clone length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer42

Reaction score
i am looking to pull a clone off each one of my plants for sexing purposes. how long dose this clone need to be to do this? i am planning on cutting the shoots, placing them in distiled water under a dome. i have a 4' florsent that i will set to 12 on 12 off. this will be the first time that i will be attempting this so if there is any other info that will make this process go better please let me know.

12 on and 12 off for the clone of to flower the plants? I like a good couple of inches to maybe three, I always notice the smaller ones root first it seems. That's what I think. Just don't put the clones on 12/12 unless you want really small end results.
I use regular clone domes, rapid rooters and olivias cloning gel. PH.is important. In another thread about clones we were talking PH levels for clones, I go around 5, which is really low by mj standards but it needs to be low, I won't say 5 is the only way to go but it will go faster if it's not high.

i think i was miss understood. i am only using the clones to determine the sex of my plant. once i know the sex i am going to dispose of them. then i am only going to put females out side. im am not looking to get any bud off the clones.

also is there a way to get my shoots to grow faster? some of my plants have 2 to 3 inch clones and some barley have started to grow.

if you top your plants that will make them stop growing up and make them grow out more...

as far as your clones...don't have to be too big to determine sex...take a lower branch off...as long as you can get it...these lower branches only give you popcorn anyway...so its an ok sacrifice ;)

so just to make sure before i screw some thing up. i can a clone that is like 1 to 2 inches long cut it off the plant, put it in distiled water without any root tone in a dome under 12 12 florsent and in 7 to 10 days i will beable to tell the sex of the plant.

i'm not sure about this, but doesn't the plant have to grow root first under 24/0 with CFL then when their ready, they can go 12/12? (i'm doing the exact same thing under 24/0 and about 5 days old cuttings already, but i'm using peat pellet)

Cuts do not require roots in order to determine sex.
i can a clone that is like 1 to 2 inches long cut it off the plant, put it in distiled water without any root tone in a dome under 12 12 florsent and in 7 to 10 days i will beable to tell the sex of the plant.
You got it dozer, though I prefer a cut that is 3-6 inches.
There is a term called "Super cropping", (a form of LST)it involves pinching/smashing the hurd of the mainstem, just below the upper most new growth. This restricts 'new growth' above the "pinch" and redirects it to lower branches. It will ais in getting those lower branches a li'l longer.

Latest posts

Back