Cloning Question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
Is it possible to cut clones off a plant if you only have one grow room setup?

Or do you need two separate rooms? Does the plant you want to take clones from have to be in flowering in order to take the cuttings?

I have one room and I want to try cloning..I was hoping to maybe take a few cuttings from one of my plants and then have them catch up to the other plants already being grown for a while....

Is this possible? or even a good idea?

Hi Redeye-

Your idea is absolutely possible! It's actually best to keep the clones on the same light schedule as the mom IMHO. But, if you're using HID lighting, you want to keep the clones away from the direct intense light from your bulb, at least until they develop roots and harden off a bit.

Don't count on them catching up- but with some training of the mom (lst,hst), you should be able to get an even canopy.

Good luck and Happy Growing.:cool:

bbfan, does the mother have to be switched in 12/12 cycle and begin flowering in order to take cuttings though? and if so, once i have my cuttings, are u supposed to switch back to 18/6 cycle?

I'd build a simple light proof box for the clones if the room is 12/12. Weak flouro light @ 24 hrs is great for clones.

redeye88 said:
bbfan, does the mother have to be switched in 12/12 cycle and begin flowering in order to take cuttings though? and if so, once i have my cuttings, are u supposed to switch back to 18/6 cycle?

It's actually better to take clones from a mom that is not flowering....Clones don't need much light they need warmth and humidity....once they show good root growth you can veg them under 18/6 or even 24 hours of light...

Hi Redeye-

It is actually best that the plant not be in flower when you take the cuttings IMHO.

I think the only reason someone would put the plant in 12/12 first would be to determine sex. My grows have always shown sex at about 6 weeks- but I switch to 18/6 after the first 4 weeks.

So, if your plant hasn't shown sex yet, then you should absolutely find that out first before going through the effort of cloning only to find out you cloned a male! :eek:

But I would then switch back to veg for a few weeks before taking clones.

Just my thoughts. Happy Growing.:cool:

BBFan,

Please explain why you would stress the mom and set your harvest back by taking it from flower to veg, taking the clones, then putting it back into flower when the nearly unanimous opinion on the cloning threads is that a flowering plant cutting will clone just fine, only it will take longer to root? I'm sure you have a reason but I can't figure it out on my own -- especially when everyone is always talking about messing with lighting will cause hermies.

DonJones said:
BBFan,

Please explain why you would stress the mom and set your harvest back by taking it from flower to veg, taking the clones, then putting it back into flower when the nearly unanimous opinion on the cloning threads is that a flowering plant cutting will clone just fine, only it will take longer to root? I'm sure you have a reason but I can't figure it out on my own -- especially when everyone is always talking about messing with lighting will cause hermies.

That's not what he is saying Don...he is saying that it is best to not take a clone from a plant that is already flowering and the only reason to do this wld be if you had a plant of unknown sex and then put it into 12/12 for it to show sex then you cld clone it without the worry of it being male...I don't think he was talking about a mom plant....

Redeye, I have about 60 clones I took from various mothers from the early flowering stage. Cut 'em off, stuck 'em in wet sand with rootone and they're doing just fine after two weeks. Got 'm on the same light as the flowering mothers, 12/12. After my mom's are done I will trans the clones to larger pots and re-veg for a few weeks b4 forcing flowering again.
In other words, you can clone whenever you want buddy.

:yeahthat: It is best if you have already determined the sex of the Mother, that is why most people use clones for mother Plants but when you start from seed there is usually no choice.

The way I do it is to take clones(4+ from each plant marked carefully) from the Mother/:rant:Father switch the plants to 12/12 as they show sex kill the clones from any plants that show Male. Then keep 1 of these clones as a mother for the future.

Thank you Hampster.

That is pretty much what I was saying.

Hello DonJones-
I was suggesting to Redeye88, the original poster in this thread....

redeye88 said:
Is it possible to cut clones off a plant if you only have one grow room setup?

Or do you need two separate rooms? Does the plant you want to take clones from have to be in flowering in order to take the cuttings?

I have one room and I want to try cloning..I was hoping to maybe take a few cuttings from one of my plants and then have them catch up to the other plants already being grown for a while....

Is this possible? or even a good idea?

......that he should know sex first. He said he only has one grow space and was concerned about having the clones and the mom, some other plants he has going, and the clones all finish out at the same time, and in the same space.

This is something I am going through on my current grow. I had some severe nute burn early on so I took clones from the one healthy plant and trashed the rest. I too only have one space to grow in. But as I said, my plants already showed sex. The mom and the clones are all now flowering together, healthy and happy- and evenly.

If he had to flower the mom to determine sex, the clones from a flowering mom would take longer to root and harden than a clone from a vegging plant would take. I'm not an expert, but I would guess probably 3 weeks before the clones were rooted and hardened off. By then his other plants would be through the stretch and maintaining canopy would be, IMHO, a real challenge.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly. Happy Growing! :cool:

Latest posts

Back