Choices to be Weighed and Made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto-Man

Noli urinae contra ventus
Reaction score
Greetings gentle people,

OK, I have a choice or two to make as I plan/remodel my grow space for my SCROG and these are my parameters:

1) Grow area is essentially 4'x3'x2'
2) On hand, a T5 4-bulb fixture w/ 6500 HO DayGrow tubes from HTG (total of 26000 lumens
3) Also on hand is a 1000W MH w/ ballast.
4) Fan can pull 50cfm and I will vent to the outside. I will also install a comparable (6") intake vent near the bottom below the (exhaust) fan

Will my temps get too hot in there for the 1000W MH light and its 4250 lumens per sq/ft? I don't think I can get the lamp more than 15"away from the top of the screen if my plants are like 10" in a 10" pot. This lamp gets hot!

Or should I use the T5 fixture w/ its 3250 lumens output? I imagine this will not generate much heat at all.

I'm doing this in my garage and it is fully insulated and has an AC unit too for warmer ambient temps. The garage also has an 18" fan in the ceiling/ roof for ambient cooling.

Once I'm in flowering, I will do HG's cool tube setup, which should be fine for my space, I think (!).

Thanks for your anticipated remarks, guys 'n gals!

Cheers,

M-M

It's actually 38" high.. thanks TF

M-M

1000w in that space will get pretty darn warm. Not saying you can't overcome that but would take a lot of venting. If your planing on flowering in this space I would look for a smaller hps for flowering.

Where you figuring you 1000w mh in the cool tube or another light?

you say its in a garage. can you build another larger room in a corner? a 4x4x6 would be about the size you'd need .

i'd do what had to be done to put those lights to good use.

how about adding on to the cab you've already got? is this possible?

yeah, a coolable hood would go far as to cooling that light...bb...

Unnecessary in a 4'x3'x2' box.
A 400w would be pretty hard to cool.
I have a 400w SCROG in a Homebox S (31"x31"x5') and have S&P fans for exhaust and intake in order to keep temps around 75* with 64-68* ambient temps.

Id try my hardest to put the input/output fans on opposite sides of the box.

Horizontal scrog?

I do a closet scrog. I'm running in a 48" x 36" x ??.
This is my plus... I have plenty of top room.
I've got two 250w HPS in this closet with two fans, one on top for exhaust and one in the lower end for intake. Cold air descends and hot air rises, yes?
I run right about 75 degrees, maybe a bit hotter. That is with the fans running continueously throughout the light cycle. I would say that 1000w, cool tube or not, is going to be a real pain to try and make work in your area. I would suggest the 400 or 600w. Or perhaps raising the lights a bit? I'd say my 250s are about 2'6" - 3' from my screen. Keep in mind as this is my first scrog I erred on the side of caution. Good thing too.... I've got heinous growth in the back of the screen and it is out of control.... but in a oh so good way. I'd say my tallest stalk is at least 6" off the screen if not more. That is about 2' from the tops. They are looking quite dandy if I do say so myself.

Id try my hardest to put the input/output fans on opposite sides of the box.

Horizontal scrog?

This is actually a great idea for the heat issue I think. If one fan is on one side and the other one is across from it, and the airflow path was right over the screen and right below the lights. Well, I would think that would immediately push hot air from the light and out. Maybe that would make a difference but big enough of one to use a 1000w.... I doubt it...

Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to go w/ the T5s for vegging, then I'll do 2 250W HPS in a cool tube for flowering.

I hate to waste the 1000W MHs - I have two w/ reflectors that a friend "loaned" me, and actually have a third one too from another buddy's construction site. But I just do not have the height and space yet.

I will build a proper flowering room in a few months. Getting ready to clean out the furnace room and I know I can make something compact (w/ carbon scrubber) in there.

Cheers,

M-M

Be careful with using the furnace room. If you have any odor issues it will spread through the house. I know from experience on this one.

my 1000w hps makes my roughly 7x7x7 or about 350 cubic feet room 85F. that is with the door flap left un sealed to flap open, an old metal fan that blows like a tornado, and a 40cfm light exhaust.

? Wait a second.
You keep saying MH 1000w...
Mh is what you use for veg. HPS is for bloom. Or maybe I misunderstood.

my 1000w hps makes my roughly 7x7x7 or about 350 cubic feet room 85F. that is with the door flap left un sealed to flap open, an old metal fan that blows like a tornado, and a 40cfm light exhaust.

Exactly what I was talking about....
Those things are so hot. You really have to have the space and the ventalation to do a 1000w.

Latest posts

Back