cleaning hydroton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmd420

SUPERBABY
Reaction score
I've had trouble for years with the pH of my solution.. I use new hydroton for each grow, so I'm thinking of using hydroton that has already been through a grow and stabilized pH..

Do folks use just water? Bleach solution? What works for ya'll?

Hydroton clay pebbles are made from pH neutral
clay. So I do not think this is causing your pH stabilization problems

I reuse mine and I clean it with a weak solution of bleach and water

That must get expensive not reusing youe hydroton...Like pc said its supposedly ph neutral, but I believe if you don't clean it well when you get it then it will throw off your ph.. the stuff is really really dusty ya know.

I am a dirt guy but hve dabbled in DWC and used hydroton when I did....it needs a real good cleaning when you first get it. It's real dusty...when I reused it next time I tried hydro again I did like pc. Jmo

PH neutral = 7 so I do believe it tends to raise my PH until its conditioned well.

Yep, I think with any medium that is very porous, it will need to be conditioned before using it or it will cause the PH to get off one direction or other.

Hydroton is also inert.

So there should not a pH issue.

Definition of inert in chemistry, not readily reacting with other elements or compounds

I reuse my hydroton and just give it a good hot water bath. Haven't had any noticeable problems thus far. (Note: I make sure the drain in the sink is only slightly open so the little pieces don't end up in the drain.)

I do like ishnish--I just rinse with nice warm water. I put mine in a 5 gal bucket with a large cheesecloth paint strainer in it. I spray the hydrotron off well with the shower nozzle while swishing the hydrotron around in the bucket. I pick out any small leaf bits that I might have missed and pull the strainer with the hydrotron in it and let it dry off some.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I do like ishnish--I just rinse with nice warm water. I put mine in a 5 gal bucket with a large cheesecloth paint strainer in it. I spray the hydrotron off well with the shower nozzle while swishing the hydrotron around in the bucket. I pick out any small leaf bits that I might have missed and pull the strainer with the hydrotron in it and let it dry off some.

I still have my used hydroton from the last grow, so I'll give this method a try..
I was thinking about using two buckets.. to avoid a buildup of residue in each, but this seems more simple..

:)

Latest posts

Back