Cloning - Anything else needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoko

Ignored Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 girls that are just over a month old, and around the 12" tall mark.

I want to get 2 or 4 clones from each of them.

Today I bought this 'cloning kit' from my local Hydro shop, and I think I'm missing something ... :(

The kit has the dome, some rockwool, some Propagating gel, and a sterile razor blade.

I see no solution of any sort to use, but see on the cloning sticky that it's mentioned.

Do I HAVE to have it, or is it just to improve chances or something ?!?

Also is there an ideal height or age to clone ?!?

I see on the sticky mention of taking a 4 - 5" clone, and that's currently possible with my 2 girls.

Oh and last one if you don't mind.

Will the stem that the clone is taken from shoot another stem? ... and is it true that clones are weaker than the mum they're taken from? They get weaker the further down the chain you go?

It's just I've been told this is the case. I have my reservations, but know you lot will put me right ... :)

Sorry for mishmash of an OP. Any answers will be appreciated ... :)

240620091949.jpg

240620091950.jpg

240620091952.jpg

Hey there, looks like you're ready to take some clones! The shoots on your plants are perfect to be clones.

I believe some growers like to add a root stimulator solution that they dip the stem into. It's not neccesary, by any means. Remember to soak the cubes for at least a few minutes. People like to soak them for 24 hours to adjust the PH of the cubes to something more tolerable for the cutting... I've had great success soaking my particular brand of cubes for a few minutes. Yours might even say on the packaging whether they need to be soaked for a longer period of time.

There's really no perfect height for a clone. I believe you can root the smallest of cuttings. I personally like taking a cutting that's at least 4 inches tall.

When planning on mass producing or having a mom, I like to let the first shoots from the main stem grow a multitude of branches and I would take those branches as cuttings. When you take a cutting from the main stem of the plant, you negate any chances of growing another shoot at that location. But since you just want to take a few, you're ok.

I believe the genetics become weaker down the line... around the fifth or six generation. If I remember correctly that is. Anything before that your genetics won't have any noticable lack of vigor or desirable traits. I'm sure a fellow grower could answer that question with more confidence.

Felt like typing today, as well as hopefully lending a helping hand! Think I'm going to smoke a sweet ole bowl of homegrown in a sec :):). Happy cloning!!!

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Hey there, looks like you're ready to take some clones! The shoots on your plants are perfect to be clones.

I believe some growers like to add a root stimulator solution that they dip the stem into. It's not neccesary, by any means. Remember to soak the cubes for at least a few minutes. People like to soak them for 24 hours to adjust the PH of the cubes to something more tolerable for the cutting... I've had great success soaking my particular brand of cubes for a few minutes. Yours might even say on the packaging whether they need to be soaked for a longer period of time.

There's really no perfect height for a clone. I believe you can root the smallest of cuttings. I personally like taking a cutting that's at least 4 inches tall.

When planning on mass producing or having a mom, I like to let the first shoots from the main stem grow a multitude of branches and I would take those branches as cuttings. When you take a cutting from the main stem of the plant, you negate any chances of growing another shoot at that location. But since you just want to take a few, you're ok.

I believe the genetics become weaker down the line... around the fifth or six generation. If I remember correctly that is. Anything before that your genetics won't have any noticable lack of vigor or desirable traits. I'm sure a fellow grower could answer that question with more confidence.

Felt like typing today, as well as hopefully lending a helping hand! Think I'm going to smoke a sweet ole bowl of homegrown in a sec :):). Happy cloning!!!
Hello mate ... :)

Well I've just got back from my local hydro shop and got some solution all the same. The guy there seemed to think this stuff isn't a MUST ... but will be good for them so I'll give a go. For anyone interested it's called Vitalink Seedling Feed or Plant Start.

On the losing potency down the line question, he didn't think a clone lost ANY potency, but like you say maybe 5 or 6 down the line could be a diff story.

Well we can grab at least 2 from each plant that are 4"+ so I think tonight the scapel is coming out! We've recently had a heap of rain fall so we've stocked up on some good ole rain water, so will soak a few cubes for a bit in that.

Thanks for clearing up my concern about cutting at the stem of the plant. I wasn't sure if anything would grow out of it, but cutting off a stem, from a stem (so to put it) makes perfect sense ... :)

Thanks

See how we go!

Can someone please confirm if I need to spray the leaves with water for the first few days?

I was told because the clone doesn't have any roots now, it can only be fed via the leaves so make sure to spray with water for the first couple of days.

True ?!?

Thanks

270620091990.jpg

i spray them twice a day everyday until i see roots
10-14 days, i have cloned the
same plant for 5 grows no noticable decrease in quality.
they look good, nice work.

maybe a bit to much stalk,
also i would trim those fan leaves back a bit, cut about 1/2 of each leaf off, it helps root development.

Smoko said:
See how we go!

Can someone please confirm if I need to spray the leaves with water for the first few days?

I was told because the clone doesn't have any roots now, it can only be fed via the leaves so make sure to spray with water for the first couple of days.

True ?!?

Thanks
I have never sprayed mine. There is always too much moisture in the dome already I think. Here is what I do.
I have B-cuzz rooting gel and Clonex complete clone nutrient.
  • Make your clone nutrient solution and soak cubes.
  • Take a cutting a couple nodes down just above a node. Make a 45 degree cut, and you can scrape a little of the outside stalk to expose the tender inside (I have never but I heard it helps)
  • (if you are taking a bunch of cuttings make sure to keep them in a cup of water until you are ready to dip them in gel and plant)
  • Dip in rooting hormone.
  • Squeeze cube to drain excess, but do not crush it!
  • I make a smaller hole in the cube next to the premade one with a paintbrush handle.
  • Insert cutting into presoaked rockwool cube
  • Put cubes in dome
  • Wipe humidity from inside of the dome daily
  • Watch the cubes moisture for the next week or two. Don't let them dry out, and don't keep them soaked.
HTH
Happy cloning:)

That is exactly what I do hanfhead down to the kids paint brush as a dibber.
One other I do is seal the propergater with gaffa tape, 100% R/H, I also take my cuttingd just before the night period of my veg room once in the sealed propergter I put them in a black bag for six hours and then gradually introduce them to the light (200w enviro), any way I think the paint brush is a "top tip" those holes they make are just to big.

Latest posts

Back