cloning a budding plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnjabsgrow

Reaction score
my plant is just about 6 weeks into 12/12 and i was wondering if i could take a lower branch and clone it. i only have 2 females and none of the other seeds of this strain sprouted so im thinking about trying to clone a lower branch? any advise or thoughts?

Yeah it just takes a little longer to root. I have clones with little flowers on them now.

Stunzeed..

gunnjabsgrow said:
my plant is just about 6 weeks into 12/12 and i was wondering if i could take a lower branch and clone it. i only have 2 females and none of the other seeds of this strain sprouted so im thinking about trying to clone a lower branch? any advise or thoughts?

It will work.
when you take your clone take one with some bud and leaf, the new leaves emerge frome the bud.

To clone i usually take one of the brances that grow between a leaf and the stem. It's about the same as a top but just comes out the side. I'll try to post a picture with this growth circled.

Items used to clone:

-glass of water
-sharp clean razor
-root tone with an antifungal
-pot with soil

Step 1 - Cut the growth at a 45 degree angle with the cleaned razor.

step 2 - score the clone by the 45 degree cut three times on each side of the stem. just make three little scores with the razor to help form root growth, not deep but just score them at 45 degree angles as well.

step 3 - have the pot ready with soil and make sure it's already moist to make a comfortable home for the transplant. I use a pencil and poke a hole in the soil so i can insert the clone without knocking off the root tone.

step 4 - dip the clone into water about half an inch up the clone, then dip the same ammount into the root tone.

step 5 - put the clone into the hole and push dirt around it to prevent knocking off the root tone.

step 6 - spray it with a spray bottle and let it get some nice sun.

That should give you a good healthy clone. Good luck with this brother, peace!

i asked the same ? and thats what i was told...so....

Your also going to want to put a dome over it for a few days untill the roots take.mist with plain water..

I use nothing but fresh water and the bubble cloner I made in the DIY section of this forum.

Stunzeed..​

i think you should only take clones in the veg phase, it`s asking alot to revert back to veg and generate new roots at the same time, too much stress "IMO" could create a hermie man...

cuttings taken dureing flower(especially this late) are slower/more difficult to root. Once rooted, they then will take from a few to several weeks to begin revegging and begin new growth.
24/0 under blue flourescents is "my" preferred lighting schedule. The sun is a bit too intense for rooting cuts.."IMHO"

Soil Cloneing Tutorial

This is 2 clones taken from a flowering BM. Had no problem with them rooting or going hermie and I just started taking cuttings not long ago. IMO it's not nearly as difficult as one would think. I've rooted them with and without humidity domes too.
bud_1412.jpg

nice bbp...but were they revegged?
It doesn't "appear" so, judgeing by the size.
There's little doubt that "time line and success" wil be somewhat strain related. And admittedly, I have only attempted it minimal times. but in my experience..flowring cuts "always" took longer and were lower success rate than healthy vegging plants.
BUT..I've never had roots in 7-10 days, assome claim, either. My success rate is good, around 90% with most strains, I would say. But have never had the speed some have.

I've never had roots in 7-10 days
I don't think I have either. I'm quite sure the quickest mine have rooted were between 14-16 days. Yeah, I revegged them for about a month, I think, but def revegged. Didn't have the single leaves on her like my AK after rooting either.

How long should a clone be vegged for?Personal preference or is there a specific time window?

It's all about what you wanna do man. I mean, I have seen plants that my friends grow that have been vegged for a year or longer... and some that they started with 12/12. I reccomend vegging. My current plants are doing very well and they are two months into veg. My suggestion is this:

Veg them until they are the size you want, or until you are satisfied with their growth and then take a cutting. Let the cutting show you sex, then if it's a female flower the CUTTING. You know how people are always talking about their "moms"... well, that's what they are referring to. You keep your female in veg and flower the cuttings. That way, you always have a female plant in veg and you never have to worry about starting over from seed. Unless you want to of course!

Hope this helped.

~Metalchick

Latest posts

Back