coco watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WEEDKILLER

Reaction score
hi everyone,ive just transplanted into coco.they are 3 weeks old and 8 inches high and i hand water them.my kwestyun is how often should i feed them and how much.im using coco nutes at 1/2 strength and theyre in 5 gallon pots.should i feed once per day or only a couple of times a week.the coco stays damp-moist for quite a while and im concerned that there may not be enuff nutes left in the dampness after a couple of days.and how much liquid should they be given,a gallon,a pint a drowning?anyone else doin a coco grow ?thanks WK

I've played around with coco a bit. It sure is user (and ecologically) friendly!

ive just transplanted into coco.they are 3 weeks old and 8 inches high and i hand water them.my kwestyun is how often should i feed them and how much.im using coco nutes at 1/2 strength and theyre in 5 gallon pots.should i feed once per day or only a couple of times a week

My technique was to feed every other watering. This may be a cautious approach, but it worked for me:
If they can handle 1/2 strength, then you water with 1/2 strength nutrients.
When the pot dries out enough, add plain water.
When the pot dries out enough, add 1/2 strength again (or increase, if you think your plant can handle it~this is the (fun) guessing part of feeding)

the coco stays damp-moist for quite a while and im concerned that there may not be enuff nutes left in the dampness after a couple of days
Your right about it staying damp for a long time, I noticed this too. If I ever used coco again, I'd mix it with spagnum moss or something, so it'd hold less water.

Because of this, you have to be careful not to overwater. It's hard to kill your plant by over watering, but it'll slow it's growth.

I used the same kind of rules as I would for soil, to determine when to water.

Stick my finger in, feel if it's wet or not. Lift the pot, notice how heavy it is before/after I water.

I liked to wait until the top layer of coco got dry/brittle enough that it's color changed.

It can be hard to tell if your plant is underfed or not. The only way to really find out, is to give more nutrients to one of the plants, and notice how they respond.

Goodluck :)

I am currently using sphagum peat moss and perlite for a medium.

It seems to hold moisture very well.

I llike to dilute my nutes down to a trace level and feed each time I water.
So I feed and water at the same time. I also do it everyday right now as my 6" tall plants are all still in solo cups.

I figure maybe every other day when I move up to 6" pots.

I do like to just use water only to water them about every 4th or 5th feeding to flush any excess salt build up.

heres an update for anyone who may need the info,this was passed on to me by a real good coco grower.feed every day and give em enuff so that 10% runs out of the bottom of the pot.apparently this will wash out excess salt buildup when on full strength nutes.

I'm using it as an ammendment to soil. I love it!!!! but notice that watering if used with soil watering every 3-4 days is working out well.(my case my mentor on it said to try it with soil first till i get my teas chimed in). Just thought I'd drop my two bits in.
Thanks for starting this thread and all the replies good stuff...been following along eagerly. :aok:

Before i went Hydro i bought a bag and i thought it was amazing. The plants loved it. Great thread.

i love it too mate.i nearly spent a bundle on hydro equip untill i was told about coco.i transplated from potting mix at 2 weeks coz they were'nt doing so good and once over the shock they seemed to explode with growth and that was feeding every 2 days.now ive just gone to 12/12 and should be feeding every day but i'll only do that to 1 plant and compare the diff after a week or so.im really impressed with the results so far especially when this is my first grow ever.
definately recommend this style of growing to first timers like me to get used to nutes ect.now im doin lst and a scrog,gonna have to change my user name soon........cheers WK

Latest posts

Back