIV dies w/ bong in hand!
I do not/would not ever put this in the mix

Zip there killin ya, 800 ppm in the city water???????????????????DO NOT DRINK

Zip there killin ya, 800 ppm in the city water???????????????????DO NOT DRINK
:huh: you for real??? lol
i try not to drink it ever. wats worse yet is when ya do drink the tap water here for sum reason it just makes you even thirstier than ya was to begin wit LOL. and i know without testin taht the chlorine levels are hi as hell too jsu by smellin the water.
i believe that calcium is a huge part of the hi PPM's as everythin teh water gets on an dries it elaves horrible dried white calcium(i assume?) spots everywhere. hence the really hard water. mainly leaves hardcore hard white crust on everythin and builds up like mad on the faucets here.
ut if a cheap RO unit is only round a hundred $ i may as well invest to be honest tho.
i thought they was like 300 plus LOL

zip go to shopzilla.com the 1st ones listed r 4 fish tanks. kent marine is a leader in aquaria. then u can up grade to other add ons to filter other stuff. been a aquaria dealer for some time. replacement cartiges are cheap except membrane but dont have 2 replace that for awhile. pm me if u need 2.

Wow, thanks for the info. I was actually about to look this up.
My buddy uses an r-o setup. He tells me I should get one so he can get me using beneficials. I was hesitant because of the waste that runs out of his drain hose, I estimate it wastes 70+% of the water by looks.
I told him bubbling it would evap the chlorine but I did not know about the possibility of it being chlorimide. I figured the chlorine removal stuff I have for my fish tank wouldn't be harmful because I have live plants in there, but better safe than not.

this will never replace an ro system. it is a bandage not a cure.

BUT if you are growing in soil it isnt a problem. with hydro, all this stuff would do is make your tds go up which is bad. but in soil thats no prob.

my water has a ph of 7.4 out of the wall with a stooooopit Cl content. i use like 20 drops of conditioner and a splash of phdown with or without nutes to make a 5gal pot of water.

if you reuse your soil like i do you will need to give it a good flush/soak/wash/dry after you chop your plant out of it. using tap water will lead to odd metal/mineral/salt deposits

Lemmongrass said:
if you reuse your soil like i do you will need to give it a good flush/soak/wash/dry after you chop your plant out of it. using tap water will lead to odd metal/mineral/salt deposits

I am interested. You re-use your soil? What kind of soil? I thought you could only reuse things like hydroton. Have you ever had any problems? Sorry for a bunch of questions. :eek:

i just reuse my soil for my few outdoor plants after doin a good flush wit sum GH flora kleen i got. but i only use like a 1/4 reused soil my outdoor mix. i also been doin this an savin the old soil in a rubber tote to put into the vegie garden next year.
i figure that perlite isnt exactly all that cheap so i may as well get a second use of it if i can.
i also tried fillin a rubber tote wit soil in it but add water and wait for the perlite to float and scoop it out wit a lil fish aquarium net. its a PIta but it does work to salvage /reuse sum the perlite anyway...

Latest posts

Back