cloning trouble...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighDroeD

Reaction score
im having trouble cloning..i figured i would clone the terminator..(my bag seed) to practice for when my cali hash and strawberry blue arrive..i want to have the whole cloning thing down by the time my good beans arrive..so um heres what im doing..im cutting the clones at 45 degree angles..using rooting hormone on exposed area immediately..then i clip the leaves..i even tryed the scraping to expose more stem..then coating with hormone method..nothing seems to be working..its been about 4 days for the clone underneath the wendys thing..and i started one today underneath some other plastic bottle ****..now my question is this..will my cheap *** methods ever work? or is cloning some uber expensive process and i have to pay 300 for some cloner...sheesh ive cloned houseplants in tap water *** is up? help would be appreciated :D

i read something about leaching nitrogen? now ive been spraying my plant with purified water for a while now..not knowing that it was called "foliar feeding" and it was leaching nitrogen..neway im rambling whAT i read said that i should leach b4 cloning..how long should i be doing that b4 attempting to clone? oh and also the "asteriks" wont happen again
:D apologies..but yea the nitrogen thing?

."I" don't personally worry about leeching anything. IMO the 'health' of the donor plant, is vital to the success of the cuttings. However,...Nitrogen promotes foliar/leaf growth, so an abundance might also contribute to slower rooting, I would suppose.

Hick IMO the 'health' of the donor plant said:
I just eliminated 2 mothers about 3years old for this reason. The last 4-5 times I took clones the success rate was continually dropping until it was down to like 50%, compared to 90% the first 2 years. I could've transplanted and flushed and possibly got better results but I was ready for something new. Good luck, and don't love them to death...sometimes less is more!

:) Don't put too much sweat and worry into it, the MORE you read about HOW TO DO IT the less chance yer gonna do it right 'cause you'll try too much cr@p at once to better yer chances. Wrong. You need a healthy donor plant 1st and foremost. You need fresh vigorous shoots to cut from. You need a medium to put the shoot in. Wether or not you want to use rooting hormone is up to you and the medium your starting the clones in. Some hormone treatments can actually delay flowering later on. Keep'em moist or wet, warm not hot, and a light source that's not tooo intence for the young shoots to be under. They wont need brilliant light until you get good roots etsablished and new leaves on top. Carefull if you float shoots supported by styrofoam or cork or whatnot as the contact point can become a point of rot. Hope this helps a bit. I'm on my plants fourth "regrow" and nearing harvest with fat tight buds but yield drops through every grow. A motherplant can only live so long because the tissues of the stalk becomes clogged and can't transport nutes anymore. Good luck!

Four days is not long enough for those roots to start. I have one of those "pricey" cloners, it takes more like ten days to show just bumps on the stem (here is where the roots will pop), and two weeks before there is enough roots to transplant to soil. I have also made clones in soil, and it takes time for the roots take off. I get leaf growth before I get roots sometimes in the cloner even. Patience. Make sure you keep the soil moist, and not close to the lights, gentle light, I put mine not quite under the floros, they get indirect light. I also only spray mine a couple times a day, if in soil, that keeps the soil moist too, but I keep careful watch on the soil, dont want it to dry out at all. Dont want it dripping wet either.
Good luck to you....
Patience.

ozzydiodude said:
The plants want to grow you just have to give them time

:yeahthat: Ozzy clones them without a dome in soil, mine just wilted and died when i tried that... You have to find "your" method... And Im sorry to say but somtimes that means failure, but you have to find a method that works for you...

The key is keeping the soil moist imo the plant wants water and will do what, it needs to do to live.

I think there's plans around for a simple cloning setup you can make yourself for not very much money Search for "Massproducer DWC".

I happened to pick up a cloning machine for real cheap, I just used the water spray (Mass Producer is correct here) that's all, and after 8-9 days I had nice root structure on all five. Then careful planting in FFOF soil w/ perlite :)

Good luck!

July-2009 007.jpg

Hick said:
cloning is as simple and inexpensive as 'you' want to make it. As simple as placing the cutting in a glass of water on the window sill, or a $300 custom built 'cloning machine'..;)
"PATIENCE" is your most valuable asset,... next to maybe our resource page -->http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396
...and of course, this one -->http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html

;)
Hick I disagree ! My wife tells me she is my most valuable asset ! And my fridge stung me $700 five years ago and its my latest cloning machine... but i do believe the Patience Routine ! Cheers and happy birthday ! ...i missed your last one !

I have an expensive cloner - the EZ CLONE. I have a 120 and 60 site. They can be difficult with-out practice and dedication to producing an envoronment that works. I recently started using rockwoll cubes. CHEAP. I use a big tuperware bin, cut and inserted a plexi cover on it so it fits snug. I use a perferated tray full of cubes soaked in low ph tap water. This tray sits on risers in side the bin. Under the tray I put about two inches of water with a bubbler in it. I take my cuttings - prepare them and put them in the rockwool - after placing the tray of clones on risers in the bin to keep them out of the water- I close the bin and place under a light - two to three times a day I'll spray them with water and reclose the bin. After 4 days I open the bin and leave under the light. In about a week I'll have roots. Rockwool is cheap - easy - and can be used in soil and hydro. I out produce the expensive machines with them. I use cloning gel and no nutes during cloning. I try to use air bubblers in all my water invovled - this always makes things root faster for me. good luck

I think it takes a greenthumb to pull off the cloning ! ( period ) So many use rockwool but you gotta soak them overnight and the ph is anybody's guess...And uumm they say that you gotta spray em and humidity and blah blah ! Yet i stick my tomatoe's in some water and have clones in 14 days...ish.. Yet i just put 9 clones in some peat pellets with some of this cloning gel (clonex ) And it better damn well work man ! Otherwise i just wasted 3 months on trying to become a Clonest ! LOL ! Weed is a weed so is a tomatoe !

lol@the clone dance...does air circulation help? i put a cpu fan inside my er..dome..its trippy lookin lol but neway..would the air blowing around help or hurt?

IMO it would hurt. When you clone in a dome you ussually mist the clones with PHed water 2 or 3 times a day. each time you mist the clones you change the air in the dome so a fan is not needed.

Latest posts

Back